5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A Journey Through Spirit, Soul, and Body
L'Engle blows me away. She nevers dumbs down her language or ideas for a younger audience. She treats readers with respect and intelligence, so much so that I, as an adult, find her books incredibly fascinating and thought-provoking.
Published on October 19, 2001 by Eric Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere between 'Fantastic Voyage' and 'Hair'
Published on November 9, 2007 by Brett Benner

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A Journey Through Spirit, Soul, and Body, October 19, 2001
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
"The Wind in the Door" is as good as its predecessor "A Wrinkle in Time." Although connected, this book can be read alone. The people and creatures are both loveable and loathsome. Meg's character is great, and her family is just quirky enough that we fall in love with them. This time, it's her brother Charles Wallace who is in grave danger. Only as Meg and others enter his body as miniscule entities can they fight the enemies that threaten to kill him. We discover that Echthroi are fallen angels/demons, intent on destroying the universe, and we also find a cherubim named Proginoskes who is there to help Meg and her friend Calvin in the spiritual battle.
Mixing elements of "The Fantastic Voyage" and "Innerspace" with elements of "This Present Darkness," L'Engle gives us a story that somehow has application in myriad ways. It's a story of spiritual deliverance, of math and time debates, of character maturity, even of a young girl learning to love her unloveable school principle. All this in 203 pages.
This is one of the best bargains going. No wonder these books are still around after thirty years; "The Time Quartet" stands the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vintage L'Engle blend of science and spirituality., December 6, 2001
"kaia_espina" (Quezon City, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
In the first of the "Kairos" books, "A Wrinkle in Time", Madeleine L'Engle took Meg Murry, Charles Wallace Murry, and Calvin O'Keefe on a quest through the macrocosm of time and space. In this second book, "A Wind in the Door", she adds an even deeper dimension to her fictional world--which she makes as real to us as our world, sometimes even more real--by sending them on a journey into the microcosm of the human body.
How is it possible for a human being to enter a human body, you may ask, as did the still-irritable, yet still-lovable, Meg Murry. In a special class that teaches universal truths, rather than the imports and exports of Nicaragua, Meg, Calvin, Mr. Jenkins, and the also-human readers will meet a cherubim who has memorized the names of the stars . . . speak to a farandola inside one of Charles Wallace's cells . . . watch the birth of a star "small" enough to hold in a human hand . . . and ultimately learn that size, number, order, and anything that can be measured does not matter.
What do matter are names, for "He knows them all by name" . . . even the little stars so far away from inhabited planets that only those who see without eyes know their names. The loss of a star is no more and no less tragic to the Universe than the death of a young boy. Everything we does matters. Everything we touch sends ripples into the cosmos--the cosmos within and the cosmos without. This time, the mission is to save Charles Wallace's life. Annihilators called the Echthroi want to X him, as they want to X everything else in the Universe. As the book's characters were bound to fight them in the story, we are bound to fight them in real life. This is adventure on a grand scale!
Though the literary critic in me sees a lot of less-than-perfect elements in this novel, I still gave "A Wind in the Door" five stars because what matters most about it is its message. L'Engle's plot twists and fictional inventions make even me raise my eyebrows a few times, but her passion never fails to captivate me. Without fail, it draws me into a world too real to be imaginary and gives me faith in my own world.

5.0 out of 5 stars They face the wind, September 9, 2004
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
One of those books where you scan it from cover to cover and then discover that you still don't know what the title means. Following up the massive success of her phenomenal "A Wrinkle in Time", authoress extraordinaire L'Engle decided to stretch her literary muscles a little further with the sequel "A Wind in the Door". Drawing more heavily on Christian imagery and themes than its predecessor, "A Wind in the Door" is a remarkable effort. Combining metaphysics, Old Testament creations, and the microcosmic building blocks of life, in this book we learn that sometimes growing up and getting older is necessary. Think of this story as the anti-Peter Pan, if you will.

Making zippo references to any of the plot points in "A Wrinkle In Time" (with the exception of an oblique mention of Earth as a shadowed planet and some brief background on Meg's relationship with Calvin), we once again meet our oh-so normal protagonist Meg Murry. She dotes on her little brother Charles Wallace quite a bit, but when he suddenly makes an announcement one day that there are dragons in the garden she's reasonably confused. Meg's had a lot on her mind lately too. There's the fact that Charles has been getting beaten up regularly at school and he's been strangely ill as well. As it turns out, Charles Wallace's condition is cause for concern on a particularly cosmic scale. Before she knows it, Meg has joined forces with a cherubim (a particularly Revelation-like creature made of all eyes and wings), a snake, a man from another world, her beloved boyfriend Calvin, and (most strangely) her former elementary school principal Mr. Jenkins. Together, this motley crew must do battle in the cells of Charles Wallace's very mitochondria, fighting against the evil Echthroi (a kind of fallen angels).

