Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Wii forum

Wii overheating?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2007 4:48:39 AM PDT
K. Stamato says:
My son received a wii for Christmas and it is continually overheating. I think I have heard that this is a problem with the system. Anyone have suggestions? He and his cousin played it yesterday and it overheated at least four times over the course of the day. We have it in a white holder (made by nintendo) on a wooden bookshelf next to the tv. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 5:13:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2007 5:13:34 AM PDT
I have the white holder as well and it is made by MAD Catz, not Nintendo.

I bought mine on launch day and mine will overheat sometimes when it is in standby mode and will completely shut off and I'll have to unplug and plug the power cord back in.

I've never had that happen while I was playing though and I've played for hours and hours on end at some points.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 6:59:07 AM PDT
gnome bard says:
they make a fan that plugs in to the Wii's USB port that will help the over heating. most of the time it come from using it non stop.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 8:14:05 AM PDT
R. Testa says:
Does "on a wooden bookshelf next to the TV" mean that the TV is on one side and there's something else (the side of the shelf unit, a wall, whatever) on the other side?

It needs some space. If the only air it can get is already hot from the TV it can't cool off. All A/V components need open space around them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 8:59:43 AM PDT
carnage says:
that will really mess up your wii... dont listen to this guy...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 9:02:22 AM PDT
carnage says:
i have my wii on top of my subwoofer in the corner... i have never had it overheat at any time... just make sure it has room to breath... try puting it out in the open without the stand for a week and see what happens...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 11:11:00 AM PDT
K. Stamato says:
Thanks for the advice - I'll move it and see if that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 1:10:06 PM PDT
A. Ramirez says:
The first nintendo wii's are coming with a problem.
I heard that in EBgames theres a list of 30 ppl average changing their wii's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2007 4:32:24 AM PDT
i usually play for 3 hours at a time, and no heating problems as of YET, but who knows if one plays for 10 hours :( who knows, but thank God my hasn't overheated..... but when I do play 10 Hours on a game i can't put down, i just hope the Wii withstand

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2007 4:47:04 AM PDT
K. Stamato says:
That's what I was afraid of. I'm going to check into it today and I'll post what I learn. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2007 1:10:08 PM PDT
Crimsy says:
Some Wiis are known to overheat. This is not an uncommon problem. However, the Wii will only overheat when it's in StandBy mode; it does not overheat when it is turned on.

The easy solution is this: When you're done playing, hold the power button on the console for a few seconds (usually 4 seconds) until it turns red, thus turning the console off. You can, of course, disable StandBy mode altogether from the Wii settings, but the drawback to this solution is that you'll have to manually connect your Wii to the internet through the Wii settings every time you turn the console on.

Again, this isn't a big deal. It becomes a big deal if you don't implement the above solution or find another way to fix it because the console can become scorching hot if it has this problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2007 6:40:49 PM PDT
gameguy says:
I've found that my Wii stays cooler when it's on. I accidentally left it on while I went to my baseball game, and when I got back, I felt it and it was perfectly fine. I haven't had any problems SO FAR with my Wii, and hope that I never will... but I know sometime I will have some trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2007 2:22:27 PM PDT
Albany, NY says:
I noticed when you play a GC game on it it freezes a lot. Try putting a fan next to the unit to cool it down during all gameplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2007 6:48:52 PM PDT
If your Wii is doing this (over heating in Stand-by), then its a problem with the system and you should contact Nintendo for service prior to your warranty expiring. Mine was doing this, and eventually it cooked the disk drive. Its currently at the service center in California.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 3:54:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2007 3:54:46 AM PDT
My Wii has been in on or Stand-by mode since the end of December and no overheating problems. The only time it has been off has been during power outages or two resets I've had to do. 7 months in continual stand-by or on without a problem. It's got to be a QC issue for those units; not a design issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 6:19:45 AM PDT
Or a competitor trying to start rumors and negative propaganda. After all they're competing against a certain unnamed monopoly and it wouldn't be the first time that they've resorted to that sort of tactic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 6:35:04 AM PDT
I don't know K. I've got a Dennon receiver, circa 1987 which still works great. The other Dennon receiver I bought 2 years ago has fried twice due to overheating. You can't have 100% quality all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 6:44:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2007 6:46:06 AM PDT
Matt Smith says:
I currently own a Wii and also have two close friends who own one.

