5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money if your cell phone if a business tool.
My job requires me to travel between PA, NY, CT, MA, NH & ME almost weekly. The ability to talk to clients while traveling is essential in my line of work. Pulling over at a rest stop to 'hold' a call is often not an option and a HUGE waste of time!

Published on November 13, 2011 by In4mation

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparision of Wilson 801201 and 810210 & Cyfre CA819
When I purchased this one I thought it be great to be able to share.

Published on August 18, 2012 by Nutritarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money if your cell phone if a business tool., November 13, 2011
This review is from: Wilson Electronics - Mobile Wireless - Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Vehicle (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Now that I have +3,000 road miles and countless conversations using this device, I thought I would write a review for others 'considering' this setup. Also worth mentioning, I average between 2,500 - 3,500 cell minutes per month to give you some idea how much I use a cell phone throughout the states I mentioned.

The benefits of this device are amazing yet obvious so I won't bore you with my praises. Rather, I thought I would provide a highlight of cell network problems you will likely continue to experience with the Wilson repeater. I suspect one or more of the items I mentioned below is the primary culprit behind a few of the negative reviews this device.

- This device is a "signal booster". It will do an excellent job in areas of very weak signal. However it cannot reproduce signal where none exists.

- Distance between your phone and the Wilson internal antenna has a direct impact on signal strength and performance. Ideally, your phone should remain within 6" (12" max) of the internal antenna for best performance in weak areas. The manufacturer states 24" but this distance will not yield the best performance in weak areas. If you live in a "Hands Free" state, it's likely your phone already has a home in the center console. Mount the Wilson antenna as close as possible to this area. If you hold a phone in a traditional manner, mount the antenna on the side of the headrest. Either location should place the antenna within distances I recommended.

- An active call on a 3G network cell tower will not pass a call to an older 'EDGE' cell tower. The same is true vise versa. The Wilson repeater 'may' lessen this effect simply because the amplification is strong enough to reach the next available 3G cell tower. If not, your call will be dropped. I have ATT but assume the same is true for Verizon and Sprint 3G networks.

- Roaming Networks & State Lines. Most of us experience areas where a call is dropped every time for no apparent reason. Often times this is because you have traveled into a partner/roaming network. Certain towers/providers are not setup to hand off active calls between networks. Again, the Wilson repeater cannot correct an infrastructure issue.

- This device, like any amplifier consumes power. It will drain your battery. Plug the amp into a 12v power outlet switched with the key (ignition).

Overall, I am delighted with this device and would buy one again in a heartbeat.

TIP 1: For people with two cars but cannot afford to purchase two repeaters: Buy a second set of antennas and power supply. I move the amp from my car to truck in less than 5 minutes (no tools).

Tip 2: Dirt will eventually work its way under the magnetic antenna base and scratch your paint. Adhere a small piece of clear tape to the car to keep this from happening. I cut mine in a slightly larger circle and you can hardly tell it's there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best out there!!!, November 24, 2009
My job requires me to travel throughout most of the southest and there are ALOT of areas with little to no cellular coverage. Since my vehicle is my office I also need my Cellular Aircard to work for internet purposes and to connect to our company database. I carry a company phone(Verizon Blackberry) and my personal phone(at&t iPhone) incase one doesn't work hopefully the other one will. My wife finally got tired of our conversations getting dropped and me complaining so much that she ordered a Cellular Amplifier from another online vendor(not a Wilson). I didn't even know these things existed until she suprised me one weekend when I came home. Man was I excited.....so I took everything out of the package and began reading the instructions to learn about how this unit operated and how it should be installed. I have somewhat of a 12volt background and am quite skilled in car audio installation and knew installation was going to be a breeze.....but for those that are not aware most of these units actually just plug into the car 12v outlet for power and you just plug in the outside antenna and the inside antenna to the amp and your done...but with my background I wanted it to be more permanant. Before I decided to mount everything I decided to use it the next week and make sure everything worked properly. BOY WAS I GLAD I DID!! This unit made it look like it I had full bars all over but as my week went on I noticed the dropped calls didn't go away and actually they seemed to be worse. Once home that next weekend I started my research about the different amplifiers on the market and I visited many of the different companies websites. That's when I came across the Wilson 801201. Having remembered Wilson from the CB days as the best CB Antenna Manufacturer out there I figured their quality would trickle down to their other products. I luckily was able to return the other brand amp and once that was handled I called Wilson Electronics and talked to their tech support to get their recomendations. I explained to them what problems I was having and they recommended what I needed. So once we got the Wilson kit in and I opened the box I could see the quality difference just in the product itself. Again I decided to use it for the next week before I fully installed everything. I was pleasantly suprised during my 1st day that my drop call problem was almost non-existant. Not only did both my phones show more bars my aircard actually worked in places its never worked before and at faster speeds. I didn't realize it would help my download speeds but it does. I might have had 1 or 2 dropped calls over the last 2 months but thats nothing compared to 10 a day like before. This amp has greatly exceeded my expectations and I tell everyone about it. I'm proof that there are others out there but when it comes to the best nothing competes with a Wilson amp.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good!, November 12, 2011
So far it's working as stated as it would. I bought it for my boyfriend who works in the oil field and we live up in the western part of ND so signals can be bad. He is able to get signal where he didn't before and call out. Also, call quality is better after hooking up to the booster. I am thinking of getting one for my house as I use an aircard for my internet and signal can be erratic in my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful range extender, January 4, 2012
I have a cabin in the Montana mountains and use a Samsung Infuse on the ATT GSM network. Without the booster I have no signal in the metal-roofed cabin and an occasional signal outside. With the booster and an external roof yagi antenna the signal improves to 2 bars and is good enough to use the cell phone as an internet modem. A 'Small Office Home office' (SOHO) booster would be more appropriate for in a building, but this works to replace a dead Smoothtalker booster.

