5.0 out of 5 stars I was reluctant, but Wii Party is Tons of Fun!
I'm new to Wii, and after wasting over a hundred dollars on crappy games only to trade them in for pennies on the dollar, I was leery about throwing more money away. Thankfully, Wii Party is a huge hit at our house!

Published on October 5, 2010 by Kaio

3.0 out of 5 stars Wii Party [REVIEW]
Published on November 14, 2010 by Antoine D. Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars I was reluctant, but Wii Party is Tons of Fun!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)

My reaction to Wii games seems to be instantaneous -- I either love or hate them within the first few minutes of play. And believe me, it doesn't feel good to spend 50 dollars on a game only to realize you've just thrown your money away. And after buying one dud game after another, Wii Party had a lot riding against it in my mind. But I really wanted something else to play other than my fave, Wii Sports Resort. So I decided to give it one more try, bit the bullet, and bought Wii Party -- and boy, am I glad I did!

The trailer for this game really doesn't do it justice. I was thinking this game might be kinda lame, but it really has to be experienced to be appreciated. Like Sports Resort, I'm very impressed with the programming, thought and imagination that went into this. Wii has taken the potentially boring concept of party games and created something quite wonderful, not to mention fun. Unlike New Carnival Games, which was one inane game fragment after another, Wii Party has come up with an inventive way to thread everything together and create an enjoyable gaming experience.

The Host is NOT speaking Japanese!

Wii Party has a cute character that hosts the entire game. I've seen some text and video reviews complaining that he speaks Japanese -- well, I'm not fluent, but I do speak some Japanese, and the host of Wii Party is NOT speaking Japanese. He's not speaking anything, it's just a made up language so the same game can be manufactured for distribution throughout the world. That way, only the onscreen text would change to fit the appropriate country's language, which is easy to accomplish with simple encoding. The host speaks to the players as if they are watching and participating in a game show. And the instructions are displayed as text onscreen. I've read some complaints about this, but since when is teaching children how to read a bad thing?! And for the adults, it gives the opportunity to read the instructions more than once if necessary, to make sure one understands how to play each game. Personally, I like the host and think he's cute. Whenever he comes on screen, it brings a smile to my face. It kinda reminds me of a cross between a quirky Sesame Street puppet and a Cirque du Soleil character. Their Vegas show, Mystere, has a similar character (who is even dressed in a similarly colored costume) and he helps thread the whole show together -- as does the host in Wii Party. And like Cirque, it makes no difference that he's speaking in a foreign tongue, or in this case, a completely made-up one.

Practice Rounds

I appreciated that each game has the option to do practice rounds. It helps immensely to read the instructions, do a practice, then re-read the instructions again to clarify. You can do as many practice rounds as you like, and some of the games can be tricky, so this is a big plus. The games are all very fun but it takes some getting used to, as far as how the controls work and respond, so practicing before doing the actual game is a good thing.

Laugh Out Loud Fun

Every game we've played so far had us all literally laughing aloud, pointing at the screen and the time just flew by. Hours felt like minutes and it was midnight before we realized we had stayed up way too late playing games. But if laughter is the best medicine, then it was time well spent.

Board Game Island -- was very unique and a really good time, even if bad rolls of the dice occasionally messed things up for us. The neat thing is, computer controlled Mii characters will play along too, so if there's only 2 human players, the computer will play the 2 others so there's a full squad of four. This makes board games more interesting than just playing with 2. But there are plenty of 1, 2 and 4 player games -- literally something for everybody.

Balance Boat -- is really neat too. You have to balance a predetermined number of Miis on a sailboat's masts, making sure not to topple the whole thing over and into the sea. Each round has a mini game that requires 2 players to work as a team. If you play the mini game well and get it right, you get to balance 2 Miis of the same size. If not, the Miis are ridiculously different sizes, making balancing the pair onto the boat much more difficult. So as the game goes on, it gets harder and harder, and funnier too!

The mini games are amazing! Landing your Mii on the moon with space jet packs, flying through space avoiding asteroids, flying a helicopter and saving other Miis with a safety line, chopping trees with an axe, dune buggies, balance mazes, Match Up where you match the Miis wandering the town square... even Bingo was fun and entertaining thanks to the mini games. And you're not playing bingo with numbers, but with Mii faces! The list of great games goes on and on! There's even a silly one where you swing from a vine like Tarzan -- just one vine and you swing as hard as you can to see how far you'll fly! We managed to exit the stratosphere and fly past a UFO!! Unlike all the other wasted money on crappy games, we're literally going to have hours and hours of fun with this one! What a relief to finally find a game worth the purchase price, and then some!

