Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > St. Anger forum

Will Metallica do the right thing and hang it up?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 27, 2006 8:18:46 AM PDT
Mark Baum says:
As much as I anticipate their upcoming work with uber producer Rick Rubin, just the downward decline in the quality of Alternica's work has left me doubtful. I wish that they'd just retire with at least some dignity and let their back catalog sell itself.
I don't know of how many metal acts out there simply just came and went at the right time without leaving a desperate legacy of "returning back to their roots". Yet here's Alternica still coming to grips with its numerous missteps since the 90s.
Anyhow, I'd probably borrow their new album first or download some sample tracks. If I like what I hear then I'll probably buy it used (I'll never buy it new since my recent mistake in buying St. Anger). Above else, Metallica died a long time ago. In its place sits a rotting corpse known as Alternica which doesn't realize that it itself needs to lie down and take a nice long dirt nap.
I'll give Hetfield this: He spoke the truth when he said that he is the king of denial. Based on that truth, his condemned kingdom of Alternica needs to be demolished.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2006 1:32:33 PM PDT
My friend,I too was a loyal fan who felt the sublime letdown. Heres a few slabs that will make you feel better: the new Slayer, anything by Megadeth,the haunted, Kreator,or even Flotsam and Jetsam. Metallica's dead. Even Rick Rubin cant revive that bloated beast. Oh,get the new Iron Maiden,or the new Priest, very good...getting my point?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2006 8:53:47 AM PDT
Mark Baum says:
Oh yes. I do have slabs of Slayer, pounds of Pantera, grungy GN'R and some meaty Megadeth within my album collection. Recently I've been rediscovering them, among others. I've even found myself recently discovering Mentors! Ahh...El Duce (check out "Up The Dose", "To The Max" and "Over The Top")!

I'll have to raid my old computer and obtain the CD database from it and post it online. My metal diet is quite healthy, so to speak. So I'm definitely oldskool here.

Now, if we can just pry the Metallicult barnacles off the hulking leviathan of metal itself and lose them in its undertow then maybe these cultists can learn something. They certainly claim to be more open-minded than me. ;->

Besides, mainstream "metal" sucks! Godness bless the memories of El Duce and Dimebag Darrell who, among others, kept it real.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2006 6:23:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2006 6:24:16 PM PST
B. Janes says:
Poor El Duce, Tells the world he knows who killed Kurt Cobain, then ends up under a train as a "apparent suicide"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2007 12:05:58 AM PST
I killed Kurt Cobain.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2007 4:19:10 PM PST
J. Bounds says:
Kurt is dead, Nirvana is dead and soon metallica too. Thank the music gods.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2007 4:06:27 PM PDT
paris says:
metallica is actually better than what's on current radio.

even st. anger sounds better than that emo garbage of "wooh is me" crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 4:52:23 PM PDT
ClydeNut says:
yes, Metallica should just hang it up. They can't recreate what they have done, come up with something new, or even make a good experimental album.
Plus, James' voice has just withered away.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2007 6:45:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2007 6:50:29 PM PDT
yea metallica are dead with cliff rip they backstabbed the old fans like myself the real metal heads not the metal posers 2day die already hail marduk and real thrash metal

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2008 5:36:30 PM PDT
anubus says:
The new Maiden is terrible. Now there's a band that needs to retire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 6:13:20 PM PDT
Adam Lambert says:
Sorry dude Maiden still rules

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 6:38:58 AM PDT
Mark Baum says:
Well I've given "Death Magnetic" a good listen. I've downloaded the FLAC version from a filesharing network to see if my choice to never buy another 'tallica album was the right move. I hate it when I'm right: I'm glad I didn't buy it.

They try hard by going back to some seriously speedy tracks. Kirk's solos are a nice reminder of the way the things used to be and he plays quite well. Unfortunately the songs are overlong again with average lyrics (the writing isn't as horrible as compared to "St. Anger"). I wouldn't mind a 55-minute 'tallica CD which doesn't feel like it has filler to make it all a bloated excess. But at around 74 minutes for ten tracks it is an overwrought and overlong affair.

And the mastering just sucks (again, I'm listening to the lossless FLAC version)! Too much damn clipping from pushing the audio volume past the digital limit. It's like a horrible combination of what was wrong with Rush's "Vapor Trails" album and 'tallica's "St. Anger".

They tried but failed to learn any lessons. But it was a good try. Now I see why filesharing is a great tool for trying out music before committing money to it. The album was just a sad reminder of their previous glory. Even at $8.99 I still find it's not worth the money. It's their last ditch effort at their former glory marred by horrible clipped audio and overlong tracks. It's not as horrible as "St. Anger" but still handicapped by such major flaws.

I'm sticking by my commitment. I'm never buying another 'tallica album ever again. But I'm still buying albums on CD because there are albums out there worth the money. "St. Anger" and "Death Magnetic" aren't worth it. Love it or hate it, filesharing is here to stay. Take advantage of it and try before you buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 12:32:12 AM PDT
Michael says:
Filesharing is crap, myspace and youtube is your best friend as far as checking out new music. Hell, even playlist.com is usable.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 5:47:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2008 5:48:00 PM PDT
yea but once myspace and youtube go down the cracks.....filesharing will still be around. Bee around since the late 70s but in the form of tape trading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008 9:55:06 AM PST
Mark Baum says:
MySpace and YouTube are inferior. Let's just say that I've been trading files since the late '80s and know about the various the file formats. MySpace and YouTube are deeply flawed proprietary web interfaces tailored to the technically unsavvy masses.

For new music I still go by word of mouth. And, if that artist's reputation hasn't been sullied further, there's a higher likelihood of me buying an album rather than downloading it first.

There are exceptions: I wound up discovering the Mentors' albums through filesharing via eMule back around the Summer of 2005. I've had some fond memories of a friend who I worked with in the mid-'90s telling me what an awesome band they were but never followed up until that moment. After downloading and enjoying a few tracks I decided to track down where I could buy the albums online. So now I have a nice stack of Mentors' albums, bought and paid for, that I treasure to this day.

So, if you know what you're looking for, filesharing is your best friend. Since I've heard my fair share of dodgy and poorly-ripped and converted .MP3 files using shoddy or obsolete codecs or rips which were hastily released for the sake of getting something out there, I'd opt for the larger FLAC lossless files. If you want low-quality Shocked-to-death streaming-now versions then opt for the lower quality stuff on MySpace or YouTube.

And, as always, if you like what you hear then give the artists some money for the quality tunes!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  St. Anger forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Aug 27, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
St. Anger
St. Anger by Metallica (Audio CD - 2003)
2.8 out of 5 stars (4,216)