Similarly, in the car and truck these boosters make a phone connection more reliable as I drive from town to the ski hill, extending range about 10 miles in mountainous terrain. There is not a cell site at or near the ski hill, so it's a drive into a cell black hole.

As another more common example, driving on the prairie and descending into a depression about 8 miles from what I think is an ATT cell site I lose connection without the booster but keep a good solid connection with the booster.

Rather than attach the interior antenna to the side of the seat per the directions I Velcro the internal antenna directly to the phone to get max signal to noise ratio. It makes a difference in bars, not sure if it affects reception since the real weakness of modern handsets is their low power output.

One drawback - this booster requires a 6 Volt power supply, which is a pain in the backside in a 12 volt world. Granted, the included power cord has a 12/6 stepdown transformer, but why that design? The predecessors were all 12 volt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for those living or traveling in rural areas, especially truck drivers!, May 21, 2012
The following review is from my husband:

I am a truck driver in the Pacific Northwest. My travels take me to some very rural locations, typically at night. For me, a cell phone can be a lifeline, especially in the winter when a breakdown in a rural area could have me waiting for several hours at a minimum, for someone to come by to summon help. So, with reasonable exception, my phone needs to connect. I started using this with AT&T, as I was having trouble staying connected, even on the main interstates, such as I-84. The first night, I dropped the call once in my 500 mile trip between Boise and Seattle. When before, I had at least a dozen or more dead spots. A couple of these dead zones are about 15 miles in length. This has been reduced to 1.5 miles, at worst. Only the steepest and narrowest of canyons prevented my call from being or staying connected, which one would reasonably expect. As a further test, I then lent it to a fellow company driver that was going out into SE Oregon and into N Central Nevada. He reported that he went from spotty at best for a good half of his route, to no less than two bars and no drops for about 90% of the trip! I can tell you that the Wilson brand of signal boosters are well worth the money, and are everything and more that they claim to be.

Installation was a little different for me. I drive a company truck, and typically use the same truck every night. But sometimes I have to switch trucks, especially if I am headed to one of our larger terminals, to be serviced. So mine needed to be portable. I built a shoebox sized wooden box to mount it and my CB on. The box mainly served to contain the excess cord length. (I had first mounted it to a simple piece of plywood, but that was messy with all of the extra cord length.) On one side I attached the main unit, so that I could keep easy track of the three lights on it, which tell you if you are having an issue with the unit. I also attached the internal antenna and a phone cradle next to that, with my CB on top. I also bought the trucker's antenna and an extension cable, and semi-permanently installed them. But I found that the included mini antenna worked just as well. I keep that one in my "truck bag", in case I need to switch trucks, so I don't have to remove the other one from my assigned truck. So the phone stays in the cradle near the internal antenna, which it needs to work properly, and by using a Bluetooth or other headset, I can have hands free driving with virtually no dropped calls. And it even seems to help our company's hand held dispatch computers to connect. Sometimes I had to wait until I get to a "better area" before I could get updates from them about what they need me to do. With this booster, they come right through. Which has saved me some backtracking miles more than once! I can't say enough good things about it. A must have for any truck driver, in my opinion!

Now for the side notes. I lent it again to another friend that was going out into central nevada for some pre-hunting season exploring. He uses T-Mobile, and had no better service with it than without. So, if your carrier doesn't have much coverage in the area, you may still be out of luck. Nothing beats a carrier that covers your territory well. Also, if you travel into a larger metro area, it is advisable to turn it off. If you get too close to a tower, it will overpower it. It's built by Wilson to regulate this itself, but if I saw the orange lights start coming on, I would just shut it down for a few minutes. Depending upon your truck's configuration, you may have some trouble with the internal antenna picking up the external one's signal. This will also trip an internal disconnect to protect the unit. My truck is a day cab (no sleeper), and sometimes I got interference. I believe it was bouncing the signal off of the front of my trailer and through the back window, where the internal antenna picked it up. Switching to the mini magnet mount antenna, stuck to one of the steel mounts for the cab's roof fairing, farther forward on the roof, seemed to end the problem. I suspect that if you have a sleeper, you will have no problems.

