Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wii U Pro Controller - White
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 23, 2012
I purchased this controller with the new Wii U console. I have used this controller to play both Darksiders II and Assassin's Creed III. The battery life lasts longer than most controllers that I have encountered and feels comfortable throughout extended gameplay.

The construction is of good quality and like all of Nintendo's products- it is well-built. I have read complaints that this is a copy of a 360 controller. But, I personally was excited when I first saw a picture of this controller. I own a 360, and I love the wireless controller for the 360. But this aside, after playing with the Wii U Pro Controller, the feel of the controller is actually different than the 360 controller. Different but still great.

Nintendo's reall innovation comes with the new GamePad, but this makes a great alternative. This was basically a side-note from Nintendo designed to epease the rage from all the whiners that wanted Nintendo to be more hardcore. It delivers in every way as a great alternative for extended play in RPGs and Shooters.

Another great thing to note is that this controller comes with an eight foot mini USB cord, which makes it very convenient to plug the controller into the console and still continue gameplay.

Like all Wii games, the Wii U games state on back of the case which controllers are compatible with each game. Plus, this is a secondary controller. Please make special note of this before giving a poor review to a great product.
on December 2, 2012
The Wii had a reputation (not entirely justified) about only being for casual gamers, and supposedly Nintendo is positioning the Wii U to regain that lost market share with more third party titles. Now, admittedly, this analyzation is oversimplifying matters; sure, the Wii had lots of casual party titles, but over the course of its six year lifespan there were some remarkably deep game titles, many of them exclusive. Likewise, the Wii missed out on several heavy hitting titles that appeared on the PS3 and XBOX360, in part due to the radically different control schemes.

I believe this controller is part of Nintendo's strategy to court those third party developers. Yes, with the Wii's motion controllers and the Wii U's Gamepad (which is a perfect fit for the tablet-driven gaming we are so prominently seeing), Nintendo has unique, innovative control schemes that you just don't see in other consoles. At least, not at launch anyway. Sure, Microsoft introduced Kinect, but years after Nintendo showed the gaming community and Grandma what motion control gaming is all about.

For those 3rd party developers who want to publish their games on the Wii U, but want to minimize production and development costs by leveraging already existing content available on other platforms to a similar controller configuration, this controller is a Godsend. Part of the attraction of the Wii U is the Gamepad, and I'm sure the bigger companies will work their magic with the Gamepad.

But lets face the truth: there will be several multi-platform franchises that the developers will be able to ease production costs by utilizing the Pro Controller. Due to the similarities of controllers on the other two platforms made publishing them in a multisystem environment much easier; with the Wii there were design challenges based on the controls that simply are not present on the other two systems.

For Nintendo's own IPs, of course they want us to use the Wiimote and the Gamepad. No, the Pro Controller does not work with "New Super Mario Bros. U" and "Nintendoland", but then again, the Pro Controller is really for 3rd party developers.

Those who complain this controller doesn't work with Mario and Nintendoland are totall missing the point. Both titles were built from the ground up with the Gamepad and motion controls in mind. I'm sure Nintendo will publish games compatible with this controller; after all, it's their own hardware. However, Nintendo's real concentration is the Gamepad and Mario and Nintendoland are their premier examples of what can be done with this new tablet controller..

As far as battery life, ergonomics, etc, everything checks out fantastically. The controller comes with a long USB charging cable. Ergonomically all the buttons are easily within reach, and feels like an updated, wireless XBOX 360 controller. There are dual anaologues, a D pad, start, select, a home button, and a power button, along with four buttons on the top of the controller.

The black model (like the Wii U itself), does tend to appear smudged from time to time due to handling but these are easily wiped off with a clothe.

The battery life is amazing. I was skeptical about the 80 hours, but having put the Wii U and its hardware though the chops, I can verify that timespan is an accurate estimate.
Obviously, the controller is wireless. I've truly became conditioned for wireless. I hooked up my Gamecube a few months back and had to play with my controller tethered to the console itself; wireless technology is simply fantastic. No more cords, and so much more flexibility!

While I understand the controller not working with Wii games, I am disappointed that you can't use the controller for Virtual Console/Wiiware titles. Nintendo stated that the Wii U Pro Controller is based on the Classic Controller for the Wii, so it is rather strange the controller doesn't work with virtual content. After all, that's largely what the Classic Controller was built for in the first place. Hopefully these two issues will be addressed in a future update.

