5.0 out of 5 stars How do I even begin...
I picked this up at midnight for the launch at Wal-Mart. I couldn't afford the band kit just yet, so this review is based solely on the Guitar Kit for the Wii.

Published on October 26, 2008 by Jack Treese

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful when buying this!
Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit for Wii

This is an excellent game....with one major problem....

Published on February 25, 2009 by NR Nightfox

5.0 out of 5 stars How do I even begin..., October 26, 2008
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)

And about that new guitar controller... it's just nothing short of amazing. The fret buttons are lightly spaced apart more, and we have a touch pad to work with. This pad is very useful for tapping during solos, making it easier to keep your multiplier going when you need it to. There's also a dedicated star power button next to a more sturdy strum bar. Add all of that to the more heavy-duty feel of the controller and you've got what Guitar Hero fans have been wanting since its start in 2005.

Now, the software... once again, it's fantastic. Wii owners like myself were disappointed when Guitar Hero III was released to the system sans downloadable content. The online capability was nice, but no new content left a stale taste after a while. This time around, Activision redeemed themselves by not only adding DLC, but allowing the option to save it to an SD card rather than to the limited memory on the Wii. The premium songs are reasonably priced at around 200 Wii Points (or $2) per song. Also, several online play modes have been added to keep you busy, even if you're limited to only one instrument.

There's a new Music Studio feature that allows you to make your own music and share it online with other players. While a very nice feature indeed, at first it can seem overwhelming with the vast variety of choices for your sound. This mode is best to be explored with a full band however. In the mean-time, there's a very fun (and very Wii-exclusive) feature called "Mii Freestyle," which enables even the most "newbish" players to make some beautiful sounds. One person can play with a guitar controller, while the other joins in with the drum kit or the Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

In addition, Quickplay now allows you to earn in-game cash while you're playing. Also, you're now able to pick up to six songs for your Quickplay session. In-game cash can be used to unlock bonus material, new guitars, new characters, and even new customizations for your own in-game character. Oh by the way, you can create your own rocker now too.

I may have even forgotten a few slight details, but the point is that no matter what route you go down, Guitar Hero World Tour is definitely a worthy title to add to your Wii collection, and is easily the most addicting video game of 2008.

Speaking of addicting...

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful when buying this!, February 25, 2009
Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit for Wii

This is an excellent game....with one major problem....

The mechanism used to make the guitar has one fault...the strum bar has given a lot of ppl including myself a lot of grief. The game itself is a masterpiece and I adored playing it however after about 3 1/2 weeks of playing it it stopped registering my down strokes. This is a common problem (you can search it and see).

On the other hand there are ppl who've purchased it and had no problems so it's a luck and chance thing I guess. Good Luck to those of you who decide to buy it. I hope you have better luck than I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Guitar Hero Game!!!, October 28, 2008
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
I give this game 5 stars for innovation, depth, playability, graphics, sound and overall fun, fun, fun! If you like guitar hero in general you will love this version! I did not buy the full kit only because my family seems not to love the drums and vocals parts. We purchased the guitar pack because we were interested in seeing how the new controller features worked. They are so much fun and add a whole new level of fun to this wonderfully original game.

The track list is simply amazing. First, the fact that there are just so many songs, way more than normal in such a game, made the game well worth the price. The range of genres represented is also impressive. It was as much fun for me to play a song by Nirvana as a real classic by the Allman Brothers. It really fed my inner rock monster!

The new controller and other new features (graphics and characters) make this game a blast. It is not your mother's guitar hero! Hmmm maybe not the best analogy, but the game really does have a new look and the controller variations are fund and realistic. I found the game to be a bit too easy on medium (where we usually start), but very challenging on hard! Rock On!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This game rocks, depending on the song..., November 17, 2008
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
I have to admit, I was skeptical when purchasing this game for the Wii. After seeing demos in game stores on the Xbox, I doubted the Wii could deliver the same experience. The over all graphics of the game are ok. For Wii standards I think they are pretty good. The menus look sharp and clean, the actual band performances however look like something from a PS2 or Xbox. But because I am so focused on the notes I have little time to gawk at the band on stage. Plus I don't have an HD cable connecting the Wii to my TV, so I am guessing that may be a factor as well.

