5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and educational
(written by my husband)
Published on March 28, 2012 by Yelena Burkut

2.0 out of 5 stars Predator Power
Bought three of the Wild Kratts videos and had so much problem getting it to play and that literally upset my grandson as he loves this show
Published 3 months ago by Sharon Stiles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and educational, March 28, 2012
(written by my husband)
I couple days ago my wife handed me a DVD box Wilds Kratts: Predator Power. I was relatively skeptical about this DVD when I got it in my hands for the first time. My wife insisted that I would love it, but there are so many programs of this nature out there - I felt under impression that it could be something aiming at my younger kid's age rather (he is 2), and the DVD case does say PBS Kids. However, I was pleasantly surprised and intrigued by this series: two real life guys and their cartoon avatars explore wildlife.

The cartoon guys have some super cool suites that can turn into one animal or another to let them interact with the animals in the segment. Each segment dedicates to one animal kind - shows its life style, social construction, hunting/defending methods, families, etc in the cartoon world while the real guys show the real animals and their habitat. A combination of cartoon and a documentary makes it look very cool and widens target audience. We had both of our kids, 2 year old and 4 year old sitting and watching it (that is quite unusual). And you know it is good, if you child wants to see it again as soon as it's over.
Very informative, funny, entertaining, and overall well put together piece. Along the lines this DVD also brings up some environmental issues in regards to the species they use in segments. I love the fact that it's all done in manner kids can understand and draw some conclusions or at least start asking questions about it. After about 5-10 minutes into the episode I realized that it was hooked to the screen myself. It was interesting even for me and I'm 38 ... but my wife says I'm a born nature explorer. Lol. In any case, I would definitely recommend to have it in any kids (including the grownup kind too) movie collection at home or in the car (Hmm, why do I always have to drive?)

It also includes printable PDF list with some at home activities as well as great natural exploring games.
Paramount Wild Kratts-predator Power [dvd]

5.0 out of 5 stars We love the Kratts, May 20, 2012
Dallas Mom (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
We were so excited to see more Wild Kratts on DVD! FYI, this disc contains 4 episodes:

Stuck on Sharks
A Mimic in the Grass (cheetahs are the primary subject)
Little Howler (wolves)
Raptor Roundup

Although I was sad it was only four episodes, we love them all. This show is so educational and fun. My son (age three) is always spouting random animal facts and I love that he is also learning respect for animals in the process. He has probably requested the Raptor episode 25 times. I mean what three year old can talk about talons with such fervor? He walks up to strangers and says "did you know snakes can see in the dark?" I love it.

Seriously...this a great program, the best PBS has to offer. If you have not already discovered it, I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than their previous best, August 3, 2014
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
Short version: If I was going to build the perfect science/nature edutainment show, I'd build a Kratt show. If I was going to build the perfect Kratt show, I'd build a "Wild Kratts" (henceforth WK) because it's just the right blend of education & entertainment. There are few good science/nature shows on TV, making WK all the more important.*

Long version: Read on.

As you may have noticed, I usually review non-fiction books. That's because non-fiction books are more structured than other forms of edutainment (& thus, easier for me to review). However, I feel so strongly about WK that I had to make an exception. In this review, I list the 4 main reasons why I think WK is currently the best science/nature edutainment show while using the "Raptor Roundup" episode (I.e. My favorite episode) as an example.

1) In WK, all the characters are a ton of fun: For 1, the WK crew reminds me of Mystery Incorporated, but better defined/developed; Chris & Martin (henceforth the Kratts) are, like Fred, the leaders, but also "real-life zoologists" (Google "The Kratt Brothers Get Animated"); Aviva is, like Daphne, the hot girl, but also a brilliant inventor; Koki is, like Velma, the researcher, but also a sassy black woman; Jimmy is, like Shaggy, the lovable coward, but also a "master gamer" (Google "The Kratt Brothers Get Animated"); All that's missing is the animal mascot (unless you count the Tortuga HQ); For another, the WK villains remind me of Disney villains, but with unique twists; Chef Gourmand is basically Chef Louis from "The Little Mermaid" with a Southern accent instead of a French 1; Also, Gourmand specializes in cooking with endangered animals; Donita Donata is basically Cruella De Vil from "101 Dalmatians" with 1 bumbling henchman (Dabio) instead of 2; Also, Donita freezes animals in suspended animation to use for jewelry/clothes; & don't tell me Zach Varmitech's incredibly shrill voice doesn't remind you of Iago from "Aladdin".

2) Growing up, my favorite stories were animated animal adventures (E.g. Walt Disney Animated Classics) & real-life animal adventures (E.g. Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures). WK combines the best of both worlds with animated versions of real-life animal adventures. Better still, said adventures are based around key scientific concepts (E.g. In "Raptor Roundup", the Kratts challenge themselves to ID as many raptors as they can; We learn about classification).

