Wild Wolf (Shifters Unbound)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$7.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 1, 2014
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

Graham McNeil lost his mate and son a long time ago and has become a gruff, intimidating pack leader. He's closed himself off from the thought of loving another mate that is until Misty wraps her all too human hands around his heart.

Misty is a sweet human who has fallen for a shifter with a lot of baggage and who his people expect to mate with one of his own kind. She is a florist which for some reason makes her seem all that more innocent to me.

Jennifer Ashley has done it again with a great story and characters that you really want to love. I've been a fan of this series since the beginning and when Graham first came into the picture I was hoping he would find someone to love. He's emotionally scarred with a gruff exterior but you can tell he's a very noble man and underneath that intimidating persona he puts out there to keep people from getting too close, is a very lovable man who needs a mate to complete him.

Graham doesn't really know where he fits in since coming to live in this shifter community where Eric is the leader. He was the leader in his own community but they all had to move to a new shifter town and he's no longer the big boss although his pack members who followed him there do still see him as the boss and their leader.

Graham has been dating Misty but has kept his distance emotionally, that is until he gets a troubling call from her and she is kidnapped. He is a beside himself with worry for her and we know he's going to save her but there are some Fae problems along the way. Fae magic and shifters don't go well together at all and this throws a few twists into this story that I really liked.

The sexual tension is massive for the first half of this book because although our sweet little human wants to have her way with Graham, he has put the brakes on so he doesn't go too far with her. But he can only hold out for so long before the sexual attraction between them pushes him past his breaking point and he has to have her.

While there are secondary character storylines going on in this story, they don't take anything away from Graham and Misty's story at all. In fact I love that about this series because we get to meet so many characters in shifter town and get to know them and hope that some time down the line they get their own book. Some of the best secondary characters in this book are the two cubs that Graham ends up looking after. Not only are they young kids but shifter kids, hence the being called 'cubs'. They get into trouble, eat, make a mess, get into more trouble, eat some more and just seem adorable.

If you're a fan of this series you'll love this book. If you're new to the series I suggest starting with the first book and reading your way through the series in order to really understand all of the characters but you can still read this as a stand alone book and enjoy it.

[...]
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I don’t typically dive into a series at the sixth installment, but when Jennifer Ashley’s WILD WOLF landed on my doorstep I couldn’t resist the call of her werewolves. Fortunately for me, this book stands well enough on its own and the writing drew me in to the point of needing to go back, and start the SHIFTERS UNBOUND journey from the beginning. The mythology is well thought out, and is paired with red-hot love scenes and extremely likable characters. Ashley just went from being a new-to-me-author to a must read!

The world-building and lore are the two main elements that caught my interest early on, and are also the primary reasons why I plan on picking-up book 1. I’m sure that there’s way more to the SU universe than what I was able to gleam from only one installment, but the tidbits I did learn made me fall head-over-heels in love with this series. Ashley’s werewolves have been exiled to reservation-type living conditions called Shiftertowns, are forced to wear anti-aggression collars, and are just overall unwelcome among humans. There’s also a variety of different shifter breeds and even subgroups of wolves which made learning about them all a lot of fun.

I was surprised by the author’s approach to the romantic aspect of this story; Graham and Misty have been dating for 8 months, but have yet to have sex, which is practically unheard of in novels that feature mate bonds. And, the two main characters don’t actually get-it-on until quite a ways into the book, but in the interim there’s no shortage of “substitute” options, and these turn-out to be equally as satisfying. I liked that even though she’s human, Misty is far from weak; in fact, she saves McNeil’s alpha-ass not once, but twice! They make a great couple and I thoroughly enjoyed reading their story.

The secondary characters were phenomenal as well; some of the mated pairs have obviously been featured in previous installments, and after meeting them in WILD WOLF, I’m anxious to read their tales. There’s a nice mix of supernaturals in the SU world, and I enjoyed learning about Ashley’s Fae and gnomes (yes GNOMES!). I loved Matt & Kyle—the adorable werewolf cubs—and Reid, Ben, Dougal and Eric were awesome personalities too. It’s clear that this series has a lot of offer; my only regret is not having discovered it sooner!

WILD WOLF is a fantastic book whether you’re a long-time Jennifer Ashley fan or a newcomer like me. Great humour, sexy shifters and outstanding writing—everything a reader needs for hours of enjoyment.
on April 1, 2014
Ashley is one of my favorites when it comes to sexy and intriguing paranormal romances. And Graham and Misty's story totally rocked my Shifter loving world. From the action and danger surrounding the Shifter community to the incredible bite-your-lip romance I was ALL in as these two fought to save the people they love most.

