Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Will this work in Apple's Boot Camp? I was thinking about getting a copy of Windows for my iMac (i5 quad core). Are there any issues with using OEM versions with the current version of Boot Camp?
asked by Matthew on May 7, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
margaurite answered on May 26, 2011
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
ahiker4u answered on May 13, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Are you all using the 32bit, or 64 bit version of Win7?

Parallels and other VM's are great for a lot of reasons. The main reason you *don't* want to use them is when the applications are CPU intensive - the VM has to translate everything from the one os (OSX) into the the other. Running in 'native' mode, e.g. booting directly in the OS you need, gives you far more horsepower.

iMacs Rock!
A Writer answered on July 11, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm wondering the same thing :), if you find out will you please post the answer? I have XP Pro and have had no luck installing it on iMac (i3). The keyboard doesn't respond during the install so there has been no way to install. Thought i would try this, but not sure if I'd run into the same issue or if this OEM version would work.
margaurite answered on May 8, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey, ahiker4u:

Thanks for the feedback,especially about Parallels. I'm aware of the different VM software out there. Being the cheapskate that I am, Boot Camp fills the bill of being free! At least for now, anyway.

IIRC, Sun has a VM that's free. However, your post confirms all of the great things I've heard about Parallels so far.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Matthew answered on May 13, 2011

A
You are very welcome Matt. If you decide later on to go with Parallels, I believe I saw it on Amazon for approximately 49.00 dollars. Otherwise it's a 79.00 dollar program. Good luck on your endeavors.
ahiker4u answered on May 13, 2011

A
64 bit
margaurite answered on July 11, 2011

A
The black diamond in the notification area is the Boot Camp control panel. If you pick "Restart in Mac OS X . . .", OS X will become the default operating system.
Joe Ekaitis: Gray Haired Geek answered on July 15, 2011

A
Cool, thanks! I didn't see a diamond in the notification area but "System Preferences" then "Startup Disk" let me pick which one to keep as the startup.
margaurite answered on July 15, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product