What I've always liked about Madeleine L'Engle's Christian infused tales is that they don't bop you over the head with didacticism. I mean, compare this book with (oh, say) C.S. Lewis's "The Last Battle". In both cases adept writers have conjured up magical worlds and creatures for young readers. Yet while Lewis ends up sending kids messages like "use make-up and you won't get into heaven" (paraphrased but definitely a message in the final Narnia tale), L'Engle sends the message "love is the saving grace". Which would you rather read? Better yet, which would you prefer for your children?

I did find it a little odd that Meg was continually astounded by fantastical events in this tale. I mean, doesn't she remember the oddities that occurred to her in "A Wrinkle In Time"? After you've faced down a gigantic evil pulsating brain, I'd think ANYTHING would strike you as possible. Still, this is a great book to introduce to those readers who never got around to "A Wrinkle". It doesn't really require any explanation or backstory. I also particularly enjoyed the science introduced in this book. If you've a kid that loves science but is also into fantasy, this book is a perfect match. From it I've just learned that mitochondria have their own DNA. Who knew? L'Engle. That's who.

Looking back on it, when I was a kid I tended to skim through books that bored me, and this tale certainly fit the bill. Still, reading it again today I think that if I'd just stuck with it, I could have really enjoyed it. And I truly believe that some kids reading it today will love it through and through. I mean, in what other tale are you going to come to the undeniable conclusion that partying is in our genes? If you'd like a good book with a strong (but human and flawed) female protagonist that I think almost every kid can identify with, this book's for you. Keep it close to your heart at all times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saving a Life, January 22, 2000
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
I read the book, "A Wind in the Door". This book may be confusing for those who have not read the previous book, "A Wrinkle in Time"; although, the author added some reference as to what went on in "A Wrinkle in Time" and included much detail to insure I knew what was going on. I loved this book because it left me wondering what is, or can be, possible. It could bring the imagination back to people who have lost theirs. This book brings you out of your own world, to one much smaller. A world where time and size do not matter. One in which the only way to see, is through your own mind, and the only way to talk to others - they may be many miles away - is by talking through your mind. Because this is the sequel of "A Wrinkle in Time", it involves some of the same characters and adds several more. The main characters of "A Wrinkle in Time" - Meg, Charels Wallace, and Calvin - have had adventures that have brought them onto different planets and out of this universe, but never have they had such an adventure as this. Nor did they think of ever having one like this taking place on their own planet! However, there is a "drive of dragons" or a cherubim who, with his teacher, Blajeny, must come from a different planet to help the sick child, Charles Wallace. I highly recommend this book for anyone, between the ages of 8-15, who enjoys science fiction books and loves books that you "just can't put down".

