Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 29, 2004
I've been a CPA for nearly 20 years and I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer from Newton. I found the book to be accurate and insightful and precisely the kind of advice I would offer to my clients. Ms. Brill has injected real-world, practical information that I believe is useful and would help anyone put in the enviable position of having "found money".
As for the one negative review, I can't help but think that he/she has an axe to grind, or perhaps a competing book. ;-)
on October 11, 2001
I've followed Marla Brill's work in the Boston Globe and Mutual Funds Magazine for quite awhile and was excited when I came across her new book on handling unexpected money. I was concerned at first that the book might be more of a fluff piece (dwelling on the excitement of receiving a windfall), but was happy to find that the book was a serious "how to" manual for dealing with the opportunities and pitfalls of sudden wealth.
I'm convinced that Windfall is a valuable guide not only for those encountering unexpected money, but to all of us who want to do the right thing with that extra cash we've managed to acquire. Her writing is clear and interesting. I strongly recommend this book for financial novices and experts alike.
This is apparently Marla Brill's first book. It's a solid effort, and I'm looking forward to reading her next offering.
on October 19, 2001
I wish I could say that I had a windfall sitting in my bank account, waiting for me to invest it, but I don't. I bought this book with the idea that it might help me if I ever came into a large sum of money, and also just to get a better idea as to how to handle money generally. I wasn't disappointed - Brill clearly knows her stuff, and she writes in a very "consumer-friendly" style. I found her advice to be straightforward and helpful and something that was reachable by someone like myself who does not have an MBA, or even a good understanding of investment options.
I'll definitely keep Windfall in my library and look back to it as a handy reference. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
on October 14, 2001
A few months ago I received an inheritance of several hundred thousand dollars. It was a confusing time, made all the more trying by the conflicting (and sometimes self-serving) advice I received from friends, relatives,and advisors about how to handle the money. Ms. Brill's book helped me by addressing not only the financial aspects of the inheritance, but the emotional conflicts that come into play as well. I highly recommend it.
on April 30, 2002
I was a bit leery about buying a book on handling money, as I admit I don't handle money very well and I'm not very open to learning the details of money management. But I was really surprised - pleasantly - to find this book. Ms. Brill writes in a way that doesn't patronize the reader with trying to get too simple, but she does get her points across in a very approachable way.
I found Windfall to be extremely interesting and useful and have recommended it to friends and relatives. I've looked at a lot of other books on managing money (windfalls or otherwise) and this is by far the best written of the bunch. It ought to be required reading for any lottery winner or someone who receives an inheritance, and it's worthwhile for the rest of us too.
on March 17, 2014
She seems to just skim topics and the ways one can become suddenly come into wealth. If you are suddenly rich, I would think a better primer could be written to steer the person in the right direction. For instance what professional are needed and who to seek out first.
on October 17, 2003
This book was poorly written, confused and in some places just plain wrong. As a CPA I know tax code and I know investing. This book sends all the wrong messages about what money is and what money can do.
on March 10, 2015
It gave me great ideas todo with my lottery winnings. Thank you very much.