Will the Leaf Plus pick up VHF signals? We currently are using an old amplified rabbit ears/loop antenna that has seen better days (broken ears, cracked case). According to AntennaWeb we should only receive about 3 stations; 2 vhf and 1 uhf. We actually receive over 40.

Our local NBC, PBS, and Fox affiliates are on VHF, and are about 27 miles away.

I see from posts that the Mohu Leaf (not the Plus) is less efficient at receiving vhf because of its size. Will this amplified Leaf Plus do a better job at receiving vhf? Will it boost all signals?

Thanks for your help!
asked by PatnPat on December 27, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I get VHF Station reception even with the cheaper Regular LEAF Antenna : CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and the Towers are over 40miles away, and I did not even place it next to a window.
It is quite important to find the right direction & "Sweet-Spot" in the Room and try to place it in a High Place preferably (as it is not a Biderictional Antenna).

I am thinking buying an additional Regular LEAF Antenna and a "Combiner Connector (not Splitter)" (Channel Plus) to make a "Bidirectional Antenna" System, and all this for less than $65 (2 LEAF Antennas + Combiner)
Georgenewport1 answered on July 30, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can you include a link to one of these "Combiner Connector (not Splitter)" . The Bidirectional Antenna Idea sounds good.
Mcox answered on July 31, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I realize this is an old question, but the answers (while well meaning) kind of missed the mark. HDTV is a fundamentally different video/broadcast standard than NTSC--the standard we've been using since TV started broadcasting here in the US many decades ago. The VHF/UHF signal range definition was devised by the predecessor of our FCC to regulate the (broadcast) airwaves and standards for the manufacturers "for the public good." Remember, the FCC is also responsible for Radio, HAM, Police over and Fire over-air, Short-wave, etc. When HDTV came around there simply wasn't any broadcast bandwidth left to allocate for the New high definition TV. What's more, every channel required 2˝ times the bandwidth: in other words, to carry "standard definition" channel two, high definition channel two channel would require (for example) "standard" channels 2, 3, and half of channel 4. How did the FCC manage to transition from the old to the new system? They set a date certain when the major broadcasters must switch over from Standard to High (it was the only way). The broadcasters established temporary standard definition locations in the UHF range for the transition, which they advertised during the six month lead-up as I recall. The bulk of the transition took place in waves, over the course of six months, and was essentially completed in a year--although there were still standard definition broadcasters as much as two years later (small, low wattage broadcasters, many of them non-English; but I'm speaking as someone in the greater NYC marketplace, probably one of the most densely saturated of all broadcast markets in the US). The mechanics of the HDTV transmission is even more interesting. The signal is divided into two parts--one in the lower signal range (generally the VHF range) and the other in the upper range (generally in the UHF range). Not all channels can start in the VHF range --it runs out--so sufficient space is reserved in the lower UHF for the bottom halves of channels to be properly established. I don't believe there is a specific limit to the number of channels in a broadcast HDTV system but there clearly is a limit to the broadcast bandwidth that (as best as I can tell) is pretty absolute. With digital cable, On the other hand, the system is essentially open-ended. Ten thousand channels? Why not. If your mind (and behind) can take it, have at it... I hope this historical and technical review was helpful. Looking at HDTV in terms of "VHS" is simply not appropriate because "VHS" is a term and a bandwidth division that only applies to standard definition/ NTSC and is literally "Old School."
J. Rosenman answered on September 28, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes it will because it is amplified.
P. M. Buff answered on April 30, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›