In conclusion, an awesome product that is rugged and performs as advertised. I recommend the dual band, multi user unit, because it helps with the data side of your phone, which is useful for the internet side of things. And the multi user function is nice, since you could have another device using it (like a laptop or a tablet), and be running a GPS program, looking at road conditions ahead of you on the internet, etc., and still get calls over it. I also had a couple of occasions where I was training or transporting another driver with me, and we could both be on the phone with it at the same time. GPS phone apps seems to work much better, and it connects much quicker. I have saved tabs on my iPhone's browser to take me to websites for weather radar and road conditions. I can get current, pertinent info in no time. A great safety item for anyone on the road, especially a truck driver. Well worth the money! A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars wilson 801212, February 7, 2009
jbridge (Jackson, MS) - See all my reviews
This was a fine product and did all it said. I needed mine at camp, because of poor signal. This unit raised my signal two to three bars..... When I really needed signal I put the phone next to the antenna and got full bar everytime!I search all over and amazon was the cheeapest.

5.0 out of 5 stars This amp and antenna sure works for me, October 29, 2009
Duncan C. Fowler (Buffalo, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I have a Blackberry Storm and was disappointed that it did not have an external antenna port.
We take our RV to remote places and like the ability of being able to access both the Internet and make Cell calls.
We also live in a Rural area in Minnesota and I am often driving our car in weak cell strength areas.
I am a Verizon customer primarily because of their extensive coverage.

Being a past customer of Wilson Electronics for Cell antennas for my cars and RV's over the years, I called and talked with their Tech Support staff looking for advice on being able to increase signal strength to my Storm.
They were excellent and very helpful.
They suggested this package to help solve my issues.

I connect the Wilson Amp to their Trucker antenna when in the RV.
And I use the 12" antenna in this package in our car.
I have found it is fairly quick to move the amp between the RV and car.

I have been in several places where there was no signal without the amp but have been able to get 2-3 bars with it.
Of course there are places where no matter where what you do, there is just no signal available to amplify.
But I am confident if one is available, I can use it.

This unit comes with a "Hersey bar" antenna that goes inside the car.
I have found that the best way to use it with the Storm is to Velcro it to the antenna.
I also Velcro the antenna to my dash and just pull the antenna cell phone combination off to use and make calls.
I have also found that I can use this combination to tether my cell to my computer and use it as a data modem.

Perhaps the only thing that would be better for my situation is to have a smaller Hershey bar antenna that would just fit the back of the Storm or iPhone.
(Although I understand they have developed a unit just for the iPhone)

I have been consistently pleased with Wilson Electronics products.
They have been durable and long lasting.
I have recommended them to friends without hesitation as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great product from Wilson, May 9, 2010
I work from my truck and work in many rural locations. After installing the booster areas that I have never had service in will have 5 or six bars in now. I have found that for the best reception, use a bluetooth and set the phone within a couple of inches from the antenna. I used velcro to attach to the front of my seat and set the phone on the seat. It makes it nice if I need to be outside my vehicle in a remote area and can still use the phone. At my hunting camp everyone wants to stand next to my truck so they can use their phones. None of us have any service without the booster. I no exactly where the spots are on I-65 without the antenna and never drop a call in those spots with the booster. I cant say enough about how well it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested and its perfect, March 12, 2014
I was deep in the upper Mojave Desert. I've been to remote places like this and have not had any reception. When I pressed this into service I had 4 full bars of service in the middle of nowhere. I would however would advise that anyone considering the purchase of this kit, instead purchase the one with the cell phone antenna cradle instead of the bar antenna. It's the black item on the right. It is necessary to have that antenna as close to the phone as possible to achieve the highest performance. So the universal cell phone cradle antenna serves that purpose much better. I also have used this amplifier in town, and it shines when I get to areas where I've had weak signals in the past. This booster kit works wonders. It's highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparision of Wilson 801201 and 810210 & Cyfre CA819, August 18, 2012
When I purchased this one I thought it be great to be able to share.

What I found was it would lock on to a signal, show all the bars on my phone. But it would not always connect. It did work in some areas that wouldn't work without booster. So to be fair it did help. I did have my Cyfre booster to compare. It actually would work in some areas the Wllson 801201 could not connect. I did return the Wilson 801201 wireless.

I later obtained a Wilson direct connect 810210 using a Wilson cradle. I found it to connect where Cyfre couldn't find any signal. So I would say the Wilson 810210 is the best for RV camping.

I would say if your in an area that the signal is just a little weak this wireless will be fine, you may find that the inside antenna needs to be only a few inches away, if your in a very weak signal area.

Read my Wilson cradle review for more details about wilsom direct connect 810210.

Rate and Discover Movies