4.0 out of 5 stars From the Ark to wolf as guest of the lamb
Published on May 4, 2010 by Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Answers the question but could go further
I found the book to be logical and helpful. I particularly enjoyed learning about St. Francis and being shown what the Bible says about life after death. The author rightly spares the reader, who might be grieving the loss of a pet, from a moral debate on cruelty to animals in the food industry. However, because he bases his argument on God's love for all animals and not...
Published 17 months ago by Anton

4.0 out of 5 stars From the Ark to wolf as guest of the lamb, May 4, 2010
Librarian (Upstate NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This book, in the best tradition of St. Francis of Assisi, senses the universality of all creation in God, and can't contemplate how God would ever pull it apart, wrenching creature from beloved creature, and call what is left "heaven." Rather, Friar Jack's personal conviction is that God loves all His creation, which is witnessed by His saving the animals on the ark, all the way through to the specific promises of Revelation in which the wolf is guest of the lamb.

It is a beautiful reflection on a loving God, and in a sense gently mocks those who would say differently in the face of the proclamation that "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, and neither has it entered into the heart of man what things God has prepared for those who love Him." We trust in the goodness of God, and the goodness of His Promise. The book ends with prayers we can say over a healthy creature, a sick creature or a dying or dead creature. We see in the prayers how all creatures rest in God's Hands. And from all that God has done, we see no reason to believe these creatures, yes dogs and all the rest of creation, will slip through those Sacred Hands at the last minute. Praise God!

For anyone who has ever had to answer a child's question about a departed pet, and for the child soul in each of us, Friar Jack leads us to comfort and peace.

From Librarian at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, February 6, 2010
The author gives a logical explanation of the place of all creatures in creation. I particularly like the way he sited scripture to explain what he has written. I am an animal lover so I was convinced I will see my dog in Heaven even before I read this amazing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 4, 2009
As a Friar Minor, Fr Jack imparts the values of the founder of his Order, St Francis, through his thorough treatment on this subject. I have been asked exactly the same question (the title of the book) by many too. Now I know how to answer this question well without complicated theological jargons and pretensions - but with style and true Franciscan sensibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-Thought Out Position, May 26, 2010
I think that everyone who has ever loved an animal has wondered whether we will see them again in heaven. The traditional Catholic answer has always been "No" because animals don't have free will like we do. Therefore, they can't choose to love God and have no part in the beatific vision that awaits us after death. While Franciscan Friar Jack Wintz acknowledges that no one knows for sure whether animals will share heaven with us, in "Will I See My Dog in Heaven?" he makes a strong case that they will indeed share in the glory to come.

Wintz relies on Scripture and the witness of the saints to support his position. As a Franciscan, he takes St. Francis' position that animals are our brothers and sisters seriously. Not only does Wintz focus on the question of whether our beloved pets will be in heaven, but also on the broader issue of "Does God intend the whole created world to share in God's saving plan?" Believing that God intends heaven to be a new Garden of Eden (and that scripture expresses this), Wintz' answer is an unequivocal "yes." After all, God cares for all of his creation, not just the humans. In the Biblical telling of "Noah and the Ark," God makes sure that all the animals are saved. The covenant symbolized by the rainbow is made not only with humans, but with all the other living creatures (Gen 9:8-10). In the tale of Jonah and the city of Ninevah, the animals fasted along with the people. All were required to turn from their evil ways. In Psalm 148, all of creation gives God praise. These are just some of the pieces of evidence Wintz offers. His arguement is well-thought out and compelling.

No one knows for certain what heaven will look like, but Wintz does make a strong case that we will see our faithful four-legged friends and all of the animals in the kingdom to come. I very much hope that he is right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting for my granddaughter's loss, November 1, 2009
I ordered 2 of these booklets. One for my self and one for my grieving granddaughter who lost her 10 year old Pug who had been her closest companion since she was 6 years old. She is a very spiritual for a girl of 16 but the loss of her dear friend was beginning to be unhealthy. She had discussed her feelings with our parish priest and he was very helpful. This book ia a comfort for her. I ordered one for myself as I have a 17 year old rescue dog that I have had for 15 years and am going to be facing his loss probably in the near future. I recommend this book for anyone who knows the love that can exist between a human and their devoted dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love endures forever, May 30, 2010
The loss of a beloved pet can be a very difficult experience, and this book provides solace for those in the midst of grief. It's particularly difficult for pet-lovers because non-pet-owners just don't understand the love that grows between us and our companion animals. Thanks for a lovely book.
--by the author of
We Thank You, God, for These: Blessings and Prayers for Family Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, April 12, 2010
This review is from: Will I See My Dog In Heaven (Paperback)
Reading this book mades you feel all warm and fuzzy. if you ever wonder if you're going to see your fur-babies in Heaven, this book will make you understand that God wants ALL of His creatures with Him in Heaven. Very refreshing read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent theology, July 7, 2013
As a practicing Catholic, I have always dismissed the old Catholic teaching that only humans went to heaven. I love animals, and I simply refused to believe that God would create such wonderful creatures only to take them away from us forever. I believe, as does Father Wintz and Francis of Assisi, that the divine exists in all of creation. I am so grateful for this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a relief!, June 1, 2013
John C. bossolt (North Brookfield, MA, US) - See all my reviews
Father Wintz has put my mind at rest: I will be with Billy in heaven. I prayed for solace that he did not just "wink out" when I euthanized him on 18 April (throat cancer) after 14-1/2 years of companionship. This book is a treasure for pet lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Father Wertz work is invaluable if you love your pets, and all creatures!!, July 25, 2010
A great read for serious pet lovers. Be satisfied by Father's research on God's creatures. It will give you hope and you can pass it on. Great Book.

Will I See My Dog In Heaven
Will I See My Dog In Heaven by Jack Wintz (Paperback - April 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $1.01