Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on March 1, 2012
I purchased this strainer through the Webstaurant store after seeing it on Amazon. The strainer is finer than a china cap but not as fine as the Matfer bouillon strainers that sells for $70+. When you hold this strainer up to the light, you can actually see tiny squares where the wires overlap each other. It's good for straining liquids with larger bits, but I wouldn't count on it to capture coffee grains or vanilla bean scrapings. And of course, you wouldn't be able to tell this from looking at the pictures. Overall, it's OK, but if you're looking for a strainer that will catch the tiniest grain from your sauces, stocks, etc, I think the Matfer Bourgeat bouillon strainer is the way to go.
11 comment|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2012
This was a great product! Just what we were looking for to strain the whey from yogurt we were making. It has produced wonderfully smooth, thick and creamy yogurt.
on February 6, 2014
It is better than the ones I but from my supplier for the restaurant I work at. Solid quality and seems like it will last for years. But a bit of advice for these, if you are straining and using a ladle to push the medium through, be gentle and careful. That's the easiest way to destroy these quickly. It will stretch the screen and cause it to separate from the head.
on August 23, 2014
This chinois seems fine in terms of its primary function, i.e., straining. However, I am none too happy that the metal section right where it meets the mesh is razor sharp and sticking out enough to cut you pretty badly. I was just moving it over in a dish area while it was flipped upside down (cone point up) and my thumb ran against this metal and was gashed open.

So 5 stars for chinois at this price, 1 star for hazard = 3 stars??
on February 9, 2013
I seem to have bought all the large China Caps because there are no real large Chinos on line. This one is the finest of the mall if that helps you. Again, I use a gallon plastic pitcher as the collector, it fits perfectly into one. And yes, I needed the beech wood pestle for sure. See other purchase - works like a charm.
on August 28, 2014
Sure there are finer strainers out there but they don't compare with the value of this one. It could be welded in a few more spots for longevity but it hasn't given me an issue yet and strains everything I have needed it to so far.
on August 4, 2014
Works perfect for raspberries! I had borrowed an expensive, very high quality French chinois from a chef I know, and I have to say that this one does as good or better of a job straining pureed raspberries. Seems to take less time and it's holding up fine, so I'm very happy with it.
on September 13, 2013
As somebody already pointed out its slightly coarser than Matfer but good enough for yogurt (just have to be careful and pour the yogurt into it slowly). If you make yogurt every day or work in a restaurant then you probably should get something more pro (like Matfer) but otherwise it is worth the money.
on November 24, 2012
I make our own Greek yogurt and this strainer helps to strain it. I start with a gallon of milk so the next size larger might work better but this one just takes a little longer.
on November 30, 2015
I purchased this because I like to make homemade stocks and broths, and got tired of using a coffee filter and or cheese cloth to get the super fine imperfections out of my broth or stock. The product is large and not to bad to clean it it well made, and I do like that the strainer is reinforced. The strainer is finer than a china cap but not as fine as the Matfer bouillon strainers (used in culinary school, will de-fat liquids) that sells for $$$. When you hold this strainer up to the light, you can actually see tiny squares where the wires overlap each other. It's good for straining liquids with larger bits, but it will not catch imperfection in my broth or stocks, I am still using a coffee filter but only using one. It is a nice strainer, but it is no Matfer Bouillon Strainer