Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 7, 2014
This book is so great. I didn't have high expectations for it, but it seriously is such a good book. The characters are so great (Tiny is so great and he creates a musical about himself titled 'Tiny Dancer' and it's so perfect). Forced all of my friends to read this one.
on March 28, 2013
I bought Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Leviathan and, I am writing an honest review.

Before opening this book I was a bit confused as to what the story was actually about, now that I'm finished I'm still kind of confused as to what the story was about because there seemed to be a few meanings to it, but either way I loved it! In the first two chapters we meet Will Grayson and will grayson, two very different guys living in two very different worlds. The book is basically about a certain time in both boys lives I guess you would say and we get to learn quite a bit about them, and see some struggles they go through.

First we meet Will Grayson and his best friend Tiny (whom is the best gay person I've ever met! That's not a spoiler don't worry.) The thing about Will, and Tiny is that they have been friends since they were little but they seem to be the kind of best friends (at times) that are drifting apart when they are older. Will is a great character even though he is one of those people who aren't very proactive he doesn't stick up for himself, and basically lets people especially his friends sort of walk all over him. Tiny is the complete opposite he's the kind of guy who doesn't care what people think of him he's always talking and always very cheerful which is one of the things that made me love him!

Then we meet will grayson and his friend Maura. These were the chapters that were depressing so it kind of balanced out the book. You went from happy cheerful chapters to the depressing I don't know what to do with myself chapters. will grayson is a very depressed person from the very beginning we find out that he himself is gay and I do think that this has to do with his being so depressed, at first I don't really think he wants people to look at him differently. Now on to his "friend" Maura, when we first meet her I didn't have an issue with her she seemed like an okay friend that was treated like crap by her best friend. I can't say too much because there will be major spoilers so all I can say is she didn't turn out the way I pictured.

One thing I didn't completely enjoy about the book was that I honestly in the end don't know what the book was about. Yes there were a few lessons learned and things like that but I still am not clear on what it was about maybe that was the point? Overall though the book gets a 5 out of 5 stars because it was still AMAZING!
on February 22, 2015
I love this book. I laughed, cried, and felt a warmth of happiness throughout reading. Many of my friends have read it as well and love it just the same. I think I can say we were all right there along side Tiny, yelling out our love for him and life in general. John Green and David Levithan are able to captivate us all into this reflection of our own personal demons, hopes, and dreams. I would recommend this for anyone looking to find hope in themselves and the world around us.
on June 8, 2015
This was definitely a book about nothing. While having two main characters with the same name was interesting, neither character stood out to me. The most interesting character was Tiny, but even he was annoying and self-centered. I gave this book 3.5 * mostly because I appreciated the underlined message of unconditional friendship and accepting oneself for who he is (flaws and all).
on September 26, 2013
Another book that is so good, I don't even know what to say. It will make you laugh. It might make you cry. It should most definitely make you exam what love is whether it is straight love, gay love, or friend love. Since none of what I typed comes even close to explaining this book, I will just share my favorite lines that made me LOL (yes, Will Grayson #2, I DID actually laugh out loud) and that last one made me LOL/really think about how we define love:

"and it's not like I'm really that gay. I [expletive] hate Madonna."
Will Grayson # 2

"I know she is dating Douchepants McWater Polo..."
Will Grayson #1

"I can show you the trophy case on the way out so you can bask in the achievements of the alumni who are now old enough to be suffering from erectile dysfunction, memory loss, and death."
Will Grayson # 2

"When did who you want to screw become the whole game? Since when is the person you want to screw the only person you get to love? ....People act like its [sex] the most important thing humans do, but come on. How can our sentient [expletive] lives revolve around something slugs can do?"
Will Grayson #1
on April 23, 2014
This is the third book I've read by John Green, and he has not disappointed. This novel was not what I expected when I first got it, but I'm so glad I kept reading. It was written unconventionally, told from two different people with the same name. I was able to relate to both characters, even though one of them was gay. I would recommend this book to anyone in a GSA, or has ever dealt with depression.
on February 14, 2013
This is the story of Will Grayson. Well, actually it's the story of Will Grayson and the other Will Grayson. Though their names might be the same, the two teenage boys couldn't be more different. One Will Grayson abides by a philosophy of apathy and silence, a mere shadow to his flamboyantly gay and very large BFF, Tiny Cooper. The other Will Grayson is a closeted gay loner who lives in a fog of angst and depression. The boys meet in a chance encounter and as their worlds collide, their lives are forever changed.

