Will this play movies from an external 2TB hard drive? Will this play movies from an external 2TB hard drive?

Movies are in MP4 format. Does anyone know?
asked by Always Samsung on November 17, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
That is too complicated. I will get another streaming media player like "WD LIve" or "ROKU XS". I have 2 TB external hard drive with all my movies in MP4 format (plays on iTunes via PC) and was wondering if this would play my movies as well. I dont wanna stream or use any wi-fi. I just want to plug in an external 2TB hard drive and play it that way. I want the media player to pick up the 2TB hard drive and i then select what movies i want 2 watch. I want simplicity, but Apple doesnt know what that means.

What is M4V?

All my movies are MP4 format (quicktime) and play perfectly on iTunes.
Always Samsung answered on November 28, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
it does not work that way, if you wanna watch movies from the appletv you need a computer with itunes to watch, if you wanna watch mp4's that are not apple compatible aka M4V you need to jailbreak your appletv and install "media player" and stream all movies from your pc to the appletv, heres the info: http://firecore.com/atvflash-black, after you jailbreak you buy/purchase the atv flash for the black box and run the .exe from your computer and it will find your appletv "jailbroken" on your network and after that you can install media player and stream all your non M4V movies to the appletv, this even inlcudes mkv's and any other format.
Amazon Customer answered on November 20, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Well, apple does not really want to complicate things with your way of living, but remmember the apple tv was made for a living room or a place were it would be far far away from your laptop or computer, that's were the streaming comes from, they dont want you to be cariying around a 2 lb hard drive from computer to pc just to update new movies or tv shows or music, they want that everything that's in itunes(PC), would be just streamed directly to your apple tv on your tv set via wifi of ethernet cable(best choise for full speed), that's why the appletv and the Roku boxes are cheap and small, because they only stream media, on the other hand the other media players are not so cheap because they have an integrated hard drive and for you to playback movies and tvshows you must have a powerful pc to convert all movies and tv shows to the format that those media players can run which by far are wort's than apples codec which is M4V=MP4(that's why you can run some videos on mp4 on itunes), in other words, whatever is in itunes the appletv can run it, but remember you must have your itunes libray organized:movies,tv shows and music all in their place, or you will have a mess, if you need any help im gald to help you on how to organize itunes.
Amazon Customer answered on November 28, 2011

A
Thanks 4 your help.

Since Apple TV is for the home, thats why it is perfect if it had the capability to access movies via an external 2 TB hard drive. You wrote they dont want to make things complicated by having someone carry a 2TB hard drive around, but this is a home device, so nobody would be doing that. Its perfect to have the 2TB hard drive right next to the APple TV and plugged in, and ready to go.

I dont have a powerful PC. I just convert movies files to MP4 format because thats the only format that i know that iTunes takes. Since every media player out there inluding the iPod/Zune/iPod Touch, etc. all play MP4 files - thats the format i decided to convert it to. I am so shocked APple TV cant play quicktime movies via USB drive.

Anyways, i'll think about it. Apple TV doesnt seem very user friendly.

WD TV Live and Roku seem more accommodating.
Always Samsung answered on November 28, 2011

A
I hope you make the best choice available, good luck!.
Amazon Customer answered on November 28, 2011

A
to Always Samsung,
This thing is a beast, once jailbroken and combined with XBMC there is no looking back.
The only 2 cons are:
1ST
It streams 720p no 1080p (Soon a 1080p unit of appletv be available) but that is not really visual not much difference.
2nd
The second is not really a con but here it is, in order to enhance the video codecs ( not that there is anything wrong with the unit's decoding) you will need to install a Broadcom Crystal HD card (range from $20 to $79) and the negative to this part is that you have to install this in the same slot as the wireless card inside your Apple_TV, meaning you'll have to go Wired and not wireless.
read-up on XBMC_org
A. Cherif answered on December 1, 2011

A
That sounds 2 hectic.
Always Samsung answered on December 2, 2011

A
all the posters needed to tell you was that the AppleTV does not have a usb port that you could plug your hard drive into. If you want to view your own content, you have to have it on your PC and stream it via iTunes. The Roku XS does have a usb port for that purpose, and supports MP4 file types just as the AppleTV does. In fact anything that plays in iTunes on any iStuff product will play on Roku. The WD supports this as well, has 2 usb ports and supports many other file types as well. The Roku boxes have a vastly superior streaming selection in terms of amount of content and choices. That in addition to the usb make the Roku a very good choice
Robert B. answered on December 4, 2011

A
I have movies in iTunes that i did not buy from the iTunes store. It is movies i copied and added. All of which are in MP4 format. Will the Apple TV stream this, or they only stream stuff brought from iTunes?
Always Samsung answered on December 4, 2011

A
Yes, indeed if your movies can play on itunes they can play on the appletv, i have tons of HD movies that i ripped myself and anime in HD quality from the net, i just convert them with freemake(best free video converter out there, IM NOT SPAMING LOL) and then add them to my movies/tv shows library, just like pirated music that are added to the music libray.
Amazon Customer answered on December 5, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›