Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on February 10, 2010
I admit, I bought this cookbook for myself because I love to read cookbooks and I love to cook. This has been, by far, the most enjoyable cookbook I have read. The author does a fantastic job of connecting with his readers. Prior to EVERY recipe is a personal note, description of the recipe, explanation of a particular ingredient, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these! This book was not nearly as intimidating to me as another WS cookbook I purchased. There are terrific pictures in this book, probably one out of every three recipes has a photo to accompany it. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves food, and especially to anyone who loves comfort food!
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2010
I just received this wonderful new Williams-Sonoma cookbook. I look at the WS site and was going to order it there until I saw that it was $34.95. As always, Amazon is the place to buy just about everything you need. Anyway...

The recipes aren't too hard and the pictures are amazing and so plentiful. You really get a good idea of how the dishes will turn out.

I've started on page one and I'm cooking my way through the book. Goodness, maybe I should do a blog and then it could become a best picture nominee! Yea, right.

The cookbook is good for the beginning cook all the way to the more seasoned cook. I highly recommend purchasing the book and getting back to recipes that mom and dad used to make. This W-S recipe book rocks!
on February 25, 2010
A lot of old favorites in here. Nothing really special, but some good recipes. I made the braised short ribs to everyone's delight. If you want all the old favorites in one place this is a good book.
on April 30, 2010
Admittedly, I'm a cookbook junkie, but this is the first time I've taken the time to review one on Amazon. Why this book? Because in a few short weeks, it's become one of our favorite cookbooks. The first night we had this book, we raced out to get all of the ingredients for the mac and cheese. We were not disappointed with the results. The next recipe we tackled was the chicken pot pie (being vegetarians, we substituted for the chicken) and it came out like a page from Gourmet (and tasting as sumptuous and rich as it looked). Other recipes have proven the first two weren't a lark...it's a darn wonderful cookbook! We are good home cooks, but not professional caliber by any means and our results have been fantastic. A few more meatless recipes would be appreciated, but we're getting proficient at veg revisions.
on December 20, 2010
This cookbook features simple and familiar recipies, that give a little variety without trying to be too over-fancy. Honestly, this is one of the best purchases I've made in the past year of buying loads of cookbooks: it features many old favourites, with meals suitable for breakfast and brunch, lunches, dinners, and desserts, including an entire section focusing just on creative side dishes, is beautifully illustrated with pictures for most recipes, and is an excellent addition to anyone's kitchen, especially if you live somewhere with cold winters, or you just enjoy those good ol' recipes your grandma used to make!

I waited though until I tested a few recipes before I wrote this review, but thus far I've successfully made the Spaghetti & Meatballs, Smothered Pork Chop, Roast Lemon Chicken, Old-Fashion Potato Salad, Chocolate Chip Cookies, the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, and the Devil's Food Cake and all were not only delicious, but also looked incredibly attractive, PLUS the recipes were pretty much exactly to the ingredients/instructions they provide!

This book is good for beginners (easy instructions, plus the ingredients are simple and readily available) but also for the seasoned home-chef, as they relive many of these old favourites that go down well with any sort of company or family occasions.

Just one quick note: there aren't any salads featured in the sides area which was a little surprising, but then I suppose it's "comfort" food, so I should not really have expected anything suitable for a slimmer variety. I have admittedly though limited a little of the butter or oil in a few recipes, but you can do that easily without spoiling any of the quality.

Overall, the beautiful pictures, easy instructions and ingredients, and pleasant personal descriptions from the author (giving a little side-note, variant, or history to the recipes) make this a fantastic purchase or a gorgeous gift to a enthusiastic or seasoned cook!
on December 1, 2010
I own most of the WS cookbooks and this one is above and beyond in terms of tasty results. I've made about 1/3 of the recipes and the Author's little twists on comfort dishes make a big difference. I'm a pretty good cook but my Father-In-Law almost fell out of his chair when I served the chocolate chip cookies -- they are addictive. Love this cookbook! The best WS cookbook by far.
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2010
I preordered this book in order to vary the cooking I do during the winter months with some new recipes. This is an excellent choice as it provides a variety of choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts.

The book is divided into 5 main sections - Rise and Shine, Midday Meals, Suppertime, On the Side, and Something Sweet. An index of recipes can be found towards the back as well as several base recipes for cooking essentials (stocks, marinara sauce, mayonnaise, pizza dough, etc.). I've only tried a handful of recipes so far, mostly the sides and one dessert, but I think several of the suppertime recipes will be tasted and tested in my household before the end of winter. The book is well presented and would be an excellent addition in any active home cook's collection.
on January 27, 2013
I've never been a good cook, although I enjoy trying. I thought this book would make me love cooking, but I've only gotten through a couple of the recipes. As a beginner I just felt very unsure of myself trying these recipes. The book has a good variety of foods to choose from and everything looks delicious.
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2011
This would be the perfect wedding showing gift for a new bride - all the basics are in here with easy to follow instructions and gorgeous photos.

More experienced cooks will get a lot out of this as well - there were a number of recipes that we new to me, and each turned out sumptuously. Butterscotch pudding from scratch - absolute heaven! I love that this book contains no sketchy ingredients or pre-done mixes and that I can count on the recipes to work as written every time.
on September 10, 2010
Yep, the book is as good as the cover looks - but fair warning, I'm a big fan of WS cookbooks. This one does not fail me: Great photos, non fussy ingredients. Overall, a great item to keep and reference.