All the big third party titles fully support the Pro Controller (Assassin's Creed III, Arkham City, Darksiders II, Epic Mickey 2, Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, ZombiU, etc) in addition to the Gamepad. While I am certain that future heavy hitting third party titles will utilize the Gamepad in some fashion, the Pro Controller allows Nintendo to tap back into that so called "hardcore" gamer demographic and is one more indicator that shows that Nintendo is serious about taping into all the various demographics for a strong market share.

Although perhaps not an essential purchase yet, as we enter the Wii U era and more and more games are published, the Wii U Pro Controller will become an essential purchase.
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 29, 2013
The controller itself is very good. I like that Nintendo basically ripped off Microsoft's Xbox 360 controller, since that is one of the best controllers ever designed. The only real difference is the right analog stick is positioned higher, and the 360's controller has a crappy D-pad (they fixed that on the Xbox One controller though).

I very much enjoy that this is a standalone controller. I like the old Wii's classic controller (with dual analogs), but hated that it had to be connected to a Wiimote to use. This one doesn't need to be connected to anything else, but that also explains the higher price.

The sticks, buttons, and triggers all feel very nice and are comfortable to use. It depends on your game library, but there are many many games out there that I would HIGHLY recommend this over a Wiimote for. But if you mostly play single-player games, the Wii U gamepad makes for a decent controller too, so you may not need to get one of these. For multiplayer games though, don't force your family/friends/guests to use a Wiimote when there is this much better controller you could purchase instead. :)

Overall, I picked this one because it was 10 bucks cheaper than the black version. Probably since they cleaned out the pointless 8GB Wii Us, and only sell black 32GB ones now. I'll probably get another one soon in black though. 3-4 of these will almost certainly be a necessary purchase once Mario Kart 8 and the next Smash Bros are out, so in the meantime you may want to just keep an eye on them and buy them during any sales or price drops.
on December 3, 2013
One of the best controllers I have ever used. I love the size of it too. The position of the thumb sticks are perfect in my opinion. Your thumbs seem to just go to them naturally without any effort when picking up the controller. Other controllers I have used I need to stretch my thumbs one way or the other to reach the sticks. This one fits my hands the best.

When I got a PS4, it took some getting used to the PS4 controller, and made me miss the Wii U Pro controller.
on October 21, 2013
I bought this to use on my pc, and I intend to buy a wii u eventually. I really like the xbox 360 controller, but all 3 I've owned have trouble with buttons sticking. One of them started doing it 3 days after I bought new. I would take them apart and clean them, but a few days later they would be back to sticking.
I think the wii u pro controller is just as comfortable as the 360 controller. It is very light, and seems to be built better. I bet I don't have anymore sticking buttons.
I charged it with the USB port on my pc, took about 3 hours. I'm very happy with this purchase.
on January 5, 2013
I really love this controller. Please be advised what games are compatible and which are not. Yes Nintendo should have made the new Mario work with this controller but it does not. It does work great when it does work. The battery life is incredible, very responsive, feels great and looks slick. I love using this when on the tv and the gamepad when my wife wants the tv or I play from bed. Great! Highly recommended for those games it does work for.
VINE VOICEon February 19, 2016
It works well. I don't use it but my grandkids do and they like it fine. They are used to the old sticks though so they have to rewire their thinking a bit to use it. I think this kind of controller should be standard on the game. They are a bit pricey to buy after the initial investment in the game. And you will probably need two.
on March 25, 2015
Finally a good, non-gimmicky gamer's controller from Nintendo! The layout is pretty good, pretty close but not quite as good as an xbox controller - I prefer the staggered stick layout of the xbox offerring as well as the placement of the face buttons, but this is still plenty comfortable to use. The battery life is incredible. In fact, pretty much the best battery life I've seen on any wireless controller to date. The wii-mote + nunchuck is a really cool design and great for certain games, but sometimes you just can't beat a standard gamepad.
on April 16, 2015
Works as advertised. The white holds its condition better, has the same polished plastic look but doesn't show scratches as much as the black controllers. I really like these controllers for the wii u overall, as a traditional Xbox player.
on January 28, 2014
If you want to have more than one player, it is essential to have an additional controller. Perfect addition to the game set we bought our daughter for Xmas. Now she enjoys Disney Infinity with her brother or nest friend.