Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Color: Red|Change

on September 19, 2011
This frosting is great, especially if you want to use black but don't want it to taste bitter. The only thing I don't understand is the price. This frosting is $1.50 a tube at Wal-Mart.
on June 2, 2013
What can you really say about icing? If you aren't making your own, Wilton is clearly the best alternative. Black is tough from scratch unless you want to use chocolate as the base, so this is a standby in my house. It tastes great and is the perfect consistency for decorating. It will turn one's tongue a lovely shade of dark purple, but the color does not seem to stain anything else.
on September 21, 2013
Making black icing from scratch is a pain, what with either having to use a ton of black colorant (thereby affecting the taste), or using chocolate buttercream as a base (which isn't always an option). So keeping a tube or two of this at home is a great way to always have certain colors on hand. I personally like to keep a tube of black, red, and white in my kitchen. It's a medium/thin consistency, and can be used for shells and borders as well as writing and leaves.

That being said, there are a few cons. Occasionally the component ingredients separate, causing a mess of clear liquid and mush to come out. To prevent that, just knead the tube well before using. Also, if you use this to do a buttercream transfer and also use homemade buttercream, the two kinds of buttercream may not stick to each other very well, meaning that sometimes this icing will not completely come off the waxed paper, leaving gaps. But it's nothing a quick dab of extra buttercream can't fix. And although these tubes are compatible with Wilton tips and coupler collars, the hard tube does offer less pressure control than using a bag. To get around that, I sometimes squeeze some of this into a disposable bag, allowing me to use this icing while giving me the pressure control that a regular decorating bag has. For the convenience and cost I think it's a worthy buy.
on February 27, 2016
Ok, I was a little taken aback by the price, but when I got it in the mail, I discovered I had been sent three tubes. It kind of felt like I won the lottery! So anyway, I made a record player cake for my husband for his birthday and needed black icing. I wanted something easy to use but tasted great. I didn't want to just dye some chocolate icing because it never gets to true black for me. This stuff is BLACK. I really don't want to know how they do it but they do it well. It even tastes good and sweet like it should.
It doesn't come with a tip, but you can purchase any sort of tip and use that on this tube as long as you also buy a coupler for it. Or simply squirt it into a plastic bag and snip off a corner and use it that way. I did empty the tube out into a bowl and mixed in a little water to make it go on smoother. It is a thick icing so if you need to ice a cake with it or do detail work you will want to thin it out beforehand. A lot easier than making your own, that's for sure!
on March 6, 2015
The color was perfect, but if I could have found black food coloring I would never have attempted to use this gook. Even if you must have the color, the texture of this icing makes it impossible to work with, especially using the wilton icing tip set that adapts to this icing.
on December 2, 2015
Did not accept the Wilton standard tip, though all the other colors I ordered did. It tasted okay, but some kids could taste the dye. I don't think I would use it again, but it was easy to use, less the tips not fitting.
on January 25, 2016
The icing is okay I love the color and the fact that you can screw on a decorating tip but I'm not crazy about the icing. I thought it would be more like Wilton's white icing but it isn't. I was using it to make a sunflower on cupcakes and it isn't stiff enough icing for the petals to stand up. I would say it is find for accent details in decorating.
on March 29, 2014
love that i don't have to use decorating bags because the way the tube is made. all i have to do is attach the wilton icing tip to the tube and use it. very easy for someone who don't know much about decorating, like me.
on September 30, 2013
I got several tubes of WIlton + tips to decorate a simple cake; I'm hardly an artist but it worked out well enough, and the icing is mild enough in taste and texture not to detract from the cake itself
on January 31, 2016
Nice, thick, and does the job. I put my piping tips on the end and it's very easy to use. The black does run, though. The dye bleeds into whatever else I'm doing, which I don't really like. It dries a little harder than most of my icings tend to, too, which means lines can flake off. I used it to create a spider webbing pattern for a friend's Spider-Man cheesecake, and a different Adventure Time cake. It did do what I needed it to do. It doesn't taste as bad as most black icings, either. I just wish it wouldn't bleed like it does, since after a while it just kind of ruins the look of the cake. 4 stars for ease of use (trickier than a piping bag, but not the worst), 2 stars for the bleeding, so I gave it 3.