Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wild Things
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 9, 2002
There is a lovely luminous quality to so much of this book. One of my favorite scenes is where Faith and Sydney are walking in a field. When I read it I thought of Sting's Fields of Gold. Later I learned that the author had been deliberately trying to invoke the feeling of that song without actually referring to it -- did she ever succeed!
The passion, too, is astonishingly erotic, explosively conveyed and exquisitely detailed. Give me that over the two or three sentences I'm reading in a lot of uber books these days.
Most of all, I love that both these women are smart, and it shows in all they do. They're moral and compassionate and the kind of women I really hope do exist. Sydney or someone just like her *does* need to be in government!
on August 15, 2001
Everything that Karin Kallmaker writes is good. She just gets better each time she writes a book. This story is interesting in that it presents some interesting conflicts. What if you think you're about to marry the right man and then find yourself falling for his sister? What if the sister has a bright political career that could be destroyed by the voters knowing she is a lesbian? And, just to add another complication, how do you keep from falling in love with your brother's fiance? The answers to these questions make for a very interesting story.
on April 9, 2001
Yet again, Karin Kallmaker surprised me. Half of the book is written in first person, giving us the narrative of Faith Fitzgerald's unwilling attraction to her boyfriend's sister. Faith's story is alternated with Sydney Van Allen's. Sydney is running for political office and has a promiscuous past to live down. She's not looking for a relationship, and certainly not with her brother's almost fiancee. These two women are mature and focused, and very strong. But when confronted by feelings they can't ignore they must find yet more courage to turn away from the safe and expected paths of their lives toward each other.
Faith thinks of Sydney as the Wild Thing, the temptation she can't resist, but Faith is definitely Sydney's Wild Thing as well. The love scenes are intense and tender, the story truly touching. It's a must read for anyone who is tired of the Bible being used to condemn their lives because it is uplifting, too.
VINE VOICEon September 5, 2005
Coming out is hard. Some find it more difficult than others. No matter what the circumstances, you never know how your family and friends are going to react. Faith Fitzgerald has more than her family to face, she also has to reconcile her sexuality with God and the Catholic church. On top of it all, the person who has most recently stirred her passion is Sydney Van Allen, her boyfriend's sister.

Sydney is considering running for Senate and is hoping for backing by the right supporters. As such, she has cleaned up her life as a recovering alcoholic and is a celibate lesbian. To make matters worse, she adores her brother, but falls quick and hard for Faith.

The women fight their feelings with everything they have, but cannot deny their love for one another. They disrupt many lives and dispell many aspects of faith, knowing God wants us to love one another.

This is by far one of Kallmaker's best books. As always, she does a masterful job giving the characters depth and dimension. The story is complete, and there aren't too many distractions from other characters or sub plots. This one is destined to be a classic and will be on my shelf for many years to come. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on March 11, 2015
A great story with a lot of conflicting emotions. Faith a devout catholic is in denial about her feelings for women or specifically Sydney Van Allen and goes through all kinds of mental monuviors to deny them. I was torn between putting the book down and walking away over the twists and turns the characters kept taking or wanting to reach in and shake them both! So that tell you how good a story it really is! I highly recommend it but make sure you have plenty of time because once you start you won't want to put it down!
on March 3, 2013
I picked up, In Deep Waters because I'm a big Radclyfee fan. What I discovered was that Karin Kallmaker stories were just as interesting if not more so. I grabbed the first book that I came across and can honestly say that I am now a fan. Faith Fizgerald comes from a very strick cathlolic upbringing with parents that never quite made it into the 20th centrury. Her father is a bully and a bigot and her mother merely does and agrees with whatever he says. While in college, Faith has her first lesbian experience and is both confused and terrorfied because she liked it. When she meets her boyfriend's sister, the attraction is immediate and overpowering. The Van Allen's has more money than the national debt and Sydney, a recovering alcholic is running for the senate. Family loyalty is tested to the limits when she meets the her brother's beautiful girlfriend. I was truly moved by Faith's struggles with family, religion her desires for Sydney as well as Sydney's struggles with the bottle as well as her attraction to Faith. I really loved this story and am looking forward to reading more of Karin Kallmarker. Highly recommend
on January 25, 2013
I purchased this book already being a fan of Kallmakers writing and loving all of her books so far, this one surprised me. I was expecting the story to involve more political aspects of running for senator and was surprised to learn it centered more around Catholicism. That's not to say that's a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it. My best friend growing up came from a strict catholic polish family. I would spend weekends over at their house and was amazed at the different traditions. Including going to mass on sunday and taking communion. I was a nervous wreck trying to be polite, stay on my toes and keep up to try and not offend them. Of course, I failed miserably a few times lol
I never came out and told her parents I was a lesbian but I did tell her, and while she didn't hate me, we aren't close and haven't talked in years. I do miss her friendship.
Religion is a tricky thing especially when you start bringing in love and homosexuality....