I guess I'm learning that I prefer games that integrate the Miis we've made. We found a website with instructions on how to make celebrity Miis and it's a lot of fun to see them incorporated into these games. Rescuing your faves, finding them in a crowd, matching them up, having them cheer you on as a player when you win or do well -- it's really a nice touch and adds another element of fun to it all. There's even a dating type game that gauges 2 players compatibility -- Friend Connection -- it's not necessarily a dating game, it just reminded me of the Newlywed Game. But any 2 people can play it and see how they match up as good friends or whatever.

Another feature I like -- when you're at the game's main menu that lists all there is to play, if you hover over each game, it gives an estimate of how long it'll take to play (5 min, 30 min, 45 min, etc.) Obviously, game time can vary based on what you do and how much you practice, but it's cool to know an estimate of how long each game might take.

Bottom Line -- just like Sports Resort, Wii Party is definitely a game I'll come back to again and again! Literally hours and hours of fun to be had here, and after all the wasted money on bad games, this one has renewed my faith in Wii games. I love Wii Party and can't say enough good about it!!! What a blast!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a group, October 4, 2010
Kindle Customer (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
We like it. Lots of minigames, pretty good load time, and lots of ways to play. You do not have to commit to an hour or anything, its nice that you can pick it up and play for a few minutes only if you want to. We also have all of the Mario Party games and I think this is more fun. The mini games are not re-hashed versions of Mario Party games. It is NOT an in-depth, serious game, but is great for what it is, a party game. My family and I played it a bunch (mom, dad, teen-ager) and all of us had a good time. I think that it is worth the price. It is also easy enough for anyone, making it a nice choice for all ages to play together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining., October 7, 2010
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
I wanted to write my first ever Amazon review after being very well entertained for 4 days now with Wii Party. The review was going to be very detailed. However, I believe I'm on the same page as Kaio, and almost wrote the same positive review nearly verbatim, so I scrapped it.

Let me say that I'm 30 years old and tend not to buy as many games as I used to, but I get that itch once in awhile to purchase a game, or should I say a Nintendo game for that matter? And tend to keep an eye out for what's coming out. After being fairly entertained with Wii sports and having played Mario Party in the past, Wii Party piqued my interest. I was going to wait a month or so to see how well the game would be received except that I received an email on launch day stating that Walmart was giving away a Free Wii-mote with the purchase of Wii Party (I found that to be false). So I cruised over to the local Walmart only to impulse buy Wii Party promotion-less.

Wii Party sat unopened for a full day due to the fact that I read some underwhelming reviews by some reputable gaming websites and early Amazon reviewers claiming the game was a conservatively made title by nintendo that wasn't very entertaining. I was afraid if I cracked the seal, I would've wasted more money on games that get light use.

After peer pressure by my friend to play the game, I opened that package and since then we've been Wii Party evangelists. We have played it with 5 different friends and a family of mixed ages, resulting in a blast every time and multiple copies purchased in just a couple days.

I haven't played by myself yet and don't really plan to, however, the two-player games are entertaining, mini-games are well made, and the more players-the merrier. Some reviewers griped that anything less than 3- players playing at a time is boring, but I've had a blast with the 2-player Mario Party-esque board game mode, and the co-op ship balancing challenge. For more insight on how I feel overall, check out Kaio's review... I had the same expectations before the purchase and experience with the game.

The only reason I gave it four stars was because I felt Nintendo should've made a Mario Kart type leaderboard challenge for the House Party games. Maybe they did and I overlooked it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wii Party [REVIEW], November 14, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was looking forward to trying out Nintendo Wii's Wii Party. Basically, this is the party or entertainment game to get. The game is packed with lots of interactive fun and games including a Monopoly-like board game where your Mii character races toward the finish line and competes in mini games to determine who moves first; hide-and-seek with the Wii remote; a hot-potato like game where you pass the Wii remote between players and much more.