The quick of it is that wolf Shifter Graham is in a spot. He's gotten himself spelled by a Fae and that's a bitch of a place to be seeing they can find you anywhere and pretty much make you do whatever they want. But in being spelled a deeper plot against the Shifters and their survival is revealed that threatens everything the Shifters hold dear. It was...pretty damn exciting to say the least. *nods*

Graham's a total alpha wolf. He's a badass, growly and grumbly and is just so damn...lickable. Yes. I said...lick-a-ble. I just loved this guy. How he'd get exasperated when any of his people put themselves in danger, how he was with the wolf cubs in his care and with his nephew--comforting them but teaching them to be tough too. How he was gentle with and cherished Misty even if he couldn't admit his full emotions towards her lordy when he finally threw down and stopped being gentle with her. Holy yummy wolf shifter. I mean. He could just make a girl orgasm with a look. Whew!

And Misty was so the heroine for Graham. She's one chickie that does not give up and refuses to back down from those trying to intimidate her. Including Graham. He so needed that. Someone who wasn't afraid of his grumbly ass and loved him for just who he was. She's a natural nurturer and was so sweet with the wolf cubs. I absolutely adored her and yall know I have a hard time with heroines so really saying something.

Alright so one of the little side things is a set of twin wolf cubs that have been orphaned and are...terrors and now in the care of Graham. I so have a weakness for cubs. And these two boys were freaking darling even if they were wild and would give a girl some added gray hairs. I really hope one day down the line they'll get a book when they're all grown up. They're gonna be something else! They're also part of the reason I fell so hard for both Graham and Misty. They had me near tears a couple of times over these little wolf cubs and how they were with them. Huge thing in the plot? Not really (though they do play a nice role in things) but it's one of those added bits to the story that makes me love Ashley's writing so much. Action, danger, lust and excitement sure. But romance and family and the bonds between everyone are just as important and wonderfully portrayed.

All in all, Wild Wolf...was just an incredible Shifter romance. The action was exciting and kept me reading as the Fae mess with the Shifters and most specifically Graham. There were a couple ahhh omg! moments as scenes went down that had my palms sweating just a bit and my heart racing. Add in a touch of magic with spells, some new mythological beings and a heroine hell bent and determined to save what's hers and it was just an excellent ride that was sensual, funny and down right entertaining!
on June 1, 2014
After reading two disappointing books from two of other my favorite authors I was really looking for Jennifer Ashley to deliver—and she did!

Graham is without question my favorite Alpha in the series. He’s that perfect combination of confident, arrogant, abrasive and noble. I love that Jennifer Ashely—more than once—mentions that he’s not ‘obviously’ handsome and is scarred but that he’s still sexy as hell, and he is! My very favorite thing though was that Graham stayed Graham throughout the whole book. A lot of time authors have characters make these BIG personality changes once they couple up, and that did NOT happen here (I can’t even put into words how thrilled I was about that! Seriously). Graham is a rough, uncouth and aggressive guy that yells more than he talks—from beginning to end—even as circumstances change and starts admitting that he has deeper feelings for Misty, even when things are great, he is who he is, unapologetically. Also, Graham’s struggles with his nephew Dougal and the twins (while simultaneously bearing sole responsibility for the whole pack) will resonate with every parent—because honestly, it’s nice to read about characters that have responsibilities most people relate to; a lot of characters we read about are single, selfish and can afford to throw tantrums here and there, NOT SO when you’re the boss, a parent, or otherwise charged with the welfare & well-being of someone else!! So that was another huge plus.

Every heroine has that will-I-won’t-I battle that usually (exasperatingly) lasts a LOT longer than it needs to, and while Misty does have that battle it is very short-lived (thankfully). Once she realizes Graham is the one in serious trouble she is in it until the end, despite Graham’s best efforts to force her out of it. Her naivete causes problems (as it would anyone thrown into a culture they’ve had limited exposure to), anchoring this paranormal story in a reality everyone can grasp. Another bonus was how she was portrayed sexually: she wasn’t a virgin, she wasn’t shy, she OWNED her sexuality and her desires, which was not only AWESOME and really refreshing, but something I’d like to see start trending in Romance writing as a whole. Lastly, I really liked that dynamics changed in multiple relationships and that every character in it grew, not just the two main characters.

So even if you’ve never read the Shifters Unbound series, Wild Wolf is a must-read. Honestly. I have not been this happy or satisfied with a book in quite a while.
Thank you Jennifer Ashley!
on April 22, 2014
Jennifer Ashley continues her Shifter Unbound series with book six, Wild Wolf. The world building in this series is excellent and fans of paranormal romance will love learning about how all of the super natural creatures interact. Ashley blends the paranormal with a strong romance between a human and a shifter, that defies the rules of the pack. The hero has almost forgotten how to love until he meets a woman who is willing to fight for what she loves. Two twin wolf cubs add humor and family bonds to the mix and Ashley will thrill readers with lots of action and sizzling romance.