Karin Kallmaker did a Great job of doing just that. She melded them with sensitivity, compassion, honesty and with a fair amount of argumentitive debate. (I especially loved the part where Faith is in confession and refuses to repent for having feelings for sydney and the father is getting more and more angry at her telling her its an abomination and she'll go to hell, Faith was not amused, and not having any of it. it was a great moment! )
Karin gave a sample of what Faiths family life was like being catholic and how her ideals and beliefs were insilled in her by her parents and the catholic church Only. how shelterd she was, yet she still maintained her inquisitive mind and inforced her strong will. it really made me stop and think. I don't usual gravitate towards these kinds of books but I'm a better person for having read it and truly grateful for being humbled by their pages.

The story had its intense moments but it also had its beatiful, romantic moments. It's completely laugh out loud funny moments, it's gotta grab the Kleenex because you can't stop crying moments, it's oh my, it's getting hot in here! Lol moments ... This book has a little of everything and a great ending. I really enjoyed it. I think you will too.
on November 26, 1999
I liked this book but not immediately. The first time I read it I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it. Even as a lapsed Catholic, I found Kallmakier's assessment of the Church a bit unsettling. However, I had to admit that a lot of what she said was true. My one complaint is that Faith's parents were portrayed as caricatures rather than real people and that Syndey's parents could have been given halos. Does that mean rich people are more tolerant than middle class people? I have always been a big fan of Eleanor of Acquataine (I read a bigography in grade school), so I found the historical information fascinating. I liked the way the romance between Syndey and Faith developed with each having to deal with their demons. I wish Kallmaker had mentioned John XXIII. As unyielding as the church is now, it was worse before John XXIII. He began the use of the vernacular in Church services and he instituted serveral Euchmenical Councils in order to bring the Church in contact with the Protestant sects which broke away in the 16th and 17th Centuries which unfortunately led to many religious wars. It is unfortunate that later Pope's have tried to wipe out John's vision but he still remains one of my heroes. Faith is of an age where John's influence would have been most felt. As I said, I was surprised that he wasn't mentioned. BTW, I loved the character of James. I wish we could have seen more of him but he was a great friend to Faith. The end was a little too much happily ever after but it is in the end, a romance and quite a good one. The characters of Faith and Sydney were fully drawn.
on May 20, 2013
I have to say that I was surprised to find that this is my new favorite Karin Kallmaker book. I always expect to love her books but this one took me by surprise. Upon finishing the book I wanted to immediately re-read it. I loved it that much. The book is told from both main characters points of views and I found myself completely tied to both characters. There were scenes and lines that had me holding my breath. Like when she says- "For every thought of him, I think of you a hundred times," I found myself highlighting line after line with my ereader. Just a great read. KK at her best! Loved it.
on December 16, 2015
My longish review got erased somehow last night but what I had tried to say was how impressed I was with Ms Kallmaker's efforts to educate all who read this book. I had to check the publication date (1996) to appreciate just how far acceptance of same sex relationships have come in the past almost twenty years.

A must read for everyone in this (mostly) post DOMA era we live in.