For those who have played Mario Party 8, Wii Party may not seem as fun because the gist of Wii Party is basically the same grounds for Mario Party without the Nintendo characters. Sure, there are some new games to play but I couldn't move beyond the realization that Wii Party is a bit of a copy or slight upgrade to the Mario Party series - without Mario, Luigi, Peach and the gang. I also didn't understand the board-game part of Wii Party that has you playing a mini-game in between each move on the board to determine who gets to roll first. Some of the single player mode games really aren't engaging and drag on. The more players you have playing with you the better in terms of Wii Party. What's good about Wii Party as opposed to Mario Party is that there are many more "brain" games included that cause for you to have to not only interact and engage through the Wii remote but games that also require you to think quickly on your feet.

In all, a decent game. This is called Wii "Party" so play it with a group of people. The more people and Wii remotes involved, the busier, funner and more engaged you'll be. For those who've played Mario Party and are wondering if it's worth investing in this game - not really. While there are a few new games, a lot of Wii Party feels like Mario Party 8 verbatim.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for kids & family, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
My family picked this up yesterday even though I wasn't thrilled about paying full price for a new game. We have boys 3 & 6. We played this game through the evening yesterday and they bolted out of bed and dressed in seconds with the promise of a few more minutes before the bus/carpool arrived.
The best part of this game is the variety of different types of gameplay. Unlike Wii Sport, or Wii Sports Resort, there are what seems like a hundred options. This may seem overwhelming, but the setup makes it easy. I love that the menus actually give you an estimated time that each game will take so that you don't start something only to have to stop for bedtime or risk everyone being exhausted tomorrow. The game times range from 5 min to an hour.
In a nutshell, this is a great game for kids to play with or without adults, for a family to play with or without kids. It is unlikely, however, that our group of adult friends who love to get together for game night will spend much time playing this game. We're not drunks, but we like to have a couple of drinks and play board games, rock band, just dance, etc... We'll try this, but it will probably end up being what we use to entertain the kids while we head back to the table for Partini. But, I could definitely see us playing with Grandma & Grandpa for hours.
P. S.: One reviewer commented that the game host only speaks Japanese. This is not true. He does not speak English or Japanese, but what I would call 'Mumbling Jibberish'. You have to read his comments like any Wii game I have played including any from the Mario Bros. franchise. The speaking sound he makes is only for effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for everybody!, October 12, 2010
ceLeon (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
When I saw the trailer for this game I got really excited after my HUGE disappointment with Mario Party 8 a few years ago, Mario Party modes were really slow. It took forever for everyone to roll the dice and read all the message boxes and everything, and then the minigame was just 20 seconds long. Wii party modes are faster, better and more fun!
The minigames use not only all the possibilities we've seen in mario party or rayman RR with the Wiimote but there are some of the new ones that my friends and I were really impressed with. As with most of the party games, it is for all ages, we had 9 year olds and 60 year olds too and we all had a lot of fun, it took some more explaining with some...
Don't mind the bad review about the japanese language, it is NOT Japanese! I understand how for parents with little kids it would be a better option to have an audio explanation of each game, but I think none of the mario party games did it... so there is no point in complaining about the lack of it.

GREAT GAME!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, October 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wii Party isn't the greatest game out there, but it is a lot more fun than I expected, particularly for older folks. It's not just for kids. The mini-games are great when you're pressed for time, whereas House Party games and whatnot take longer but are equally fun. Time bomb is particularly enjoyable. You hand the remote from player to player, trying to beat the clock, but the trick is that if you move to fast or jiggle the controller too much the bomb goes off. Sounds dumb, I know, but I've wasted hours with that thing. The graphics are similar to what you'd expect from Wii, as are the controls, though the color seems a little off, particularly on some of the matching games where it's critical to perceive colors. I haven't seen a full list of what's included, nor have I played all of them yet, but here's a start: House Party games include things like Animal Tracker, Hide n' Hunt, Time Bomb, and Word Bomb. Party games include Board Game Island, Globe Trot, Swap Meet, Spinoff, and Bingo. Pair Games include Friend Connection, Balance Boat, and Match Up. Mini games work for single as well as multiple players and include things like Derby Dash, Smile Snap, Chop Chops, Walk Off, Shifty Gifts, Flap Hurdles, Flying Fruit, Lumber Whacks, Splash Bash, Poserobics, Hide-and-Peek, Commuter Count, Timber Topple, Delivery Duel, Roll to the Goal, Channel Changers, Spring Time, Flycycle Team, Fishin' Buddies, Bumper Crops, Robot Factory, Flashlight Frights, Basket Bonanza, Marching Orders, Garden Gridlock, Tippy Traverse, Banana Blockade, and Clover Hunt.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Next Party, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
When it has came down to Nintendo, they have definitely delivered with gamers of all ages. Thanks to the Wii, there have been so many new gamers of all ages that know and love. Now, older gamers and younger gamers have been playing much more than they've even been. Thanks to classics like Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo has really shown the new way to play. But after a few years, Nintendo decided to shake it up a bit. After the success of the Mario Party series from the N64 days, all the way to Mario Part 8 a few years ago for the Wii. It really changed the way we played with Mario Party. But with the success of Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit, it was only time until Nintendo decided to make the Wii Party, and here it is.

