5.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of fun for the whole family
Published on November 22, 2010 by Lauren A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay system
Wii has a some good games, and the motion controls add a new game play experience.
Although I think the Wii is kinda of expensive for what you get. The system is like 5 years behind the others in hardware and graphics, and still sells for around $200. Kinda of pricy considering you can get a PlayStation 3 for around $250.

If you plan on getting a Wii; try...
Published on July 3, 2012 by Sham66

5.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of fun for the whole family, November 22, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
My husband and I got a Wii for our birthday. We also have 3 kids, two of whom are old enough to play Wii games. Right out of the box, we found the Wii to be very intuitive. Set up was easy. He had it set up within a few minutes while I was putting the kids to bed (we wanted to try it out before letting the kids see it!) We immediately put in Wii Sports and found the game to be intuitive. We thought it was fun - my husband liked the Boxing best and I liked the Tennis best. We have really enjoyed Sports Resort as well. I think the swordplay is the overall favorite for 2 players, but we have also enjoyed Archery, Skydiving, Table Tennis (well, that's me!), and Frisbee (my husband). In addition to the included games, we got a few others. My 5 year old LOVES the Princess and the Frog Wii game. We also really enjoyed Just Dance! My 4 year old still doesn't understand the controllers, but she was able to participate in Just Dance! without them. My 5 year old and I both held the controllers (we only have 2 right now). Mario Kart is probably our favorite game! It is fun for adults and kids alike (though it is too hard for my 4 year old).

The reason we chose a Wii was the fact that it is fun for the whole family. With the games we have played, there are things for people with a range of ages and skill levels. I love that my kids can play and not get frustrated. We really enjoyed playing Wii games with family and guests. Because the Wii is intuitive, people who have never played before can easily join in with games such as Sports, Sports Resort, Mario Kart, and Wii Ski. Swordplay on Wii Sports Resort is a huge hit for social gatherings. I'm not saying that the games are really easy - only that it doesn't require hours of practice to have fun.

We aren't what I call serious gamers. My husband and I used to play a lot of computer games when we were younger and we had Nintendo systems as kids. But we haven't really played many video games as life got hectic. The Wii definitely has better graphics than what we had seen 7 or 8 years ago when we played video games more regularly. I think that the Wii really is the perfect system for a family.

For people interested in a Wii, you don't need to get too much extra other than what comes in the box since it comes with two games. However, it only comes with one controller - get a Remote Plus (you don't need Motion Plus with the Remote Plus and either Motion Plus or Remote Plus are necessary for Wii Sports Resort). I definitely recommend getting one more Remote (at least) so you can play with others. You may also want an additional Nunchuck. Last, consider getting a charging station.

As for games, shop around. There's something for everyone. I found that a LOT of games are available for significantly less than $50. Only the newest games are that pricey (and nearly all video games cost around $50 or more when they first come out). You may want to check out some gently used games too or renting them from your local video store. Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are fun games, but they aren't "classic" video games. The neat thing with Wii is that you can also revisit video games and characters that you enjoyed 20 years ago!

I wanted to point out that this packaging includes Remote Plus. If you are looking for this in a store, be sure that you buy the one with the Remote Plus. We actually initially bought a Wii at Best Buy but returned it before opening it once we realized that it came with the regular remote and the Motion plus instead of Remote Plus. Remote Plus is the newest Wii remote and does not require you to have a separate Motion Plus attachment.

OVERALL:

