Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WindChaser PACRWC 12,000 BTU Remote Controlled Portable Air Conditioner
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 29, 2008
We purchased this unit last year to help cool down our study room. The room is about 13' by 13', and can get really hot during summer - especially when all three computers in it are turned on. We use the unit only for cooling purpose, and this is the second summer we will be using it. I would say the biggest disappointment with the unit is the painful condensation removal.

Pros:
1. It is built with multiple functions - cooling, heating, ionizing, and dehumidifying. The control panel is fancy with lots of LED lights for indicating the operating status.

2. It reduces humidity quickly in cooling or dehumidifying mode. We live in New Jersey where the humidity is what makes the heat unbearable sometimes. The unit reduces the humidity level much faster than other dehumidifiers I have. You start feeling comfortable when the humidity level reduces, even though the temperature may not drop as fast.

Cons:
1. The condensation removal is a pain in the neck. The unit is advertised to be able to evaporize the condensation through the exhaust pipes. Unfortunately, we live in the area where this capability is inefficient - if it's ever working. The condensation tank gets filled up quickly. The drain outlet is on the back, and is too close to the ground to allow easy water removal. It is even impossible to install a condensation pump with such a low drain outlet. I ended up putting four bricks under the unit and attaching a vinyl tube to allow water draining from front. Fortunately, the unit still runs smoothly even when it stands on those bricks - it does not vibrate or make extra noise. I probably will add a condensation pump later so the unit can run continuously without interruption when the tank is full.

2. The cooling power is not impressive. I would expect it to cool the room much faster with the 12,000 BTU rating. In our case, the room temperature barely drops 1 degree (F) after more than half an hour of operating. Fortunately, the reduced humidity level makes you feel better even though the temperature is still high.
on May 6, 2010
The unit does not have the potency of a typical 12,000 BTU unit. Does not cool a 400 sq feet room- not even a little. It is very rudimentary. The hoses don't fit into the unit or into the window panels, they keep coming loose. AND, although they say there are no buckets to empty, that's incorrect. There's a "condensation" tank that fills up every 3 hours and needs to be emptied out through a tiny and very hard to access hole all the way at the bottom of the unit. On a humid day it fills up every 2 hours or less. This is the first time I've been compelled to write a review, because this appliance should not be on the market.
on July 5, 2007
I just got this unit 4 days ago for my home office. The dual exhaust tubes are huge - looks like 6" diameter... not very attractive going from unit to window. My office is 12x13 so I assumed a 1200 BTU would cool it down fast. Wrong. It will cool the room but so far I have not been able to get room temp under 76 degrees... room is comfortable but if it can not cool a small room to 72 forget a large room. Noise level is loud but bearable. I can still talk on phone without distraction. Manual is terrible. Does not explain what each function does. I never understand why a company can not write a good manual. Ion? Auto? and the symbols on unit are not intuitive. I couldn't figure out window adjusters - so I have a 4" space on my casement window I need to block off. I will probably return and get a window unit.
on August 19, 2007
Not sure what's wrong with R. Richardson's unit, but mine works like a charm. We have a 16' x 20' with cathedral ceiling bedroom that we use this in. I previously had a single hose unit and was intrigued by the dual hose design. It definitely cools A LOT faster than my old single hose design. The tubes are an eye-sore, but hey, they're better than a permanent window unit...in my opinion. So far, I have only used the air conditioner, so I cannot comment on how well the heater works. However, the AC unit has NO problem cooling our large room down to a nice 63 degrees. It'll even go to 61, but that's too cool even for us.

My advice to R. Richardson...you either have installed it wrong or have a bum unit. Either way, your experience is probably atypical.
on August 7, 2009
Couldn't agree more. The condensation removal issue makes this unit pretty much unusable in even moderately humid conditions. WindChaser is in CA and I am just not sure that they ever tested this AC in normal operating conditions elsewhere in the country. I have created a similar contraption as Wind Walker that has the unit resting on an icebox with a hose leading to a bucket. Unfortunately, the bucket I have hold the equivalent amount of water as 5-6 hours of operation which means getting up in the middle of the night to empty it (not their fault).

One more note about the controls and display - they are worthless. The LCD light are always on (no way to turn them off) which makes using the ac in the bedroom only possible after covering the panel with tape. The controls are unintuitive: there are 3 or 4 speed settings for the fan and it's a complete guessing game which setting you are on. I have to cycle through all of them at least twice before I know which setting I have selected. The icon for the fan spins slightly faster with each setting but it's almost impossible to tell.
The temperature wheel in the center broke after a few weeks so I am left with the remote to adjust the temperature one degree at a time.

Bottom line: the product could be good but it falls short in too many ways.
on November 29, 2010
We ordered this machine for our basement. It is 1,200 square feet & it is split down the middle & it has no vents. It can get very cold down here in the winter. We have a radiant heater that we have used for 2 yrs, but it isn't enough on it's own. This is working great. It heats up in no time & does a great job. We haven't used it to cool yet. Yes, it is kinda ugly & sorta loud, but the benefits outweigh the negatives for us. The noise it gives off is not obnoxious; it's more like white noise & I really don't mind it. We are quite pleased w/ this unit & would recommend it.
on June 10, 2011
When we ordered this unit, I was skeptical because it was a refurbished item. I have had several bad experiences with refurbished merchandise, but I honestly can say that I have no qualms about this purchase! It looks like new, and it runs beautifully. The delivery was great, they had no problems working around our schedule and it was on time. Overall, I would rate this unit as an excellent buy for and excellent deal, and the seller rates 5 stars in my book. Thank you!
on September 29, 2010
You get what you pay for. There are many reasons this unit is several hundred dollars cheaper than comparable products. First the controls are almost as confusing as the manual. The temp dial feels like it is one turn away from breaking. The front readout should show the current room temp instead all I have seen is E1, E3, or 99 when the room is in the 70s. The error messages are because the unit is constantly full of water or the condenser is frozen over. I use this unit in an 8x10ft room with high temp around 85 degrees and only need to cool down to 75. It actually does an effective job of cooling for a few hours till the unit freezes up or the supposed automatic drain through vent fills up the reservoir.
on December 8, 2012
The product was received on time and works great. i would recommend this product and seller and would use in the future. I found exactly what i was looking for - a little boost.
on April 20, 2009
We have had our machine for over 5 years now.
It works realy good. In the summer it cools our bedroom from
a hot 85 degrees to under 65 degrees in half a hour.

In winter our room has gone from 56 degrees to 85 degrees in almost
1 hour. The hoses for it attach easily and remove from the window easily.
Our cat likes to jump on it which makes it turn on and off when we want
it to be on or off. So the remote helps get it back on or off.

All in all we like it a LOT.