What I liked:

Diving into book six of a series is not often a fun thing to do. Readers often feel left out, especially if there is an overall series arc. But Jennifer Ashley has a knack for making her books stand alone, while still being linked by characters and situations. I didn't feel at all left out of the loop as sometimes happens when I start in the middle. There was enough background for me to pick up on the essentials, though I do want to go back and read the others.

The whole concept of Shiftertowns and the way they were set up was really interesting to me. They reminded me of Native American reservations which is somewhat distasteful to me. I liked the idea that the inhabitants stuck together and worked to create their own identities as a community. The world building was probably my favorite part of this one. There were several different types of shifters and different breeds. There were other paranormal beings including one of my favorites, the Fae. It was fun to read Ashley's ideas on the mythology involved and readers who get into the dynamics of packs and that sort of thing will love this one.

I liked the fact that Ashley chose to make the heroine a human. Misty wasn't your average girl though. She had some grit and edge to her that made her the perfect mate for Graham, who could be a little surly and hard to get along with. She loved him for all of his bad parts, as well as, the good and she stood by him and fought for those she cared about. I love a strong female lead and Misty certainly fit the bill. She also had a gentle side that came out when she dealt with the wolf cubs that showed a real vulnerability in her. A great heroine.

Graham was so alpha. He was used to being charge of his own fate and coming to a shiftertown where he was not the top dog was difficult for him, but not as much as losing his first mate was. He has basically walled off his heart and he hides behind a facade of gruffness and downright ornery behavior to keep his pack and Misty at a distance. But walls show some cracks when it comes to taking care of the wolf twins and when Misty is kidnapped. He deserved a strong female counterpart and Ashley gave him one. Together these two were unstoppable.

There was tons of action in this book including a plot by the fae that threatened all shifters and their towns. There was some serious love scenes that may require a cold drink and a fan to get through and there was a lot of familial bonds and friendships that Ashley explored along the way. There was more than one couple in this book, which provides other areas of interest and kept the book interesting. I definitely want to read more.

What I didn't like:

Not too much to say here. I loved the world building, adored the characters, was totally surprised at some of the plot twists, intrigued by the fae machinations and completely taken in by the cubs. Nope nothing to report that I didn't like.

Bottom Line:

I'm not quite sure how I missed this series. But I'm glad to have found it. Readers who love a good strong pairing in the hero and heroine will really enjoy this one. Those that have think shifters should stay with shifters (paranormal racism if you will) might not be as enthusiastic. I loved it!
on April 1, 2014
WILD WOLF is the sixth novel in the Shifters Unbound series. It is the story of wolf shifter Graham McNeil and his human girlfriend Misty Granger. The two were introduced in MATE CLAIMED and have been together for eight months at the start of this book. The relationship, however, has been kept casual by Graham who, while he is attracted to Misty, knows that he cannot mate claim her. He needs a lupine mate to help strengthen his pack and his leadership position. Of course, he cannot help but want Misty even though she is completely wrong for him.

This book is definitely about Graham. It is he who has to make all the movement in this relationship. He is gruff and quite honestly a jerk to a lot of people, but he is also caring and protective of those he considers his. Ashley does a great job of making Graham a hero while not sacrificing his character as we have seen him before. We just get to see a more complete picture of Graham.

Misty is a good match for Graham. She doesn't take his being a jerk. She challenges him and he likes it. This is an action packed book and both Graham and Misty take part. Misty is not merely the damsel in distress. This book is also seriously hot for those who care about that aspect.

The relationship between Graham and Misty has been playing out in the last several books and I would recommend reading at least MATE CLAIMED before reading this book just so one gets to know Graham better. We also get to see many of our past heroes and heroines and it was nice to have an update but it might be somewhat disorienting for those new to the series. Reading MATE CLAIMED first will take care of much of the introductions.

This book also advances the continuing saga of the Shifters, Fae and humans. There is a serious development here that I won't spoil but that clearly will be a focus in upcoming books.

I loved this book. I liked the early books in the series, but the more recent ones have been fantastic. I didn't like this one as much as TIGER MAGIC, because I just liked Tiger more as a hero, but this book is close. I'd rate it a 4.5.
on April 20, 2014
I am a big fan of this series but wild wolf left me really disappointed. This is why:

1- weak plot .
2-The main female character was weak, irritating and predictable... and still she manage to save her strong alpha twice.

