Customer Discussions > Clapton forum

Will it be a Dual-Disc or be available in DVD-A or SACD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2010 9:31:34 AM PDT
The last few releases of Clapton have included either a DVD-A release or were dual-disc. I see no indication this has either. Can you tell us?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 12:38:49 PM PDT
icecube says:
no i can't

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 1:03:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2010 1:05:09 PM PDT
Albanach says:
I have been searching high and low for a Clapton disc in any of the high resolution sound formats - SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio. I recently found "Riding with the King" in DVD-A format on Amazon.com (independent seller).

Does anyone know of any other Clapton discs, which are available in one of the high resolution formats?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 5:44:31 PM PDT
B. Lockhart says:
Layla
Slowhand
461 Ocean Boulevard
There's One in Every Crowd
Live in Japan Harrison has Clapton and his band backing him on this one.

Enjoy.

Brian

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 5:30:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2010 5:41:58 AM PDT
Back Home also had a Dual Disc which included DVD-A as did the Robert Johnson Sessions. Both are incredible.

Reptile also is on DVD-A and I love it.

BUT they are disappearing and are being replaced with what is apparently the "latest new technology: vinyl."

Layla on SACD is a MUST in your library. I've tried to estimate how may times I've heard Layla since initial release and it has to be well into the thousands. I've had it in every format produced, of course the first being vinyl which I listened to via a tubes amp. I have the CD, which was the first CD I bought back in the early 80s so I can compare side by side and the SACD is far superior. Fuller, richer, deeper, more enjoyable.

One note regarding 5.1 mixes.

There are some so called purist audiophile "weenies" out there who I assume are also the ones pushing for a return to vinyl who would "never" listen to the 5.1, calling it a gimmick. Well, if THEY have a Loudness button and ever used it, THEY lose, it is for me what makes some 5.1 practical. It creates the back wall reflection you can't get because normal homes don't allow you to listen to music as loud as we should.

The .1 is the most significant for reproduction of bass drum, upright bass, piano, etc. anything with low notes.

The other 3 of the 5.1 is useful when you can't crank up the volume as loud as you'd like.

The truth is, if you listen to a Stereo mix loud enough, you don't need the 5.1, but again most of us have wives (or simply have other people present who we'd like to talk to while listening) which won't allow it.

If you listen to the volume of a piano and compare it to the audio level your wife's like your music played at, you'll see that we're forced to play our music at less than ideal levels. This validates 5.1 - so there vinyl "weenies"

I will say that in my experience, DVD-A is the best. I have a Diana Krall, CD, DVD-A, DTS and SACD and the DVD-A is by far the best, most natural.

Two of the instruments that have always seemed to lack (even on vinyl) have been piano and violin - even if your turntable is in another room where it can't pick up feedback. It is because of the harmonics, and resonance of the wood and depth of the notes. CDs resolved the issues of feedback and distortion from wow anfd flutter, but were never able to make it lifelike. That definitely changed with DVD-A. I have a Baby Grand in my home and to compare the formats, I've had my daughter mimic Diana Krall's playing before and after she plays, at the same time and you can hear the differences between the formats very clearly, and the DVD-A is definitely the closest.

I also have 'Riding with the King' on CD and DVD-A and I use the DVD-A to demonstrate to people how stunning it is. It is breathtaking. Three O'Clock is unbelievable.

But even Diana Kralls latest are not available in SACD or DVD-A any more, rather they are available in vinyl.

The return to vinly is by far one of the wackiest move in electronics ever. It would be like reintroducing beta video.

What the hell are you thinking record companies? Or is it just that you too have given in to 128K iTunes. Jabba the Hut, it is about quantity not quality and perhaps the so called audiophiles who are "weenies."

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 4:17:19 AM PDT
elton1111 says:
SACD and DVD-A are unfortunately dead formats, like Beta tapes and 8track tapes. That is a real shame. I know Elton John recorded Captain and the Kid in 5.1 in preparation for an SACD release in 2006, then they never released it. That was about the time SACDs were fading away.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Clapton forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Aug 21, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 17, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Clapton
Clapton by Eric Clapton (Audio CD - 2010)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (182)