5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool and easier to use than I expected
Published on November 5, 2010 by Pamela Wrona

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
Published on April 17, 2012 by Maddy Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool and easier to use than I expected, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
I bought this because a cupcake recipe I was going to make called for frosting the cupcakes using a pastry bag with a star tip. I like to bake, but knew nothing about decorating desserts. So I went to my local Michael's and was quickly unnerved by the many various tips, pastry bags, etc. available. Then I saw this handy tool --- it is completely reusable, unlike the disposable pastry bags, and very sturdy and easy to maneuver. Plus, it comes with a variety of tips to make a number of different design elements, and other tips that Wilton sells can be used with this tool as well. I actually did just a very simple swirled top for the cupcakes, but I look forward to trying some of the other designs --- stars, leaves, rosettes --- now I see how user-friendly this tool is. It's also very easy to assemble/disassemble, and cleans in a snap. Overall, just very fun to use and a good way to be creative and impress your friends and family!

5.0 out of 5 stars A comparison to the Dessert Decorator Pro, September 19, 2012
short5tack (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
I actually own both this Dessert Decorator Plus and the Dessert Decorator Pro. I already owned the Pro, and was given the Plus as a gift. It actually sat on my shelf for quite some time before I had a project that required two kinds of frosting, so I busted this one out and have actually begun using the Plus more than the Pro. I've been using the Plus regularly now for about 3 and a half years, and I'd estimate I've used it close to 100 times.

Although the Pro's tube is longer and holds more frosting, I actually like the Plus more for a few reasons - first, because the Plus has a clear tube, it makes it easier to ensure that I have filled the tube and not left any air pockets. It also allows me to monitor how much frosting is left in the tube - after a while, I have been able to anticipate how far I can get with the amount of frosting before I must refill. Finally, I feel like I'm able to clean the smaller, clear tube easier (it is easier to clean the entire length of the tube, and also easier to see that it is clean).

As another reviewer mentioned, I also cracked the coupler. Just remember to tighten only until you feel resistance. My coupler cracked about halfway, and I have been able to continue to use it (carefully now). I also recently contacted Wilton to find out whether they sell the couplers individually, and their great customer service department sent me a replacement of both sizes for free! They arrived about a week after I contacted them - just another reason I like the Wilton brand. (And yes - if you use the smaller coupler, you can use standard metal tips with this decorator - just remember to tighten gently - overtightening with a metal tip is how I cracked my first coupler!)

Finally, I just want to share some advice. A lot of reviewers seem to have a hard time filling the tube. I use my hard plastic offset spatula to scoop the frosting from my mixing bowl. Using the spatula's full length, I'm able to scrape the frosting inside the tube, and also get it all the way to the bottom to make sure I have no air pockets. Also, I leave the plunger inside the tube, and fill from the side with the tip. This allows me to adjust the plunger's location so I can control how much frosting I put in. Finally, when you're on that last cupcake and need that last bit of frosting, use as much as you can, then remove the top (the tip, coupler, and the section that connects the tip/coupler to the tube), put some plastic wrap over the back side, and push the last bit out with your thumb. With practice, no one will ever know you were desperate for that last bit of frosting!

5.0 out of 5 stars This worked great for me!, March 31, 2011
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
This is a great way to easily decorate your cupcakes. The filling of frosting was easy and how to dispense it. Very nice!

Update(5/13/11): So far so good. Very easy to use. After using it for awhile icing cupcakes my thumb started to hurt. Depending on how thick your icing comes out will depend on how hard you have to press down.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
The Wilton Dessert Decorator is a wonderful gadget! My favorite thing about this item that it does not leave a mess! While the lever pushes down the frosting down the tube, it leaves it CLEAN. Just like the photo. MUST BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars so fun!, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
i love how my cupcakes turned out after using this product to ice them! my family was very impressed and thought that i had purchased the cupcake for my daughters party. i had originally planned on buying from a baker and that would have been over $50. love that i can do it for much cheaper and they look (and taste) just as good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great deal for occasional use, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
I'm often asked to make baked goods for family parties, and I generally focus on taste before appearance. With several events coming up I thought I'd take a stab at making my cupcakes look a bit nicer. While cakewrecks dot com would probably get a laugh out of my chocolate "poo swirl" frosting, I thought the Dessert Decorator really improved the overall appearance of my cupcakes.