I have to say that I liked the novella Feral Heat better (same series- come out March 18, 2014) so i was expecting more from this book.
on April 2, 2014
Graham McNeil is tough on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside at least when it comes to Misty. Misty is soft and sweet on the outside but strong as steel on the inside. This is a match made in heaven. Now if they can only get over the concerns of his pack regarding her humanity and oh yeah survive an attack by the fae who want to own Graham and through him his pack and they aren’t afraid to use Misty to make that happen. Graham is a true alpha. He is tough but fair and understands that it is his job to protect and care for his charges even if it means knocking heads. Misty is right for him and those that don’t agree can go suck it. This is another terrific addition to the Shifters Unbound series. It can be read stand-alone but would be better if you have read the others.
on April 8, 2014
Only Graham is tough enough to stand the confrontation with the Fae
Only Misty loves him as he yells and bullies his way through life.
The author introduces a new sub-species of werewolf into the story.
I did not like this book as much as the others.
This story does not have the development that many of the other stories had.
on August 5, 2014
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Extremely sexy story filled with action and great characters. I wouldn’t say it was the most memorable story but it was certainly enjoyable!

Opening Sentence: Graham McNeil slammed his massive fist into the jaw of the attacking wolf just as his cell phone rang.

The Review:

Graham McNeil is the leader of his pack and recently they had to relocate to a new Shiftertown. His wolves haven’t taken the adjustment as well as he would have hoped and Graham will do anything to help stabilize things, even take a new mate. He has only mated once and things ended tragically, so Graham has treaded carefully when it comes to giving away his heart. For the last eight months he has been dating a human girl named Misty, which is fine for now but his pack expects him to mate with one of their own. But when Misty is kidnapped by a group looking for revenge, Graham will stop at nothing to save her. Soon he is pitted against an extremely dangerous enemy that could destroy not only him, but all of his kind.

Misty was a great heroine that I had fun getting to know. She was witty, smart and resourceful. I love it when a girl can hold her own against the villains and doesn’t have to rely on the male character to always save her. Misty doesn’t need a man to take care of her but she doesn’t refuse help if it’s offered either, which I really liked. I also liked that she wasn’t afraid of a challenge, she faced her problems head on and running away was never an option. She was a strong female character that was really easy to like and connect with.

Graham was a very sexy man that could be extremely frustrating, but somehow that just made him sexier. Being the leader of his pack is really stressful and you can tell that he was created for the job. He knows how to take charge and he’s not afraid of a fight. But he is also compassionate and cares about his pack. He is pretty hot-headed at times and loses his temper quite often, but he also knows when he needs to apologize, which is a really important trait a good leader needs. He was a great love interest that was easy to drool over!

I loved watching the relationship between Misty and Graham develop. They had red hot chemistry and lots of delicious sexual tension running between them. But they also really balanced each other out. Misty wouldn’t take Graham’s crap and she wasn’t afraid to stand up to him. But she also loved him for who he was and didn’t want him to change. I thought that they were adorable together and it was fun to read their story.

Wild Wolf was a very steamy paranormal romance that I flew right through. I don’t usually read adult books because I am more of a YA/NA fan, but when I got asked to read and review this I thought I would give it a try. I’m glad I did, it was a fun read that kept me entertained for a few hours. I’m not going to lie, this wasn’t a very memorable story and I’ll probably never read it again but I still enjoyed it. I loved that the characters were more mature and acted like adults. It was refreshing to be inside an older characters head for once. This is the sixth book in this series and I have not read the rest of the previous books, but this stood alone just fine. There were a few of the characters mannerisms and some of the things they talked about that did confuse me at times, but overall, I felt that this was just fine as a standalone. Overall, I think this was a fun read and I would recommend it to anyone that likes a fast paced, sexy paranormal romance story.

Notable Scene:

She lifted the spoon to her mouth. Graham’s gaze fixed on her even tighter. Misty moved her tongue out and licked up a dollop from her spoon.

A growl sounded in Graham’s throat, one so soft Misty knew only she could hear it. She took another lick of cream from the spoon. Graham sat so still he might have been carved into the chair, but his chest rose and fell sharply.

His face held the hardness of a man who’d survived on his strength alone for a long time, but Misty had always seen something in him besides the hardness. The tiny lines that feathered from the corners of his eyes, for example. He got them from laughing—Graham was a man not afraid to laugh. He could roar with it. Scars crisscrossed his cheekbones, and his nose had been broken, several times, he’d told her. His face was sunburned from their adventure today, but even that was healing, his skin settling into its usual liquid tan.

The sun-bronzing made his eyes stand out even more, the gray turning to silver as he watched her lick another bit of ice cream. She moved her tongue around the mound on the spoon and drew it back between her lips . . .

Graham snarled. With one flick of his big hand, he sent the ice cream bowl flying across the table to shatter on the floor.

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of Wild Wolf. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.