Wii Party for the Nintendo Wii, brings all we've loved from Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit, to the simple roll of the dice, all the way to play with the Wii-Mote. The gameplay is simple and straight-forward, as you and as many as 3 other friends challenge each other to 70+ mini-games. The games are simple and full of fun as you and your friends can compete against each other in games, from challenging games like Animal Tracker, where you simply put your Wii-motes down and scramble to match the right Wii-mote, with the actual animal sound, Balance Boat where you have to try to align your favorite Mii's and make sure they don't rock the boat too much where they'll all tip over and fall, all the way to word bomb. A game sort of like hot potato, where each player has to spell out a word that fits a category, before time is up, and the word bomb explodes. There are also some unique boards here to play on like Globe Trot, a colorful board that you can play on in a miniature world and collect the most coins, and Spin-off where 4 players compete on a giant wheel, and gamble their way to break the bank.

All in all, there is so much to play and love about Wii Party. It is definitely a real treat for anyone who wants a great party to call their own. While it will appeal to anyone who loves all the great mini-games, there is so much about it that just works well. Although the game isn't distinctive to the appeal and love that made Mario Party the signature series of video board games, it still shows that Nintendo can really branch out, and make mini-games for everyone. If you've loved Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit, than give Wii Party a try. It really gives the Mii's a nice turn of the board to call their own.

Graphics: B

Sound: B

Control: B+

Fun & Enjoyment: B for solo play; B 1/2+ for multiplayer

Overall: B 1/2+

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the entire family!, November 2, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Wii Party game is, simply put, awesome! In particular, our family (parents, grandparents and a boy and a girl under 7) enjoyed the "BoardGame." It really is well designed, with a lot of imagination, so that the entire family can play together. Wii Party has many fun little games involved in the board game and is appropriate for all ages. There is so much game variety that we haven't come close to playing all the available options...but we are looking forward to it. This is a game that will provide years of enjoyment, even as the children grow and play the more challenging games.

A couple examples of the games that we were surprised at: the little basic math facts review and a challenge at balancing weights depending on where on a beam they are placed. The youngest really liked this one. The sheer variety also gives this something of an educational value by having the children focus on different skills depending on the game. (Math skills, listening skills, coordination, etc.) Some of the game may be a bit challenging for kids under 7 to play, but we found that they catch on fast with a little help from an adult. And quickly turn around and teach the adults a thing or two! The mini-games are also good because you do not have to commit hours and hours to a game to make progress. Also nice is the option for cooperative play, and not just competitive. This encouraged the kids to work together. Another plus is the game has beautiful, brightly colored graphics. Seeing their avatar mii makes them feel like they are in the game. Overall, a great family game that I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars better than sports Resort, October 23, 2010
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
if you were disspointed in sports resort like i was and need another quality wii party family game. this is it.

with resort the use of motion plus made it hard for my mom and dad to play along..im sure your graandma would have a hard time hgetting good at those games also..

however with wii party a lot of it is luck based..the board game island is tons of fun and even if you lose all the minigames you can still win. hide the wiimote is also one of the best games on the disc and you will see why when you try it.

shirt color matchup game is good for more advanced players with good memory skills... wheel of fortune type game seems like it might be fun... reminds me of the wheel part of tv show king... the other games are ok to but those are my favorites.

this is an official nintendo product.. dont buy those other cheap party games... get this.

Wii Party
Wii Party by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
$39.99 $37.68