Will this work on our Windows 8 ?
asked by Michael Yonkus on December 18, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
vote
the bigger question is, will this work with my cable company. I just had the tuning adapter added now it receives all channels. Time Warner Cable. yes it will please see their info here
http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/instructions/primewmc8/
dan m answered on December 18, 2012

A
vote
It will work with windows 8, but you need to install windows media center first, which s an additional purchase now I believe.
Shiz answered on December 18, 2012

A
vote
It's working fine with Windows Media Center on Windows 8 Pro, and the SiliconDust driver/setup application on the Windows 8 desktop. I am not aware of any native Windows 8-style (aka Metro) apps at the moment. See the link from "dan m" for the SiliconDust apps and drivers.
Robert A. Recny answered on December 18, 2012

A
vote
The hardware would be fine. The software is where you would have any compatibility issues. We use ITV from Elgato. I believe they make a Windows version. You could check with them.
ssymms answered on December 18, 2012

A
votes
In response to your question, Michael, the HomeRun Dual does work with, Quote: "Windows Media Center - Windows Vista/7/8" and, of course, Media Center is what the tuner interfaces with in your Windows 8 OS.

Regards,
Al T.
Amazon Customer answered on December 18, 2012

A
votes
I've used it on Windows 7 without any problem, but it came standard with Windows Media Center, which I've read isn't standard on Windows 8.
Fred J. Corron answered on December 19, 2012

A
votes
Yes, it plugs into your network not the computer. The HD Homerun software you need to install works flawlessly with Windows 8 Pro. I have 3 of these and couldn't be happier. Just remember if you are using Windows Media Center to watch TV, it only allows you to set up 4 tuners inside of it. So I used 4 tuners (2 devices) on the computer I record with, and 2 tuners (1 device) to share between the laptops. I would recommend having a good wireless router if you are planning on streaming it wirelessly to other devices. Also, with the right app it worked on an I Pad too.
bproctor answered on December 20, 2012

A
votes
BTW Microsoft is still giving away the Media Center Pro Pack "http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs". However this does require you to have the Pro edition of Windows 8 to install. Follow that link or go to Microsoft's website to get your free key and the instructions to install it. I think this is suppose to end in January 2013.
bproctor answered on December 20, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›