When ordering these, I tried to read the box pic and description looking for how many and what size sardines are within. I didn't find a clear statement, so I ordered anyway since the local prices for Crown Prince brislings have skyrocketed.

Published 20 months ago by Ted K

3.0 out of 5 stars Eat a Sandwich; Save the Planet
Read the packaging for these sardines and you can't help but feel you're saving Mother Earth as you chomp on your sandwich. But digging down beneath the surface, there's not so much to be excited about. Unless of course BPA free packaging is your primary purchase criterion. If so, buy em now and don't read any further.

If not there are some issues to be aware...
Published 21 months ago by Andrew Schonbek

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, just not a brisling double layer Crown Prince replacement, November 11, 2012
This review is from: Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Lemon, 4.375-Ounce Tins (Pack of 6) (Grocery)

Why all the concern over size? I usually dislike the commercial packaged large sardines as they seem to have off flavors, bones more solid than not, fins and slimy sections of skin. Those large sardines packed in the strong flavor sauces seem to be the ones that need the sauces to mask their less palatable features, I dislike even more.

Inside my first can of these sardines were three quite large well cleaned sardines. Not as oily looking, smoky smelling or saliva inducing as my preferred brislings.

Waste not, want not; I rather grimly dug in and I was pleasantly surprised. The fish were cleaned well, bones were virtually nonexistant, flavor was light, almost fresh. Fresh dried sardines are still better at this size, but these were darn good. Instead of putting a sardine on a cracker I would put a chunk of sardine meat on the cracker instead. Quite good.

I'd prefer a little more smoke flavor. But until I find a good source for naturally smoked double layer brislings these will certainly do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty product, September 26, 2011
I got this for my wife the other day. There is a large variety of "tastes" available and the on-line price is very reasonable as compared to purchasing it at "Whole Foods" or some other natural food store. The sardines are not "fishy" tasting and they are fresh. Other pluses to this product is the fact that they are sustainably caught. My wife particularly likes that they offer the Olive oil and Lemon option. I would recommend this product anytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Planet Sardines, September 16, 2012
Jackie Richardson (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I decided to give sardines a chance after reading about how high they were in omegas, protein and calcium. My mother has been eating them for years as has one of my co-workers who swears by them for her health- she is a straight up fitness guru. Initially I was a bit apprehensive that sardines might be too fishy, smelly and salty. However, to my surprise they were fresh tasting (really surprised by the reviews that said they were metallic and fishy) and not really fishy at all -no more than eating smoked salmon. What I liked was that they are very lightly smoked, packed in extra virgin olive oil with a little sea salt, are in a certified BPA free can had all recognizable and minimal extra ingredients and were sustainably caught. They tasted nothing like I expected and I will definitely buy this brand again. It is really hard finding sardines or many other foods in a BPA free can and this company is really thinking about the health of it's consumers. I will stock up on these when at the store next.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fishy taste, February 29, 2012
Besides being meaty and filling, these sardines do not have a strong fishy odor like other brands. I also find that I do not suffer from post-sardine GERD with this brand. The hint of lemon is also a very nice touch. The best part about them is their taste, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, February 12, 2012
I Love these BPA free sardines in lemon and olive oil ... smokey, fresh and price wise, I couldn't go to the market and do any better if they were available in my area!

4.0 out of 5 stars First time trying sardines, August 22, 2012
V. Evans "torybug" (Baltimore, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I had never had sardines before, and these are the only ones I've tried so I can't make comparisons. I am pleased with how tasty they are, and my 11 month old son likes them too! They are pretty "fishy" if you don't like fish, but I like fish and find these pretty mild. I like having the skin and bones, there's lots of nutrition in there and it turns out I like the crunch. They do look revolting though. I knew sardines were tiny fish in a can, and was relieved to see that they do remove the heads and guts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Sardines review, January 10, 2012
katyliz2 (Saginaw, MI USA) - See all my reviews
These sardines are meaty and filling, and there is no fishy taste. The additional of the olive oil and lemon makes a lot of difference. They are delicious with crusty bread, or in a salad. Sardines are listed in many reports as being extremely nutritious for the Omega 3s, plus they are an excellent protein source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, July 19, 2012
I really love these. After trying many different brands I decided that this is my favorite. They are soft and fresh-tasting, and also come with lots of liquid. They are also from domestically caught fish, and even though canned in Asia, the cans are BPA-free which is not common in the industry. The lemon juice helps a great deal with keeping your breath fresh (usually an issue with sardines) and the lemon slice found in each can is an added and very enjoyable bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, April 15, 2012
Terry Smith (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
I eat these strictly for health purposes -- I don't like fish in general. Fortunately, the fishy taste is very minimal. I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, January 18, 2013
Just the product: Delicious plump little flavor nutrition bombs! I've eaten a lot of canned fishes, and these are without a doubt some of the best. I like the lighter taste of these as I'm not that fond of oil drenched canned fish (except anchovies drenched in oil are awesome).

Other considerations: Pacific caught. BPA free cans. Something this delicious is actually good for you!

Love it with your tastebuds. Be at peace with you conscience. What's not to love?

Updated 8/28/2013: No longer worth it as price has been increased by 50%.

Rate and Discover Movies