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been changed., February 15, 2001
Having completed the first two books in L'Engle's TIME QUARTET, I must confess both books have kept me consistentaly amazed. Hopefully, she will be able to sustain this through the other three books (still don't understand why its not the TIME QUINTET, other than the logic I gave in my review of A WRINKLE IN TIME, but that's neither here nor there, which, also, describes my feelings of the new paperback illustrations. The ones that have a centaur on the cover of WRINKLE are much better than the current paperback illustrations. They are terrible, and for me totally go against the feelings I get from reading the book. But this is a very subjective experience -- as my review will tell you of my reading of L'Engle). When C. S. Lewis spoke of recieving stabs of joy and glimpses of some other realm beyond when he read Norse mythology, I can adequately say the same has happened to me upon these readings. This is the making of Myth, tempered with science fiction elements, at its finest for the contemporary scene of literature. Both books take you on a fascinating journey, and while I do prefer the first over the second, that does not mean the second is inferiour.
A WIND IN THE DOOR, although labeled Children's Fiction, should be read by both children and adults. The conflict arises when Charles Wallace sees a drove of dragons by the twins' garden. Of course its not dragons, but it is indeed something. Whereas TIME did experiments on the theme of time, WIND goes the other way and instead concentrates on Size. Of course, the central character again is Meg, with the help of Calvin and Mr. Jenkins and two other characters, Proginoskes and Sporos. Who are the last two? Read and find out -- but both will take your imaginiation where its never been before.
The themes of love again arises in this, but with a unique spin of "Naming". The villians this time around, although they were present in the previous volume just without a name, are the Ecthroi (or Ecthros, singular). They take the theme of nothingness (which shows up in LORD OF THE RINGS) and how they want to destroy creation. God created all of this universe and this creation for specific reasons, and we all have elements and things we are to experience and encounter of the universe, the Creation, are not according to God's order. This is a very dominant theme in this work.
I really don't know how to describe the effect this book has had on me. Its like my imagination has been dipped in a brand new element of MYTH. C. S. Lewis spoke of such an effect when he read George MacDonald's PHANTASES, and while I am not comparing these books to MacDonald, the effect is somewhat similar. My mind goes into this, just shattered and put back together by the sheer beauty that goes in here. The modernists are right -- language is to inadequate to describe the effect these two books have had on me (read WINESBURG, OHIO by Sherwood Anderson to get the full gest of what I'm saying). Its books like these that make me wish things like this happened in my sphere of existence. Its books like this and Narnia and Earthsea that make me wonder why they can't happen to me. Don't get me wrong when I say this, but this has something that the other two I just Named do not. I love Narnia dearly, but L'Engle satisfies something in my psyche that I have not encountered in Narnia or anywhere else for that matter. Don't think I'm saying she's better than Lewis, because that's not what I'm saying. Narnia has things that this does not also. Its just there are things that are very unique to L'Engle that I have never encountered in a writer before. Its like I've been emersed into a world of myth. Again, while not comparing the two in content or in quality, I get this same longing, this same feeling when I read THE HOBBIT. There's a beauty there that strikes me to the core. But L'Engle is as different from Tolkien as she is from Lewis. All three have something to offer (and Peake does as well, who wrote GORMENGHAST) which give me that same longing and that same sense of joy and beauty, but they get this out of me from wildly different techniques. You probably don't understand what I'm trying to say. If I could kythe with you, then you would be able to understand. But that's alright. I know one thing.
I've been changed.
Mike London