They have a pretty wide range of songs in this game, so everyone is bound to find something they like, not sure "On the Road Again" is necessary, but this is "Guitar" Hero so I guess anyone who plays guitar can qualify. I was happy to see that there were some songs available for download, unfortunately not enough, I didn't see anything I would be interested in. Some are free others are 200 Wii points.

So far, after 2 weeks of playing, I have not run into any issues with the guitar. The strum bar can be annoying, as it makes this clicky sound when you "strum". But the more I played the less I noticed it.

I also enjoyed the Mii freestyle. As this only come with the guitar you can have a friend jam a long with the Wii-mote and Nun-chuck on drums.

2.0 out of 5 stars The game itself is fun but the guitar controller is lacking in quality, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
I find the guitar hero brand of games very enjoyable. The game itself is very fun and has a huge selection of songs. The guitar controller has failed after 1 month. Maybe I got a lemon? The strum bar doesn't work anymore. I had other controllers that are 2 years old and still working fine. That is why I gave it only 1 star for this package. I give the game 4 stars but the controller is not made for the long haul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, April 16, 2009
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
I was a little skeptical of this game at first because I figured there was no way that I'd be able to keep up to have fun but was surprised to find that there are enough skill levels even I could enjoy myself! I now have one of the older white guitar controllers too and can say that this one is definitely larger and feels a little more sturdy. That said I didn't have any problems with the old controller but had to return this new one for a replacement because there was a problem with the plug that connects to the Wii remote (2nd one has worked fine and Amazon's return service is comparable to none!). The new controller has a bar that you can "tap" on instead of using the buttons but I have yet to try that feature. It also has a large button you can press for star power but it seems impossible to get to for me so I just tilt the guitar (which is how the old guitar works too). I have to say one of my biggest regrets with this is that I didn't just go ahead and buy the complete guitar hero kit (particularly on the day it was a gold box special). Also, some other reviewers might have mentioned this but just in case I'd like to say that both the older guitar controller and the new one work with Rock Band 2. I've personally used both and had no problems. The only issue that I'm not sure about is that with GH there is a missed-note sound that comes out of the little speaker on the Wii remote but I haven't noticed that happening with RB. Maybe RB doesn't do that or maybe these controllers don't pick up that feature - either way it isn't a big deal and it's great to know that I can use the equipment with either game. Also, I can't say if they work with the first Rock Band game since I haven't tried that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy crow!, December 1, 2008
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
So, hubby and I waited outside of Target at o'dark o-clock in the morning on Black Friday to get this game on sale. We were planning on getting a Wii, but didn't have one yet. We got the game, then caved into temptation (we'll get our parents presents LATER haha) and found a Wii later on that day. We hooked the system up, and for the rest of the holiday weekend, while hubby was at work, I proceeded to play this game for 8-9 hours straight every day. I LOVE THIS GAME!

Granted, I have no way of rating this to other versions of GH, but I am very impressed with the quality of this game. The audio is crisp, clear, and true to the original songs, and the visuals are awesome (I kept missing notes when I'd glance up to watch my character).

My only gripe is that the Star Power button is hard to use on the guitar that's included in the kit...I almost always miss a note when I'm trying to activate it...I get SO teed when I get THIS close to 100% and mess up!

For a beginner, I would highly recommend this game!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Hero World Tour, January 9, 2009
The Double Lifter (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
The set list is refreshed and just as great as the other Guitar Hero games. I like the new features even though they are a little harder to work, but I guess it's the challenge that makes it fun. It's a little difficult to work around the new menu screens, but you get used to it quickly. A new difficulty level has been added-one below easy called Beginner which is good for people who lack the coordination to strum and hit the fret buttons in unison. All you have to do is strum at this level. I play on expert and the songs are great, but the gems are a bit smaller than they are on other Guitar Hero games. Overall, this is a five star game!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock Out Wii, October 26, 2008
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
When it comes down to music video games, Nintendo has really started to make a comeback with the need to rock out loud. While many gamers are very eager to jam their hearts into Rock Band anf lot the cute and clever style of Wii Music, there are those who just are itching to jam their way into Guitar Hero again. With the previous Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock and Aerosmith editions, there were still so many things that made some gamers not want to rock out loud then on the Wii. Largely, because unlike the Wii editions, the PS3 and Xbox 360 editions had the opportunity for gamers to download great songs online to add to the fun. Not only that, but for those who are still awaiting Rock Band 2 on the Wii until January, they might be more tempted to rock out loud for a world tour, Guitar Hero style.

Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Nintendo Wii, brings in a more fun for die hard fans of the franchise, and takes in more addictive gameplay for those who want to rock out loud. This time around, the game offers new features that are appealing to the eye of the tiger, and the excitement of the hard core gamer. Unlike Rock Band 2, there is a much more diverse song list here of songs that you can strum your way to the top to this tie around, that is sure to knock your socks off. You can play your way to songs ranging from classics from the 70's to guilty pleasures of today. You can score big points on songs like the Beastie Boys No Sleep Till Brooklyn, and Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer, to artists that've never been on a Guitar Hero game before including Van Halen's guitar driven Hot For Teacher, and Michael Jackson's Beat It. Yes, that's right, the King Of Pop is finally on a Guitar Hero game. There is much more diversity on the songs to jam to alone, that makes the game worthwhile for even classic music fans of 70's favorites that showcase well including Paul McCartney & Wings Band On The Run and The Eagles classic haunting hit, Hotel California.

There are also a few extra features that work well on the Wii version too. You can upload your Mii's and have them rock out loud to the beat of your favorite songs, and you can also create your own music too. With the new recording studio feature, you also can make it more challenging by making your own style songs and send them online so you can challenge other gamers to a wild-customized song that will blow you away. The graphics are well, but the gameplay here makes it much more addictive to appeal to the gamers' beat. You can challenge your way through the traditional story mode, or go online and challenge new rockers to rock out loud. The new extras make the game even more challneging, by adding more gameplay. To even it up with the success of Rock Band, you can also jam your way with drums and the tone of a rocking soul with the microphone here, which is a huge plus for the game, which makes the game more like your on stage, performing like your at halftime during the Super Bowl.

All in all, while Wii gamers might have to wait until next year to play Rock Band 2 on the Nintendo Wii, Guitar Hero: World Tour is definitely a game well-worth the while the tide down hard core wannabe rockers. While I also was a bit upset that the price is more expensive, when you also get the game with the drum kit too, at around $150 to the beat of the drums, it still works very well to the gameplay in mind. I really recommend this as your next Wii party game to say, I wanna Rock Out Loud! too.

Graphics: B

Sound: B+

Song list: A-

Control: B

Fun & Enjoyment: B for solo player; A- for multiplayer

Extras: B

Overall: B+

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better (and less expensive), January 31, 2010
This review is from: Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit (Video Game)
Overall, I think Guitar Hero for the Wii is really a fun game. By now, everyone knows how it works - it's essentially a rhythm game that (if you have the full band setup) also includes a karaoke element and allows four or more people to play at once. All that is great, but I do have a few complaints...

- The reliance on a Wii-mote for each guitar is really obnoxious. Buy this game for any other platform and all the electronics are included in the guitar, but for the Wii you're stuck not only paying the same price as everyone else does for the controller, but you have to have a Wii-mote to stick in it or all you've got is a vaguely guitar-shaped doorstop. That makes the total cost per guitar well over $100, which I think is too much.

- Although the games are quite inter-changeable in terms of instruments (you can use this guitar with Band Hero or any older Guitar Hero title, for instance) they haven't done a very good job of allowing you to lump all the music from the various titles in to a single playable collection. It sure would be nice to be able to click an option to install the music to a shared library on your Wii's SD card. Having to switch game discs just to get to a Van Halen song you'd like to play is a drag.

- I wish they wouldn't hide some of the tracks behind Tour play. My primary use for the game has been for parties - it's a great activity to center a party around - and I haven't really had much time to fiddle with the Tour mode of the game, but there are a number of tracks that are listed on the box but unavailable until unlocked during Tour play. Yes, there are cheat codes floating around, but even that seems like pointless hassle. Just give us an option to unlock all titles while in Free Play mode.

So, to summarize... great game, but I wish the cost to get a full band setup was lower and I wish it were a no-brainer to collect the music from all your titles into one play list.

Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit
Wii Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit by Activision Inc. (Nintendo Wii)
$189.37