We all use the generic upright stand and I cannot say I have had an overheating problem. Someone commented I think that there IS a cooling station that can plug into the wii's USB ports. That should help you.

The Nintendo Wii is so micro that if there is ANY fan or heat sync error at all...it would be noticeable, unfortunately.

Also, I've left my Wii on for long periods of time...many time. Still no noticeable problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 7:41:20 AM PDT
Dave says:
E.R., I too have a JVC receiver from 1983 that still works fine. Newer consumer electronics just don't seem to be as robust as older generations. Especially in regard to lower-end equipment, everyone is competing on price, not quality these days. As far as consoles like the Wii, like any other console or electronic component, you'll have a certain (small) percentage that will fail.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 10:48:18 AM PDT
K. Stamato says:
I promise, I am NOT the competition trying to start false rumours!! Just the mom of a twelve year old who is increasingly frustrated that his Wii keeps shutting off. Nintendo did call me back this week and we are shipping our Wii back for service. After speaking with some of my son's friends, it seems like the internal fan within our Wii is not running, whereas other Wii's have a fan that runs during play?? Anyway, Nintendo was great - the repair should be under warranty and hopefully, my son will have his Wii back in working condition before the end of the summer. Thanks for everyone's input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 10:51:35 AM PDT
Nintendo will have it back to you within 10 days. Their customer service and return time is top notch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 10:55:23 AM PDT
yeah my wii gets really hot when i have it in standby mode. I try to remember to just unplug it if after i'm done but often i forget. I'm afraid its not going to last long if it keeps heating up like its been doing. I have mine set flat and its in a fairly small enclosed shelf with only the front exposed. It still has a good 5 inches of clearance on top though and plenty of space around the sides.. THe same shelf is no problem for the dvd player and vcr that sit on top of each other next to my wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 4:48:12 PM PDT
Beccaree says:
how do you know it's overheating? Is it locking up or shutting off? If it's warm to the touch it's ok. Mine is always warm but I have no problems with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2007 10:42:59 AM PDT
nuriko says:
For about 2 weeks after I got a wi-fi router and hooked up my Wii, I had left it on stand-by mode. Then I realized that it was very warm to the touch, but it never shuts down or lock up. Ever since then, I have either power it off or unplug it all together. But recently, I notice some vertical lines on the screen when I'm running around in Zelda. It looks fine if I'm just standing still. Does that means I have cooked my Wii?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2007 2:04:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2007 5:50:37 PM PDT
M. Morales says:
Unfortunately, since the release of Resident Evil 4 port for the Wii, a lot of people's Wiis have been going the Xbox360 route and breaking. WiConnect24 shuts off the fan and the GPUs are overheating and breaking. There are forums with countless people currently experiencing this http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/residentevil4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-36212629&pid=938877&page=2
It took a game like Res Evil 4 to show the extent of the damage done since it requires more of the GPUs power. Once you pop in that disc, graphical glitches, freezing, lines, or blinking pixels spread to the Wii menu and every other game. Here's some footage of the problem http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdWnsw3Yckc. It's not happening to a few people, it's like happening to every single person almost who puts that game in and had the Wii running on Wiconnect24 in the past and unknowingly cooked their GPU. Nintendo has already addressed the issue and has stated it's WiiCOnnect24 frying the ATI chip, so turn off your WiiCOnnect24. The problem pops up with games that demand more from the GPU, so you may already have a fried chip and may not know it until it gets worse or you pop in a game that demands more of it's power. Nintendo is trying to work on a firmware update to correct the problem of the fan shutting off.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wii
Wii by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.5 out of 5 stars (3,210)