5.0 out of 5 stars A journy in time and space, a quest to save the world., April 15, 2001
A Kid's Review
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
To be Xed means to be nothing. To be named means that you are. For you to be Xed, which you should not desire, you are unsure if who you really are, making yourself vulnerable enough to be shattered by the Echtroi, the evil forces that destroy. In A Wind in the Door, Meg Murry has gone through both. She is a namer and has named Mr. Jenkins, her shy yet strict principal of the high school she attends. She was almost Xed by the Echtroi-Jenkins, and was named by the cherubim companion, Proginoskes.
Meg Murry was accompanied by more then the cherubim and Mr. Jenkins. Her youngest brother Charles Wallace, a young boy with the explicable gift of being able to read his mother's and sister's mind, develops a lethal disease. He and his mother, a noted biochemist, believe that it is his mitochondria, which is `the production center for the molecules (farandolae) that supply energy for the cell.' As Meg and Charles Wallace walk through the twins, their other two brothers Sandy and Dennys, vegetable garden Charles Wallace tells Meg that he has seen a drive of dragons. At first Meg does not believe him, but when she comes upon the teacher Blajeny she realizes that Charles Wallace, in a sense, was not wrong. His alleged drive of dragons was actually the cherubim Proginoskes, a single creature who looks like a group of many cherubs.
And of course, Calvin O'Keefe, Meg's `good' (hm . . . more then good) friend from their and Charles Wallace's previous quests, naturally joins the expedition. Blajeny the teacher pair Proginoskes and Meg, and together they must complete three tasks to save Charles.
As Charles fights to survive, Meg, Calvin and Proginoskes are shrunk down to size so much that they journey inside one of Charles' mitochondria. It is then that Calvin meets his partner Sporos, a fickle farandolae that refuses to work with Calvin and Deepen. For Sporos, deepening means the end of his fun, but in reality (the reality of the book) for him to deepen means that Deepened Sporos will reproduce more farandolae so the cell (which is where the mitochondria is located) will be able to produce more energy.
Soon they, Meg, Proginoskes, Calvin, and Mr. Jenkins, the principal that Meg had earlier named, realize that an Echtroi has come into the mitochondria with them. The Echtroi had taken on Mr. Jenknins body - like they had in previous perils of the book - and are attempting to prevent Sporos and the other farandolae from deepening. The real Mr. Jenkins gives himself up to force Sporos to deepen. Sporos then realizes how important it is for him to deepen and he obeys. As her third task (for the other two were to name Mr. Jenkins and help or force Sporos to Deepen) Meg was to save Mr. Jenkins from the Ecthroi and luckily she succeeds.
In completing their task's, Meg, Proginoskes, Mr. Jenkins and Calvin return to their world and are rewarded with the fact that they had saved Charles Wallace. Hey, its just another day in the lives of the Murry family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere between 'Fantastic Voyage' and 'Hair', November 9, 2007
Brett Benner (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I guess I enjoyed this. I think. I really enjoyed, "A Wrinkle In Time' and was excited about getting back to Meg, Calvin, and Charles. But this definitely echoed my previous sentiments, and actually magnified them, that these books feel so post Woodstock psychedlic fantasy trip. This time Meg and Calvin enter an alternative cosmos and actually attempt to save Charles life by going inside him with the help of some new friends, A passage involving Meg reads, "She was being consumed by flame. She sensed a violent jolt to the cosmic rhythm, a distortion of wild disharmony-"An example like this makes me wonder how the intended young adult reader is grasping , this and it's deep concepts. I'm sure part of the success of the book(s) are that they work on many levels for both adults young and old, I just found this a bit esoteric even for hard core fantasy fans, let alone young people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sequel to A Wrinkle in Time with Charles-Wallace and Meg, March 23, 2001
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
This book is the sequel to A Wrinkle in Time. Charles-Wallace is very ill. His mother, Dr. Murray is a noted biochemist and is desperately trying to research a new, mysterious disease and Charles-Wallace may have it.
When Charles-Wallace announces "There are dragons in your vegetable garden" this is the start of a great adventure that is connected to Dr. Murray's research, Charles-Wallace's illness and of course, much more.
This is a good tale about rebellion and the maturation process, and about the seductive powers of Evil. As usual, L'Engle mergers moral subjects into pure fantasy with her skilled writing and wonderful characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars get the Hardcover version..., October 9, 2000
By A Customer
As a kid, I read this book over and over again. Madeline L'Engle writes an intricate story (no need to read the previous book Wrinkle, to understand what's going on... though it is highly reccomended!). If I had to disect this book in one of my Lit. classes, I would find ample material to write essays on symbolism, ideologies, 3-D characters, description techniques, the "typical" good vs. evil struggle in the plot, and many other things. Test me on this book, and I would get an A (I know it that well). But the overreaching factor that makes this a must for all people seeking to have a good personal library is that the story -- "one of the good ones" of children's literature, is captivating to both children and adults on many levels. It continues the story of Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, as well as Calvin O'Keefe (characters that Wrinkle readers know and love). This time, readers meet Blajeny and "a singular cherubim" (what a concept! This book was my first introduction to cherubim and for the longest time I did not understand that 'cherub' as we generally think of the word, had any connection to 'cherubim' as I knew them (or one of them) in this book.) This book introduces many concepts that are good for all of us to understand -- two out of many that I have carried with me throughout my life are such: one, size doesn't matter in the grand scheme of how important you are; two, everyone (and everything!) needs to be 'named' -- or known -- to exist. Perhaps these 2 things don't seem very remarkable; I only realized how remarkable they were when I came up against the opposite conceptions in people I met in "the real world". L'Engle presents many things to be learned -- in fact some of the sanest perceptions I have of the world -- the things that have helped me get through tough times -- are voiced so well in this story that you'd never know (until you reflected) that they were there. But in spite of all this, L'Engle's story is interesting enough to be read over and over, and that is the real reason why you should read this book. So much so that you'd be best advised to buy a hardback copy -- even if you're not the type who reads books more than once, you'll definitly want to lend this to other people. The hardback will last longer! My only negative comment is on the particular hardback edition amazon shows. The picture on the cover is not to my liking (though i like the paperback pictures even less). To me it gives the impression that this is a dark book, perhaps a story of mysteries and vauge and scary things. Far from it. Yes, the story deals with potentially frightening things, and it deals in mysteries (not the nancy drew kind but the hard-to understand complexities and paradoxes of life) but it also has a good grounding in sanity and goodness and light; which, after all things are said and done, triumphs over annihilation. This is not a dark, scary book. To the illustrator... try again. To the story -- one of my highest commendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Book, January 23, 2000
This review is from: A Wind in the Door (Paperback)
This book was definitely one of L'Engle's best books. She combines fantasy and science fiction beautifully, and the result is a real page-turner. I read this book within two days, and the plot kept me excited and enthralled. The plot is complex, so some people may have a hard time following it. However, if you are a good reader and you enjoy fantasy and/or science fiction novels, you should definitely check this book out.