5.0 out of 5 stars Wii SAVER - Just remember it may not me the fix for all
Published on February 24, 2011 by irish121199

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not fix read disc error
Published on June 20, 2010 by Carolyn Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii SAVER - Just remember it may not me the fix for all, February 24, 2011
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
As my 11 year old son came in the living room a week ago, face falling to the floor, he declares that the Wii is "broken". He just received a new game for Christmas and has been playing it happily since. I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting things so after a few mintues I see that it's a disc read error. The Wii is not reading any of our discs. Fortunately, with some patience I can get the Wii to recognize the disc after inserting and ejecting it multiple times, but obviously, this will not do. ( Eleven year olds do not have the patience to perform this action as needed, and I don't have the time to do this on a regular basis)

On Nintendo's site they offer up the advice of cleaning the lens on the Wii before offering to generously set up a pick up to fix your Wii for a small fortune (that as a single mom I can't fork out). In Nintendo's style they say that the only lens cleaning kit you can use is the one they make because, like all other products that are not Nintendo, they will ruin the Wii, destroy your lawn, and end the world (I have an Energizer Wii remote charger that works....please don't tell them). However, in this case....They are correct. And don't let anyone tell you different.

I thought that like any other lens on any other machine you should be able to just clean it. So did the folks at 3 of the stores I went to that did not carry the Nintendo Lens Cleaning Kit. Use anything they said. You can't. Leave it to Nintendo to come up with something so bizarre looking that no one on the planet would even bother duplicating it for bootleg purposes. Fortunately, it's cheap.

AND IT WORKS!!! It's weird to use. And I really thought it was going to be some gimmick before I shipped off the hard drive, but behold.......The discs are being read, the boy is happy, and Mom is free to write this review and get laundry done and complain that he's playing Nintendo too much.

It is probably not the fix for every disc read error that comes over a Wii players screen, but it DEFINITELY worth trying before you ship the Wii out for repairs. Gunk does build up in there (No smoking in the house but we do have one dog)....and with more then one cleaning pad, you get many passes at fixing the issue. And it makes you a superhero, if for that one moment before your child's eyes glaze over to the next Wii game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my "Press the Eject button and remove the disc" problem., May 24, 2009
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
After a year and a half w/o any problems with my Wii console, I started getting "An error has occurred. Press the Eject button and remove the disc..." errors. These got more and more frequent until I was getting them a couple times an hour. (This usually happened while I was playing Mario Kart Wii online, so I was losing hundreds of VR points each time I got the error!) There was no visible damage to the game disc and cleaning the disc did not help. I was pretty much ready to either send in the Wii console for repairs or else buy a new Wii console when I came across this Wii Lens Cleaning Kit while searching online.

After using the cleaning kit, I have not gotten a single "Press the Eject button and remove the disc..." error. It's been about a month and half so far with no errors.

The cleaning kit is pretty simple. It consists of a plastic paddle with an attached cleaning pad. You put 2-3 drops of the supplied cleaning fluid on the pad, then insert the paddle into the Wii's disc slot. You wiggle the handle 10-20 times to clean the lens. Press the Eject button to remove the paddle, and you're done. The kit comes with an 8ml bottle of cleaning fluid and 5 adhesive replacement pads for when the current pad gets too dirty to use again.

Spending $10 on a cleaning kit was definitely better than sending in the Wii for repairs or buying a new Wii.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works SPECIFICALLY for dirty lenses ONLY, April 28, 2014
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
I bought my Wii 1-2 years after launch, which is around six years ago at this point. I SPECIFICALLY had the problem of a dirty lens, which causes the Wii to have a single, SPECIFIC problem: it can no longer play dual-layer disc games, a category which includes the very popular Super Smash Bros Brawl. Chances are, if you're reading this review right now, it's because your Wii will no longer play that game. I knew that the Wii had a dirty, NOT DAMAGED, lens because it still played all Gamecube and single-layer Wii games just fine. I bought this product, used it as directed, and voila, my Wii is working like new.

A couple of things that you MUST consider before purchasing this item:

1) If your Wii CANNOT read ANY games at all, chances are that your lenses is OUTRIGHT DAMAGED, not merely dirty. There are too many misguided reviews that do not make this distinction. THIS PRODUCT CANNOT REPAIR A DAMAGED LENS, PERIOD. If your Wii cannot read ANY games, it means you need to replace your lens, which in turns means you are better off replacing it due to the comparable cost. I would STRONGLY suggest either upgrading to the Wii U, which is fully backwards-compatible with all Wii games and accessories AND upscales them to 1080P, or purchasing a new Wii Mini. If you rely on your Wii for Gamecube backwards compatibility, however, please note that the Wii Mini and NEWER model Wiis (the ones bundled with Mario Kart Wii and newer) DO NOT have this capability anymore. My suggestion would then be to purchase a separate used Gamecube for those needs, as you can find that system for a low price these days. If you purchase a used Wii, please be aware that this problem is nigh inevitable to happen to you again at some point. Please consider #2.

2) Wiis are notorious for having dirty lenses because of the design of the system. The disc slot is always open and exposed, meaning that, even if you are meticulous with your discs, dust and dirt can still get trapped in the disc drive easily. Furthermore, the Wii does not read CD or DVD formats AT ALL, which means that ANY disc cleaner OTHER than this product will NOT work. Typical disc cleaners have a disc with built-in brushes that you "play" as either a CD or DVD. If you try to run those products in your Wii, the disc will never be "read," which means that it will never spin enough times to actually work.