- Wii is an entertaining game system for the entire family. The Motion games are very intuitive and easy to use for anyone over the age of 5.
- The Wii White (and Black) hardware bundles come with the console, Remote Plus, Wii Sports, and Wii Sports Resort. The included games are NOT classic video games, but are lots of fun for a wide range of ages.
- You likely will need at least one more controller. Get the Wii Remote Plus, as it has the Wii Motion Plus capability, but doesn't require you to buy both the Wii Remote AND Motion Plus attachment.
- You may want to buy additional games. Try renting or check out some used ones for a lower price. There are lots of games for the entire family. You can find traditional video games for Wii as well as ones that take advantage of the Wii's motion sensing capability.
- Get a charging station, as Wii remotes go through batteries pretty quickly. We got this one: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome deal!, December 19, 2010
Endrea (TN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Hardware Bundle - Black (Console)
I bought the Wii for my husband and I. We are both in our 50's and not very good with your basic game controllers. I bought a PS2 a few years ago, but it is not easy to use at our age! We are not big gamers so I decided that for the winter months, the Wii would be great for us and it is the BEST game I have ever owned! It is so easy to set up and start using. Everything works as they said it would. My husband has broad shoulders and had a hard time with the size on the PS2 controller. He would be sore from only sitting and playing. We found that with the Wii, we get great exercise playing the games as well and we notice how the muscles we don't often use are given a workout! Time flies too when playing! I have searched for months for a good price on the Wii, and Amazon has EVERYONE beat with this bundle! I also got the extra controller, nunchuk and the charger that is offered as well that was rated 5 stars. I am waiting for that to arrive. Plus, I did order more games as well since we enjoy being a part of the game.
Overall I give this a 5 start rating thus far. I have a logitech keyboard coming too since the Wii console also easily picked up my wireless internet and we can go online now from our living room with a nice large screen to surf the web. This was a win win for us! You can't go wrong if you are considering which console to get from the 3 main games out there. This is hands down the best deal there is out there and again, at $177.00, a real steal! You don't have to get a second controller off the bat, but Amazon had that on sale as well. Even if you are in your 50's or older, and have been thinking about getting a game console, this is your best bet. It is much more user friendly and there is not tons of buttons to figure out to play the game. It is basic and low stress! Just let the fun begin!
Lastly delivery was faster than what they said it would be which was great! The games give you a quick tutorial and you can play alone or against one another quickly. The other deal I am going to get in on is Netflix downloads for the Wii. It is cheap and you can cut your cable bill down by paying only $7.99 a month to download unlimited movies to your TV. I can't WAIT to cancel some of my cable options! There won't be any discs to return unless you want the option for $1.00 more to get movies via disc. I hope this helps anyone who was undecided! You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy this is to use. Happy holidays and enjoy the Wii! Wish I got one sooner!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Console!, December 3, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Even though the Wii's graphics aren't as great as the PS3's and Xbox 360's, the quality of games on the Wii show how fun it is. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are some of the best games and Mario Kart Wii is still incredibly fun. The Wii is more designed to be a family friendly console versus the PS3 and Xbox 360's shooter games. Whether you should purchase a Wii or not depends on what type of games you want to play. If you want casual games, buy a Wii, if you want hardcore games buy a PS3 or Xbox 360. In general, the Wii is one of the greatest consoles of all time and is worth every cent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to introduce non-gamers to video games, December 11, 2010
bpaul (Columbus Ohio) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm 29, and I have a lot of family that has never enjoyed video games prior to the Wii. They always thought they were too uncoordinated, or that it looked boring just pressing a bunch of buttons while watching a screen. The Wii changed this for all of them.

I've not only convinced my 60 year old parents to give the Wii a try, but they purchased their own Wii! They love that they don't have to memorize a bunch of different button commands - the gameplay is very intuitive for many family-friendly games. Want to swing the tennis racket? Swing your arm. Want to sword fight - move your arm as if a sword is in your hand.

It may not have the high-def graphics that hardcore gamers are looking for, but the Wii provides an experience that is meant to bring people together to play, and that is what makes it so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing!, November 22, 2010
Melanie Consoli "full of win" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Hardware Bundle - Black (Console)
Love it, can't stop playing - would highly recommend to anyone looking to purchase a new game console. Honestly, I originally thought the included games (Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort) seemed a little cheesy, but they are actually VERY fun, and we've played them for hours at a time. We also got the Wii fit plus bundle, and got a $50 credit toward another game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful System / Extremely Fun To Play, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Wii Hardware Bundle - Black (Console)
I ordered the Black Nintendo Wii for my son. I waited to buy the Nintendo Wii for last believing Ps3 and Xbox 360 were better systems. Well graphics wise they are, but in interactivity and fun Nintendo is the big dog. The Wii is more fun to play than the Ps3 and Xbox 360 for the simple fact of the way its made to play and the games Nintendo makes. The Wii Motionplus remote is awesome along with the Nunchuck remote that connects to it for dual hand controlling. The Games such as Resident Evil 4 and Pokemon are so much fun to play and have a unique experience since they are played so differently with the Wiis controller setup. The system it self took my breath away it is so small half the size of the Ps3 and Xbox 360. The Black Glossy finish make it look so elegant and just tough. You can play Nintendo Gamecube games on it so its backwards compatible. You can also plug in Nintendo Gamecube controllers in as well in 4 slots specially made for the Nintendo Gamecube remotes. You can add more memory to the system with SD memory cards. My son loves the system and so do I; I am mad at myself for waiting so long to buy it but glad that I finally have it. I would recommend the Nintendo Wii to everyone for sure. 10 stars all the way a top of the line must have system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets Expectations, January 3, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
When the Wii first came out, I was pretty impressed. I loved the concept, but wasn't willing to pay upwards of $250 + extra controllers and games for it. After waiting a couple years, I was finally able to get this one for what I consider a reasonable price: $150 for the Wii, one controller, one nunchuk, Wii Sports, and Wii Sports Resort.
Here's what you need to know if you are going to buy a Wii:
-Depending on the size of your family, you probably will only need 2-4 controllers. Some games limit the number of players (for example, even if you have 6 controllers, only 4 people can play tennis at a time). Other games allow more players to play even with a limited number of controllers (i.e. 4 people can play golf with 2 controllers).
-Nunchuks are necessary if you like fighting. When you first start out, you don't need nunchuks. This bundle will give you one - that's all you'll need for now unless you love all the fighting games. The only game you will need the nunchuk for on Wii Sports is boxing. If you aren't interested in that or the Super Mario Smash Brothers (another fighting game), additional nunchuks are not necessary.
-Don't buy a charging station. It's a waste of money unless you plan to play your Wii like a full time job. Otherwise, the batteries should last a good long while.
-If you don't want to pay so much for controllers, look for games that come with them (i.e. Wii Play). It's not a great game, but I found the Wii Play on sale for less than the controller would cost. The game was a bonus.
Overall, the Wii is nice. Decent, albeit expensive, family fun. I would purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for exercising on your own, December 18, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
For less than a year's gym membership, the Wii, with the balance board and other exercise software, is excellent for keeping fit on your own. No gas, no automobile, no walking alone, no class scheduling worries ...

Can't beat it. The "trainers" and benchmarks provided by the games provide that motivational edge for me, that working alone with DVDs doesn't provide. I love it!

(The games I'm using: Wii Fitness Plus, Just Dance 2, EA Sports Active: More Workouts (along with the EA Sports Active Accessories Pack), Walk it Out, and the Aerobics Step Platform for Wii Fit -- more than enough to give me a different workout each day, 7 days a week.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Wii - 3/10/11 Review, March 10, 2011
This review is from: Wii Hardware Bundle - Black (Console)
Most people know what the wii is so I'll quickly type in what I've learned in the short time I've had it. I went with four stars because I'm grumbling about the lack of ability to play DVD's without hacking the game.

1.) Not all games are interactive or physical. Wii owners know this but I didn't. Resident evil and a samurai game were sit on the couch games that were actually more difficult for me to play on the wii and standard controllers would be better.

2.) The sensor for wii controlers is best set under or over the TV. I've been playing with it off to the side because I didn't want to stick it to the screen. I've since lost the stickies... oops. Definitely attach for better game play.

3.) Contents:
- Wii
- Wii stand
- Power cord
- Monitor cord for sound and visual (AV on remotes when looking for viewing screen)
- (2) games for sports
- (1) wiimote
- (1) nunchuck
- (1) sensor bar that you'll want to attach to the top or underneath your screen with the ideal height likely being whichever is closer to waist. Includes some stickies
- (2) disposable AA panasonic batteries for wiimote
- Instruction booklet in three or four different languages (english is in the front)

4.) Extras you'll want to pick-up particularly if you're not the only one playing:
- Rechargeable dual station with batters and custom covers to allow easy charging
- (1) wiimote
- (1) nunchuck

5.) Wii fitness was more work than game. Disappointed. I was hoping that the fun sports games would be carried over. The running portion through the park was pretty fun, but don't wave with the wiimote in your hand or you'll go flying in front of your run partner. I was hoping it would end up more fun than work, but felt like more work than fun. Experiences may vary, but be aware that most are set up as exercises as opposed to games and the games that are there didn't flick my switch but others may find enjoyable.

6.) The sports games are freaking awesome and a blast to play and I'll likely do this more than the fitness.

7.) THIS DOES NOT PLAY DVDS!!! Going online it looks like you can purchase a hack but default is no DVD playing and hacks are purchase at your own risk with NIntendo likely attempting to unhack every update. This is stupid and would have possibly changed my purchase plan if i'd known.

8.) It can access the internet and play netflix. Both things require broadband and access through the wii store and will download to the wii. The netflix comes with a 1 month free trial if you don't have and is another reason I was looking at a wii.

9.) The wii can be wireless and is pretty easy to set-up. (can be wired to)

10.) It's a clean simple look that's elegant.

11.) Syncing up new items is pretty easy. The wiimote is as simple as hitting the sync button on the wiimote and then wii. The fitness pad will walk you through it as it's set up the first time.

12.) The game is very friendly sounding and will walk you through tutorials on most everything. A is your friend if you no longer need walk throughs.

Overall this is a nice system and I have no regret over the purchase although You can likely hear me grumbling about the lack of DVD. For most people, you probably have 20 dvd players floating around the house. I haven't owned a TV in 10 years, so my only dvd player is via computer/laptop.

Purchase a playstation if you want a high end game and ability to play blue rays/dvds/cds. It also has the same motion system but I understand the games aren't quite as fun despite far better graphics.

Purchase a wii if you want fun interactive games and realize it won't play dvd's and if you're okay with lower quality graphics. Most reviews stated the fun level of the wii was higher as was the interactive friend, family time. Again it will depend on games. If I were looking for a "real" video game counsel the wii would not be my purchase. I was looking for active, fun, and ability to share games/compete.

Realize that not all wii games are fun/interactive with others so read reviews for play styles.

There are a ton of reviews. I hope this helps someone. I made it more specific to my experience because I figure most reviews cover so many other things better than i would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii is the best, November 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It is the best gaming console for all ages. Gets you moving and also gets you to use your other skills. The Wii sports is a classic with baseball, golf, boxing, bowling and tennis. Every few days, when you play it, you will enjoy it again and again. Remote is responsive and console is great also for watching streaming movies from some movie rental services. Built-in wifi makes it a great gaming console.

Wii Hardware Bundle - Black
Wii Hardware Bundle - Black by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
$315.99