3) There are 3 main reasons for WK's good humor: 1) Funny characters who can be summed up by Dr. Cox's rant in the "My Fishbowl" episode of "Scrubs"; Aviva, like Carla, is "very funny...WHEN [she's] being sarcastic or [she's] up on [her] high horse"; Zach, like Elliot, "is funniest when [he's] an anal retentive train wreck" (The same goes for Donita); Koki, like Turk, "sells it with a cocky attitude"; Gourmand, like Janitor, "is amusing because quite frankly he's insane"; The Zachbots "can turn a phrase"; Dabio has a funny name (Fabio with a D); Jimmy, like Ted, "is the hospital sad sack"; The Kratts, like Dr. Cox, are "funny because [they] commit"; 2) Clever dialogue; Martin's animal names (E.g. "Stomp" the secretary bird) & Gourmand's dish names (E.g. "Raptor amandine. Vulture bouillabaisse. Eagle Gorgonzola. Ooh, owl étouffée. And falcon fritters") are especially good examples of WK's witty wordplay; 3) Classic physical comedy; The battles between the Kratts & Gourmand, like those between Sebastian & Louis, recall "the dark slapstick of classic era Warner Bros. cartoons" (Google "Quick Reviews: The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition").

4) To quote Sampson (Google "The Real Crisis in Evolution Teaching"), "The web of life is composed of two distinctly different kinds of threads<those that link organisms at any given moment in time through the flow of energy (ecology), and those that link all lifeforms through deep time via genetic information and shared common ancestry (evolution). Seen from this dual and complementary perspective, the two themes are inseparable. Without evolution, our vision is severely limited to the present day and we cannot begin to fathom the blossoming of life's diversity from single-celled forebears. Without ecology, the intricate interconnections we share with the current panoply of lifeforms cannot truly be envisioned. United in a single theme, evolution and ecology provide a powerful lens through which to view life's web, forming the foundation of an integrated and underutilized perspective on nature. In short, we need dramatic increases in levels of both ecological literacy, or "ecoliteracy," and evolutionary literacy, or "evoliteracy," with this dynamic pair of concepts reinforcing each other." That's exactly what WK does. "Raptor Roundup" is an especially good example of evoliteracy (E.g. "Got to love raptors...Fantastic flyers with powerful talon feet. Direct descendants of dinosaurs...Who still fly the skies today. Raptors are one of the most awesome creature families on the planet. They're not meant to be fried or fricasseed. They belong living free and in the wild") & ecoliteracy (E.g. "And the great thing about raptors is no matter where you live. Or what the weather's like. Raptors are flying all around. So get to know the raptors that live around you. Keep on creature venturing. And keep on identifying...Raptors!...See you on the creature trail") reinforcing each other.

*As far as I know, the BBC & PBS are the only channels that still make consistently good science/nature shows (E.g. "Life" & "Wild Kratts", respectively). I used to love watching the Discovery Channel & Animal Planet, but now they're full of garbage like "Yukon Men" (Google "Bloodthirsty 'factual' TV shows demonise wildlife") & "Mermaids" (Google "Mermaids Return From the Depths of TV's Chum Bucket"), respectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love these shows!, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
I'm so glad that they made another DVD of more Wild Kratt shows! I was a little disappointed that there weren't as many episodes as the other DVD set though. They're almost the same price and I think the other set is a better value! I'm just waiting for another set that has more of the newer shows...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Kratt Brothers, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
I hope that the animated version is as good as the original series! My son loves the Kratt Brothers. They are interesting and educational!

5.0 out of 5 stars Predator power, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
My son is fan of the show. He was so excited to watch it. Shared a couple of episodes with his friends, and now they are fans too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and educational!!!, July 29, 2014
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
Bought it for my six year old and he really likes it. I have to admit that I have also watched it and must say that I have learned things about the animal kingdom that I did not know before. This is an excellent series and wish that the DVD had at least one more episode or a companion piece to PBS Kids on it, besides previews.

My son's favourite episode is the Stuck on Sharks one. The others are pretty good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter Loves It, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
This is a great series for our child she has learned a great deal from the entire set of videos they produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent movie, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
Great product, my 5 year old just loves the Kratt brothers.
She doesn't even realize how much she is learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Kratts, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Wild Kratts: Predator Power (DVD)
My kids love the Kratt brothers and they have watched this dvd over and over. A great purchase for any Kratt fans!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Wild Kratts: Predator Power
Wild Kratts: Predator Power by . (DVD - 2012)
$9.99 $8.32