It may shock and appall you to know that I've never read a John Green book before. Oh the horror! And as a Green newbie, I couldn't be happier that Will Grayson, Will Grayson was my first. Co-written with David Levithan, Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a hilarious romp featuring love, teenage drama, Tiny Cooper and the most epically gay musical you'll ever encounter. After being completely blown away by Levithan's, Every Day, I had no doubt that this book would leave me reeling. It totally did. Written in alternating perspectives, each chapter explores the life of a Will Grayson. Eventually, we see that their lives converge in a strange twist of fate and just how this meeting irrevocably impacts each of the Will's lives for the better.

What's most outstanding about this book, the brilliant concept aside, is the collaborative success of David and John's writing. Each in a distinctive voice uses their Will to narrate in a very believable and impactful way. John's WG is caught up in finding himself amidst being overshadowed by his very charismatic friend. He is the average teen whose motivations are steeped in typical teenage problems. In short, he's so easy to connect with because we've all been there and done that. Levithan's WG, on the other hand, is more of a broken soul. He struggles with depression and his self awareness makes him antagonistic, at best. As raw as this WG is, he's also blatantly honest and as a reader, you find yourself rooting for him to overcome all the crap that permeates his life. About the only thing both WG's share (prior to their meeting) is their struggle to find and understand first love. Because as much as Will Grayson, Will Grayson is about growing up and finding yourself, at its core, it's a novel about love --- finding love, falling in love, platonic love, familial love and self love. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.

So, this book has gotten its share of accolades but it's also gotten a lot flack for the over-the-top cheesiness of the ending. Everything that happens culminates in the performance of the gayest musical of all time. No, really, I'm not exaggerating this part. It is the gayest musical of all time. Yes, it's cheesy. Yes, it's over the top but that's the point! It's supposed to be! I don't think the book's critical message could've been delivered in any other way. You'll still catch me shouting out, "I APPRECIATE YOU, TINY COOPER!" from time to time. It brought me to tears (happy ones, of course!). And Tiny Cooper. OMG, let me talk about Tiny Cooper for a second. How do I even begin to describe Tiny Cooper?

"Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the world's gayest person who is really, really large."

He is AH-MAZING. He's big, beautiful, he loves love and he's probably the best character ever written. Like EV-ER. The fact that he wants to use love, more specifically his very active love life via a musical, to make the world a better place, is just awe-inspiring.

Tiny Cooper is the force to bring both WG's together. He's the main catalyst that incites radical changes in each of their perspectives. And with the problems that these two are facing, it takes a larger-than-life personality to do so. I'm just glad they picked a very fabulous one. In our increasingly accepting society, there's still a sad shortage of strong and relatable GLBT characters so I have to applaud Levithan and Green for making Tiny Cooper and one of the WG's so amazing. This just adds fuel to the awesomeness that is this book. Will Grayson, Will Grayson overall is raw, honest and funny. It can be offensive at times, but that just lends to its charm and adds to the freshness of its edgy, yet beautiful message. For this reason, it may not be a book that everyone can enjoy but it's a book that everyone should read because you'll be thinking about it long after you've turned the last page. You can't pick which books make you happy, but you can pick happy books so save yourself the trouble and pick Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Food for Thought: Will Grayson, Will Grayson is an incredibly funny and insightful book that touches on issues to which everyone can relate, most notably love. The characters are relatable, the writing edgy and the concept fresh. And there's also Tiny Cooper! Tiny Cooper is reason enough to read this book. He's just awesome. Levithan and Green are a dream duo when it comes to creating an impactful reading experience that will stick with you long after you've put it down.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
I didn't know what this book was about at all. So when I stumbled across a different point of view, I was a bit confused and even mildly irritated. But I kept reading and I ended up really enjoying these two Wills along with the other characters (Tiny Cooper especially!) The book was fun, hilarious, and moving. The reason for one star off is because of the ending. It was cheesy and the conclusion was a letdown.
on October 26, 2015
There were parts of the book that were fun and funny and poignant. And other parts were emo and full of angst (and not in a good way). The arcs were not at all believable and most of the characters were pretty one-dimensional. Not my favorite of the author's work.
on July 27, 2015
this should be required reading in all high schools! I laughed, I cried and hated for it to end. I'm handing my I-pad over to my husband because I can't wait to share this experience with him. I know he will enjoy it as much as I did. When he's done, I'm going to download your other books! kudos all around!