Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Sun Care Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Wii Party forum

Wii Party or Mario Party?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2010 7:07:18 PM PDT
William Lam says:
Although Wii Party will release soon, so which party game is the best? The Wii one or the Mario one?

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 6:21:27 PM PDT
Alberto says:
From the videos I've seen.... definitely Wii Party! Looks lot of fun and with many creative minigames that make good use of Wiimote.

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 9:17:04 AM PDT
I've played Mario Party 8 a few years ago, and I loved it, I really hope Wii Party can do what the Mario Party franchise has delivered for Nintendo.

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 5:50:19 PM PDT
I'd rather have another Mario Party, but I guess this will do.

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 10:56:14 PM PDT
Apparently Wii Party is shipping with an extra Wiimote included (like Wii Play). Plus the minigames look either cool or creative.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 9:44:44 AM PDT
B. C. says:
Are the games only for multiplayer?

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 4:29:43 PM PDT
B.C.,

There are single player modes, but it is possible that not all of the minigames will be playable in these modes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2010 1:19:08 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
My2censworth...where are you seeing this information??? I just read the product description and there is no mention whatsoever of this game coming with an extra wiimote!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2010 1:14:35 PM PDT
A.K. Warder says:
Here's a source citing that the game would be bundled with a Wiimote:
http://www.totalvideogames.com/Wii-Party/news/Buy-A-Wii-Remote-Get-Wii-Party-15609.html

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 1:14:03 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
Yeah..that is apparently in the UK..not here.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 7:02:07 AM PST
Wii Party has better mini-games... but Mario Party has the better board game layouts and how you play the game overall.

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 1:00:01 PM PST
As Mario Party 8 came out in 2007 and Wii Party came out in 2010, it is quite obvious that they listened to feedback and ironed out some of the kinks with Wii Party.

In Wii Party, you play the mini-game *before* you roll the dice, and it matters whether you get 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. In Mario Party, 1st place gets the coins and everyone else gets nothing and the mini-game in the final round (after everyone has rolled) is pretty much meaningless.

In Wii party, who rolls first is determined each round by the mini-game. In Mario Party, it is determined at the beginning and doesn't change.

In Wii Party, Player 1 hits the A button to cycle through the text when it is the computer player's turn. In Mario Party, the computer takes care of it thereby making it virtually impossible to read the text fast enough to see what is going on.

In Wii Party, they do a great job of putting a colored circle around the A button symbol to denote which player needs to hit the button. It's a nice touch. Mario Party doesn't have that feature.

Wii Party only has one traditional type of game board in "Board Game Island", but they have several other different modes that are much different (though still relying on the same core of mini-games). Mario Party has multiple boards, but that's pretty much it. I like Wii Party's additional game modes, but I do wish Wii Party had more boards to choose from for "Board Game Island" than the one. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to add another board layout.

I think the mini-game intro screen which explains the rules and controls of each mini-game is much more intuitive and easier to look at on Wii Party than it is with Mario Party.

Mario Party allows for playing the game in teams. Wii Party has some 2 player co-op modes (like the Friend Compatibility thing), but nothing for the board game style set-ups.

Both are fun games, though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii Party forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wii Party
Wii Party by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.5 out of 5 stars (535)