5.0 out of 5 stars An Oregon Umbrella
Published 17 months ago by The Pacific Northwesters

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long
Published 24 months ago by Laura Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oregon Umbrella, November 2, 2012
This review is from: WindJammer by ShedRain 2044A 58-Inch Arc Vented Auto Open Jumbo Umbrella (Sports)
I just purchased two more Shedrain Windjammers, and that will bring my total to five -- including the one that I sent back under the lifetime warranty (and received a replacement). I live in Oregon, and it rains here -- a lot. I spend a lot of time walking from building to building on campus, and I need a serious umbrella that can handle LOTS of rain and wind. These can do just that.

On the plus side, they have a large canopy which you can share with someone else if needed, a manageable size when closed, and they really do handle wind gusts fairly well.

On the negative side, they are not windproof, but in fairness, there's really no such thing. I've had two of them blow out in serious wind gusts, and when that happens it snaps the nylon threads that attach the canopy to the ribs. The umbrella will still work fine after you revert it, but that's when you need to send it back to Shedrain. I've done it, and they are great about replacing it.

Also, because it's larger even when closed, it's easy to get the upper canopy ribs (there are two canopies) caught in your computer bag or whatever if you put it in a tote or bag (without its sheath) and pull it out -- you can pull one of the canopy suports and break it, etc. This can cause it to sag when open or to fail to close properly for stowing (and if you put it in the sheath, that loose rib can get hung up when you're trying to take it out, making things worse). Anyway, just send it back and get it fixed/replaced.

None of those possibilities should prevent you from buying this umbrella. Take it from an Oregonian. Believe me, we know rain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge classy umbrella with a nice handle, December 30, 2011
If you don't like to get wet, this is the umbrella for you. It is huge and deep, with the wind slots to keep it from being yanked out of your hand. The nice looking handle even has a leather strap for your wrist. As a Jets fan, the color could not be any better too. The only negative if your extremely picky would be it does not compact small like a tote umbrella, that's because it is twice as big and nice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long, April 29, 2012
I'm on Amazon today to find a better umbrella to replace this one. I bought this because I had lost four or five cheap, mini umbrellas while walking to school in the rain when they got turned inside out by the wind. I had hoped that with the vents, this one would fare a bit better. I've had it for about 4 months, and already two of the supports have snapped, and are beyond repair. While technically, the umbrella still functions, the side with the broken supports sags giving me a semi-circle of coverage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for an umbrella, April 26, 2012
Catmeds (Williamsburg, VA) - See all my reviews
Received it today and immediately ordered another one for my husband to keep in the car (and for me to steal if I lose this one). Be careful when you first open it because it's sudden and BIG. Luckily I won't be in any tight spaces when I need to use it and it's perfect since I have to stand outside a lot in the evening to answer questions, take tickets and guide people regardless of weather. I didn't think I would be so happy over an umbrella purchase but for the price it's a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great large umbrella, April 11, 2012
Even when the wind whistles this vented umbrella works great. It is even large enough for my big King Size Hubby to use getting out of the car without getting wet. The auto open is a must. Great buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke by wind on 3rd Use, February 19, 2013
Honestly, the first two times I used this product no problem. I like the look of it, the spring mechanism, the size. However, on the third use, a bit of wind blew it inside out and then back proper, but one of the support poles had bent to the point of breaking. This happened two more times immediately, snapping new/different support poles in the next 30 seconds. I did not enjoy walking to work that morning. Additionally, I angrily threw out my umbrella half way to work, as I wasn't going to walk in the rain with an awkward, mangled umbrella in tow; it appears this decision will prevent me from getting a refund/exchange according to ShedRain's return policy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete disappointment, March 12, 2013
I was completely misted the first time I used this umbrella. It was in light rain conditions and my head, face and coat had a light layer of water. I gave it a few more tries before I blasted it in a review. Today was the last straw as I was soaked in a heavy and windy rainstorm. This umbrella does not keep you dry. This umbrella does not hold up against the wind. So basically it's purely useless as an umbrella. I don't know if it's the material, the design or the production which makes it such a poor umbrella. Perhaps it's a combination of all three. Maybe I got a lemon. Whatever the issues are, I feel ripped off. I bought a golf size umbrella from Ikea for $5 six years ago. It recently met its demise so umbrellas can fail. But at least that umbrella did its job for six years. This umbrella hasn't managed to do anything an umbrella is supposed to do since day one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This umbrella went through a hurricane, January 9, 2013
It was exactly the right size for travel, and, I used it during Hurricane Sandy. Too bad I lost it. I'm re-ordering, but, I understand that some people had difficulty with this umbrella, but, it worked perfectly for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ribs are not all metal, September 25, 2013
Had this umbrella for less than a year. Used rarely, carried in back of car. One of the outermost ribs broke at hinge. The outermost ribs are not metal, but fiberglass or some material other than metal. Will not buy this brand again.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like Mary Poppins, March 20, 2013
I hate this umbrella. I purchased it because it is supposedly made in Oregon for Oregonians. Being one... I was pretty excited about this. First time out, it blew inside-out 4 times and carried me along with it. Tried it again this morning, same thing. If there is any wind at all, you will be wet and dragged along. The good news is, apparently it can blow inside-out 5 or 6 times and still close well.

ARRAY(0xa777ff48)