5.0 out of 5 stars Helps acheive a smooth finish to butter cream icing
Published on December 2, 2010 by Nathan L. Stevens

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too sweet - not a good substitute for plain egg whites
Published 21 months ago by PAS80013

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too sweet - not a good substitute for plain egg whites, January 12, 2013
Printed on the can it says "Can be used as an egg white substitute in baking", so I purchased a can so I wouldn't be left with unused yolks. However, this product contains more than just dried egg whites, and it changed the flavor of my recipes. I also used it to create a batch of meringue cookies, and they were too sweet to eat. I ended up throwing them out. Here is the ingredient list from the can (in this order): Corn starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, artificial flavors, silicon dioxide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps acheive a smooth finish to butter cream icing, December 2, 2010
I regularly use this in my butter cream icing, and it helps the icing set-up so it's not sticky. If you accidentally bump into your decorated cake, the damage is less noticeable if the icing was made with meringue powder, and many times can be repaired with a tooth pick. Because it takes the stickiness out of the icing, you can achieve a nice smooth top and sides with ease. Before adding the decorative elements, give the plain iced cake a while to dry then you can place a piece of waxed paper under your hand and slide it over the cake to smooth out the icing. Works well on the sides of the cake, too. It gives you a very professional look, removing the lines from the spatula, and I always receive praise on how smooth my icing is. The price on Amazon is also quite a bit lower than my local craft store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price for what it is, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Wilton Meringue Powder, 16 oz Can (Kitchen)
Well its meringue powder, you don't buy it for the taste but for the stability it provides frostings and a dollar per once is about the right price for a home baker (out the door price).

This is a high quality product, and does what it sets out to do, replaces raw egg whites so you don't have to worry about salmonella poisoning from your royal icing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST!, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Wilton Meringue Powder, 16 oz Can (Kitchen)
Making royal icing is now quick and painless. I HIGHLY recommend to anyone who makes cakes, etc. on a regular basis. Just make sure you have a powerful enough mixer for the job. It is thick and must be beaten for 10+ minutes to make icing. Use one that is 300 Watts or more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps well and makes preparing royal icing a breeze, October 17, 2009
This is a great product. I've found that it keeps pretty well under normal conditions, which is nice since I don't bake as often as I would like. It makes preparing classic royal icing a breeze and has a nice neutral flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased customer, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Wilton Meringue Powder, 16 oz Can (Kitchen)
This powder works great for making royal icing. It was my first try at decorating rolled and cut out cookies and they turned out beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for making buttercream resemble fondant without that fondant taste, December 28, 2011
Wouldn't decorate a cake without it, but I use very little in my frosting... not enough to compromise the taste. I can see how someone would give it very few stars if they used more than a few tsps... I just want enough to firm the frosting a bit and add to the batter to level your cakes out as much as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did its job..., December 27, 2013
I am new to the whole cookie baking scene and for some unknown reason turned into a cookie baking machine this Christmas. I purchased this can of Wilton Meringue Powder to make Royal Icing for the first time and based on the expectations of recipe I was using it in, it did a very admirable job. The only negative for me was that I ended up just not liking the flavor and texture of Royal Icing (a little too chalky tasting and took forever to dry) which was absolutely no fault of the product...just a personal taste preference. I have since moved on to a Glazed Icing that I prefer so much more but that does not require Meringue Powder which means I will be looking or another use for this product...maybe a Lemon Meringue Pie or something. I am excited though to keep experimenting and further exploring this delightful world of baking and will "chalk" this up to a great learning experience. Happy Baking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wilton product, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Wilton Meringue Powder, 16 oz Can (Kitchen)
As with most Wilton products (except their fondant), this product is wonderful. Why Wilton would market a fondant which tastes like feet is beyond me (European fondant is WONDERFUL), but that is a different review. Their meringue powder is wonderful and I purchase it for my bakery regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilton Meringue Powder, April 1, 2013
It is the perfect ingredient for the frosting on sugar cookies.
1/2 C butter-softened
1/2 C shortening
1 tsp extract (I used vanilla)
2 Tbs milk
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 lb powdered sugar
1 Tbs powdered egg white (aka meringue powder) if things are really humid

Mix butter and shortening. Add cornstarch & mix. Add vanilla & mix. Add 1/2 sugar & mix. Add milk & mix. Add rest of sugar & mix. If needed, add additional milk or sugar to get to desired consistency.

Wilton Meringue Powder, 16 oz Can