3) I tried Youtube-guided DIY methods first, like taking a CD you don't want anymore and taping a microfiber cloth to it. None of these methods worked for me. This official product worked on the very first try. YMMV.

4) This product is technically discontinued by the manufacturer, so you are paying a premium price. At this point, you can only buy it off resellers for around $20. The official Nintendo store lists the item as out of stock, probably for good. Because of this, you must ensure that you only have a DIRTY and not DAMAGED lens using the descriptions outlined. Paying $20 and expecting something to fix your broken lens is a waste and you might as well put that money towards purchasing a new unit.

5) This product includes six total pads, one attached to the paddle and five refills. The instructions say that you can continue to use a pad until it is visibly dirty, so it isn't like you only get six tries and that's it. The Wii lens does seem to be very sensitive, as after using it I detected a SINGLE HAIR that had to be removed and nothing else. That single hair stopped the Wii from being able to read dual-layer discs.

6) The pad is aligned to the paddle in a very specific location and includes a nub that you lay the pad over. That nub is actually what sticks out of the paddle to clean the lens, with the aid of the pad and applied alcohol solution. It seems like a very low-tech solution due to the design of the Wii itself, but trust me when I say that it would be almost impossible to replicate the exact placement of the cleaning pad without the actual product.

7) Even though it only comes with six pads, what is really valuable is having the paddle and the placement of the nub. You can easily find DIY replacements once you run out of pads and alcohol.

8) This kit DOES NOT work on the Wii U. That system has its own method of cleaning the lens. And yes, that system doesn't read CDs, DVDs, or Blu-Rays either.

I hope I have given you the relative information and cleared up some misconceptions that are out there. Please feel free to respond, as I know many of you folks are awesome parents trying to fix your Wiis for your kids. Thanks for reading!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not fix read disc error, June 20, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
After reading some of the reviews for the lens cleaning kit I was hopeful that using it would fix our Wii which is not reading discs. After following the instructions, we tried a few games to see if the Wii would work but instead of telling us it could not read the disc it now says system error. So I guess we will have to get our Wii repaired or get a new one. So, if you order this in hopes of fixing the read disc error, be prepared that it might not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok, This is no game., September 8, 2010
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
I'm amused by the fact that the ratings questions for this product are as follows:

How much fun is this game?
How do you rate this game overall?

So to refocus this review (pun intended)....

This Wii Lense Cleaning Kit restored my Wii console to top notch condition.
Whereas disc reading errors had become a matter of course, the console now reads right away, and again operates in accordance
with it's manufacturer's specifications Shipping was timely and the purchasing process was excellent through Amazon as always.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wii Lens cleaning kit did not solve my problem., October 15, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
I ordered this cleaning kit to help solve a disc read error problem I was having with my Wii. Sadly after using the entire kit and cleaning my Wii ten times it still did not solve my problem.

I would like to note that replacing the laser (which I would not say was easy, but costs about the same as the cleaning kit) did work.

5.0 out of 5 stars good maintenance habit - order from manufacturer and save cash!, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
NOTE: SAVE MONEY! Don't buy this product for $30+. Since Amazon stopped carrying it, the third party sellers are charging way too much. *I bought this from the manufacturer's website for around $16 after shipping.* Charging $40 for a $10 product is borderline unethical.

While my Wii rarely returns disc read errors -- unless of course, the disc was scratched -- I decided to order this product in order to keep my Wii in optimal condition. Over time, the laser on the Wii can collect dust and grime, the buildup of which will interfere with the laser's job of reading discs. After running the cleaning kit, I can clearly see the buildup it has removed. This is a great maintenance practice to keep my Wii in top shape; I imagine that, if left alone for too long, a dirty laser can result in permanent damage.

This product WILL NOT fix broken or faulty hardware anymore than wiping a scratched disc will fix the disc. It's a maintenance product designed to simply clean the laser. If this product doesn't improve your Wii's performance (and you aren't using bad discs), then your Wii likely has a hardware issue that will require repair or replacement. (Good news: while I can't vouch for the price or quality of Nintendo's repairs, they will renew your warranty for a whole year after they fix your Wii, and they will also deduct the price of the MSRP of this product from your repair costs.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii Lens Cleaner, April 19, 2009
J. A. Easton (Unadilla, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
Bought this to keep our Wii console in good running condition.Easy to use and does a good job. A good Wii product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, July 24, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
Purchased this after a few of my son'd brand new games did not work. I heard that this might be due to a dirty lens. Scanned the new and found this item. Purchased it because it was a Nintendo Product.

Shipping and order was quick and well done on Amazon

Followed the instructions and it appeared to work. The pad looked dirty so I assumed it was clean and fixed. Then the same error happened for my kids game again.

Talked to a guy at Game Stop. He said that Nintendo pulled the cleaners because they did not clean the whole lens. The only way to clean it right is to contact Nintendo and send the box in for a professional cleaning..

Not a happy camper on this note, but should have been a little suspicious when I could only find these cleaners online.

It was quicker to just buy a new Wii...

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Smash Bros Brawl works again!, March 15, 2010
txnaomi (Spring, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (Video Game)
I bought this a little over a month ago because SSBB stopped working on the Wii upstairs, but when I tried it in the Wii downstairs it worked perfectly. After a google search I discovered what many others did about the lens getting dirty and not being able to adequately read the disc anymore. I figured for ten bucks it was worth giving this a try before having to send it in for cleaning! After just one cleaning cycle, the game worked again and hasn't had a problem since. Definitely give this a try before anything else!

Wii Lens Cleaning Kit
Wii Lens Cleaning Kit by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
Used & New from: $49.95