The price of the item is more than fair for what you are getting. Yes, there is a learning curve but it's thankfully short- a glance at the instructions, followed by a few minutes max of practice with a clean flat surface and some decently stiff icing- voila! Basic, nice looking desserts.

This item is certainly for the occasional decorator-the reload frequency would prohibit any real large scale use, and the tips aren't scaled for small detail. It's sturdy, though, and dishwasher safe except for the plunger. I think it will breeze through the upcoming baby showers and birthdays and be in use for at least several years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, April 17, 2012
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
This tool is great for a beginner. Like many of the other reviewers, I was intimidated by the wall of tips, bags, and accessories at my local Michaels, so I purchased this. It is kind of a pain in the butt to fill, but it is easier once you get the hang of it. One of the things I noticed about this was that it was pretty messy. When trying to refill it, the icing got everywhere, but I don't mind the mess so that wasn't a huge issue. The icing tube doesn't hold much so to ice two dozen cupcakes, I found myself refilling it 5 or 6 times. FROM WHAT I HAVE FOUND SO FAR, THIS DOES NOT FIT WITH OTHER WILTON TIPS! As I got better with this tool, I wanted to try other tips, and from my experience thus far the metal Wilton tips do not work like the plastic ones included with this product. Also, don't screw the bottom piece on too tightly! I thought I was just creating a good seal, but the plastic cracked before I finished tightening it. So overall, I would say that this product is great for someone just starting out, but I think I am going to try the icing bags next.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the most part awesome so far...., August 13, 2012
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
I tried this for the first time on mini- cupcakes to create that big swirl you see at designer cupcake shops, it was possible but a little tough on the mini-cupcakes to control but worked later very easily on big cupcakes to look like the bakery. It is easy to lose control of buttercream or cream cheese frosting and have it start slipping because the frosting tends to get pretty warm in here which is why it is a 4 not a five thus far. I found that now and again I could easily cool the frosting down quickly to keep it stiff without a big mess by putting it in the freezer. I have used this about three times and it has made it through the dishwasher with very easy clean up. I have yet to have the spring fail like on other reviews but I am just sort of waiting for that time because the way it is designer I see it is definitely a possibility. I have never been very good with the icing bag so I have to say for bigger jobs I far favor this. I must say if it did break after a few more uses I might still be tempted to replace it with the same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, May 26, 2014
Debbie Honore' (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
I am SO not the type to submit a review, but I just had to for this item. There is not a creative or coordinated bone in my body, but my daughter insisted on specifically "handmade by Mommy" cupcakes for her birthday. I went to Amazon for the right tools to help me cheat my way through this request. I have never been so impressed by a kitchen gimmick as I was with this tool! My cupcakes came out looking better than any cupcakery out there! I colored my frosting, loaded it into this bad boy and piped away on my homemade cupcakes - they were beautiful & looked appropriate for a magazine photoshoot!

This is very sturdy, super easy to use, has multiple tips for decorating (along with a how-to guide) and is a breeze to wash! EVERYBODY at the party commented on my cupcakes and I sent them straight here to order one of these! You will NOT regret this purchase, regardless of your decorating skill level!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and easy to use, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus (Kitchen)
I'm a novice baker myself and couldn't be happier with the outcome of this kit. My cupcakes looked professional e delicious - people actually said they were tasty too. Yum!

Anyway, what I like most is that it's soooo easy to load and use - no skills required for that, which isn't the case with bags. You gotta have some skill to do it right and not have your frosting going out the wrong side. Also, filling the bag can be a total pain if you're not particularly quick or deft, like me. This kit make it super easy and simple to decorate my cupcakes. Itlooks sturdy too, though I never tried dropping it (I'm not that brave), it does look like it can take some abuse.

After I loaded the frosting in the container I thought my recipe was a bit too runny for what I wanted so, I put it on the fridge overnight. JUST PERFECT! I was afraid it would be too hard to get the pump going - I even considered the possibility of having ruined my decorator by having hard frosting inside it...No problem there. The frosting was safe and so was the decorator.

After using it, cleaning was a breeze too. Another great buy with Wilton products.

Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus