Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wind 'N' Go 2-Way Dynamo Radios
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Price:$50.00+ $6.99 shipping

on February 13, 2012
Crank radio...ideal for a power outage. Exactly why I purchased 2 sets. Allow me to contextualize my findings in a little background. Having served several years in the military, I now serve as the incident commander for emergency response in my neighborhood. Recently, we have endured several days and in some cases over a week without power in our region. Without investing in generators, I am always looking to find alternative lighting and communication sources.

In the first couple of days testing these units I have found the following:

1. One radio in set A has an free object that rattles quite annoyingly, as though something came loose internally. It works however.
2. One radio in set B will not accept a charge. I have plugged it in for hours and cranked it; however, it will only operate when it is plugged in. As soon as the power is unplugged, so is the radio.
3. They list a cell phone charger; however, upon inspection of the instructions, I have to purchase an adapter to accommodate this.
4. I got about a mile distance in an obstructed suburban area before losing signal with the other radios.
5. I notice that no matter the distance, 10ft or 10 yards, it does not provide a clean signal and sounds as though both parties are speaking through a muffled can. The distortion and noise amplifies the further apart the units are from each other.

While you do get what you pay for...in hindsight, I would pay no more than $20 per set as a $20 gamble is a small loss. Short term, I think the three remaining working radios will suffice. However, I will replace them as soon as I find another more viable and reliable option.

***UPDATE***
It has been about two weeks since they have arrived. One didn't work to begin with as it would not accept a charge period. The other three charged via AC; however, after being stored in the off position for two days, they were completely dead. The instructions admit that one should not allow them to drain completely as it would require considerable cranking just to achieve low power. I have three 2-way radios that now require power to remain charged and have a store life of a maximum 48 hours. Extremely high maintenance and not worth $10. Knowing what I know now, I would not pay a dime for them. Having read the other reviews, I decided to take a chance...I wonder how they have fared as they have not updated their review?
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012
You get what you pay for and these are a prime example of that. I rated them 3 stars because these are an average all around radio, for what I use them for they are actually 5 stars due to the fact they are the only radios I found that you can hand crank for power. So that is where we will start.

Battery Power: Battery life on these suck after just 3 days of sitting on my counter after being plugged in and fully charged I picked one up and it was flashing it needed to be charged. charging time on these are like any other rechargable radio when plugged in. When you hand crank it it says you get 1:1 1 min of charging for 1 min of talk, that does not sound like much but you can charge while it is on. Listening will not run the battery down as fast as talking. The manual also states you should not crank charge them from fully dead. Have not tried this yet as they never went fully dead. The battery is built in. It also has a flash light that is very bright on it.

Distance: They state 1-3 miles city 10 miles open water/land. I live in a city near mountains and I get 1-3. Furthest I've gotten is about 2 miles no real power lines in the way a lot of buildings both radios outside barely audible signal, but usable. These are not your go anywhere end of the world comms radios, these would make some nice hunting/backpacking radios for when you and your party have a good plan of not going to far from each other.

Compatibility: I have many other GRMS/FRS radios, to include cobra, motorolla and the Midland hand crank emergency base station. It will talk to all newer radios just find. Some older models differ between frequencies on channels and sub channels none of mine ran into that problem on the channels I used.

Build: My 1 year old grabbed one of these and threw it from about my head height onto concrete and the handle "popped" off the crank and snaped right back on. The handle is cheap but the dynamo is well build and you can easily snap the handle on and off. They are easy to crank for a righty or lefty, my 8 year old is a lefty and had no problems just had to learn the right direction to turn, they do not work both ways.

Menu/Display: The menu and the display area pain in the butt to learn but once you understand it it's simple, it's just different from every other radio out there. the instructions are simple written and well describe these radios.

I would suggest shelling out the extra money and getting the charging station with flash light you can mount on the wall. Overall I got exactly what I paid for and I am more than happy with this product. If you're looking for a damn good radio this is not it, if you are looking for an emergency I might not be able to get batteries or power to charge these and I'm not going that far or I need close comms with rescuers, etc... This is for you.

Pros: It's a hand crank radio... Durable. Compatable with other radios, has wall charger or hand crank, easy to read display, hard fixed antenna, not flimsy. Good instructions, bright LED flash light built in.

Cons: Battery life is not that great, distance is not that great, have to read instructions to fully operate radio(it's not like other radios), no headphone or mic jacks for headsetts. Internal batteries(preference more than con)

Bottom line, like the title sais you get what you pay for and this to me is worth what I paid for.
on June 16, 2015
I took a big chance on these, they have a lot of bad reviews, so I was expecting them to be half broken when they got here. They did not, I skimmed the manual, which is a decent size not some small square piece of paper. They came in their own plastic case as if they were being sold at a store. I opened it and charged them, they charged fully in about an hour I don't know why the manual said it would take 7 hours. These are the best (and only) to get. I took a chance because they're the only hand crank radios I know of. They're pretty good.

Comparing my review to the 1 and 2 star reviews

No, it wasn't broken in any way, they came in a seal that would require you to cut into it before being able to take them out and use it.

I agree on the clarity issue, I have not tried them out from a mile away but from a foot away it has some static, you can definitely still hear words that are being said.

Hand crank works, in fact it did nicely! The second I started cranking was the second it started charging.

Further review
I don't think it's in the description but there was a flashlight on the top of it, nothing fancy, it was just a handy thing. Speaking of hands, it fits to the size of your hand, its kind of small.
There's also a belt clip, you can't make it so that its vertical to your body, if you have the belt clip horizontally, though, then you can. There's also a quick detach that's kind of cheap, but hey its better than working hard to take it off and hand crank, because it does sit in the way of it.

I will include a picture of the manual and radios, along with a follow-up review once I get some distance, if you are looking for a hand crank radio. Grab this one. It's the only one I found, hope I helped.
review image review image review image
on October 25, 2012
Thinking that a windup 2-way radio set would be good, I bought these from Amazon. When they came I went over the instructions because I am NOT impressed with the quality or performance. The plastic is cheap looking. The sound is not crisp. The main issue is with the batteries.

The batteries are self-contained and appear not to be removeable, so you are stuck with them or take apart and try to find the size they use..... I charged them. In two days they were dead. I charged them again and then left the LED flashlights on. The batteries took the charge and the flashlight was still going 7hrs. I charged them again, thinking that they should now take a full charge. A week later I went to use them and both sets were "Dead as a Doornail".

They say in the instructions not to charge the batteries with the crank if the batteries are dead.... So, I've passed the 30 day return policy for a full refund by 4 days, and not sure how the return policy would work... The only thing ever bought from Amazon that I had to return was due to shipping damage. This is a first due to quality of the item itself.

DON'T waste your money or time in messing with these...they are not worth the trouble.
on August 31, 2014
These are nice little backpack radios that you can hand crank for power. I don't get a lot of distance on them I've gotten 2 miles max in the city with minimal power lines or obstructions. Haven't had a chance to get them in the open yet, it states 1-3 city 10 miles open water. The battery life on these sucks and you get 1:1 time cranking to time receiving, transmitting cuts that down drastically. they are not bad little radios for what they do and they are very compatible with the Midland hand crank base radio and cobra's, motorollas and some el cheapo no name brand I have. They have internal batteries, which I don't like. They do not have a jack for mic or headphones. and they are complicated to learn at first as the menus are very different, but once you understand them, which they are clearly described in the instructions, they are actually easy to use. i like them for the fact I can hand crank them to charge them and my 8 year old lefty daughter has no issues cranking them up either so they are kid and lefty friendly. It also has a very bright LED flash light built in.
on January 31, 2013
You're better off just buying regular radios and a pack of AA batteries. Won't hold charge, will barely charge when using crank, and not enough to talk, just to work the light.
on June 26, 2011
These radios worked well. I mainly bought them to use in an emergency situation when normal power sources are not available.
Having the flashlight on there is a nice added feature. It is good to have the plug in charger as well if you want them for day to day use.
on January 1, 2014
In the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, the range of these radios, previously tested by myself at about 1.5 miles in my suburban beachfront neighborhood, was reduced to roughly 800 feet (less than a quarter mile, an admitted guess, between my partner's and my locations on re-establishing contact). Admittedly, this could have been caused by the metal of the sheer number of dumpsters positioned in the streets to take building debris, as recovery and repair operations commenced.
However, one of the set developed problems with the built in dynamo charger. I think the gears of the dynamo stripped, so I can only charge up that half of the 2 "handi-talkie" set with the "shore line" charger and cord.
I now have to determine if the cost of repair is economically better than the cost of replacement.
Over all, these radios are probably good for keeping in touch at a picnic/playground area, but not for extended short range emergency communications needs, which is why I initially purchased them.
on February 17, 2014
We got this for emergency "Go-pack". We played with it and works great.
First we could not figure out how to set up to talk, so I called customer service. They were so nice and professional. Tech department guy called me back to make sure all is well few days later too.

Good service, works great and give us peace of mind.
on October 24, 2011
These are great for power outages and when you dont have batteries, they will come in handy. You must make sure you have them charged complete first or else you will be winding them for hours. Glad I bought them tho.

See 1 answered question