5.0 out of 5 stars Also works well to alert you when your child opens a door
Published on October 16, 2012 by WryGuy2

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy your own adhesive
Published 18 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Also works well to alert you when your child opens a door, October 16, 2012
WryGuy2 (Out On Life's Journey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Door/Window Entry Alarm with Magnetic Sensor, Pack of 2 (Tools & Home Improvement)
This product, the "Door/Window Entry Alarm with Magnetic Sensor, Pack of 2" is touted as being inexpensive alarms to "detect entry protecting home or office". While that's true, that's not why I use these; as noted above, we've found these very useful for letting us know when our little ones try to leave the house. My wife and I were originally given a few sets of "First Alarm" magnetic sensors as a baby gift. At about age 2-3, our children could reach the locks on our doors and could open the doors by themselves, not a good thing when you're trying to keep them safe. As we discovered, if you mount the sensors at about chin level, the children can't reach the alarm, so you can hear if they're trying to go outside to play without you. After several years, our "First Alarm" sensors wore out, and I found that I could no longer purchase them. However, these sensors are literally identical in every way, except they don't have a "First Alarm" sticker on them. (I suspect they are the same, just not branded as a "First Alarm" product anymore.) Below are my thoughts on these alarms.

The alarm consists of two parts ... the sensor part, which has three settings (alarm, off, and chime), and a magnet part. Both have sticky tape on back, which you use to secure the two parts onto your door or window. The sticky tape is very sticky and will stay on your door/window for a long time (well over a year), although not forever. When mounting the two parts, you need to ensure that both parts are side-by-side, and that the gap between them is around 1/8th of an inch or so. Each sensor comes with three button batteries (all are needed), and they also last a long time, assuming moderate daily use. While you can replace the batteries, it's almost as cheap to buy a new unit. In my experience, the batteries and the sticky stuff on the back usually wear out at roughly the same time.

When set to "chime", the sensor basically gives one two-tone ring, and serves to let you know your door has been opened. The "alarm" setting rings continuously until either the door/window is shut, or you change the setting to "off". The product description claims that at 3 feet distance, the alarm is 90 decibels loud, which "sounds" about right. Heh heh. If you want to use these as a poor-man's alarm system, depending on the size and layout of your house, they should be loud enough to quickly wake you up from an upstairs bedroom, but may not if you're a heavy sleeper.

Overall, these would work well as a poor man's alarm system to let you know if someone is entering your house, but they work even better to let you know when a child is trying to go out. Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great security system for cheap!, June 4, 2013
I live alone in downtown Kansas City and often feel scared. I bought this alarm system and originally planned on setting it on the "chime" setting so every single time the door opened it would chime. Well the chime is way TOO loud for that. I would feel bad for my neighbors. The chime setting would be great if you owned a store or larger home, but for me and my small apartment the chime was just too much. The alarm on the other hand is great. I set it by flipping the switch every time I am in my apartment alone along with locking the door of course. My apartment is around 1,100 square feet and I can hear the alarm from anywhere in my apartment. I would suggest to this product to anyone that wants to feel a little bit more secure. I know that it does not alert any police if it went off, but it would alert your neighbors and wake you up if someone was breaking in. Plus, the person breaking in does not know what kind of alarm is going off so I am betting that they would leave right away once they heard the loud alarm. Love this product and am very very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for camping also, December 12, 2012
I bought two sets of these last summer so I had 4 of them. What I do is mount them about 3ft off the grount to 4 trees, each tree about 40 feet from the camp area and hook a fshing line, one side to a tree, and the other to the magnet on the sensor. so if at night a bear (or human) walks through there it pulls the magnit off blaring one of the alarms. they entirely cover my perimeter.

4.0 out of 5 stars They work okay, April 26, 2013
I like that these are loud and deter my little one from leaving the premises unnoticed, but they do not fit doors well that have moulding around them. The doors you apply these to must be flush to the wall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy your own adhesive, June 24, 2013
The product works great on both settings and is very loud but not too loud. They will not stay on the wall with the adhesive included in the packaging. It scared the daylights out of me when it fell for the first time and the alarm was going off - I thought someone was breaking in. Very annoying. But once I applied store-bought double-sided tape, the product's usefulness and ability to stay on the wall increased tremendously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for home, May 3, 2013
I was looking for a door entry chime for my home daycare. Licensing requirements dictate I'm not able to lock the door or use those baby proofing door knob safety covers, so it was important to find a way to notify myself if any of the kids open a door. I read another review by a dad who bought this chime for his home for the same reason, so I felt confident purchasing it. I'm very happy with my purchase. The two pack was perfect. I installed one on the front door and another on the back. My doors are a bit odd, we have an older home and the molding created an edge that made it difficult to place the sensors using the sticky back provided, so I used hot glue and it worked like a charm. The chime is a little annoying and sounds exactly like a 7-11 entry. The "ding-dong" reminds you of slurpees and 2 for 1 taquitos, but it's not too bad. It was a little loud for us, so I put some masking tape over the speaker and it's perfect. I like the fact that you can switch it to the "alarm" setting. My husband recently went on a business trip, and I felt good knowing I'd wake up if an intruder came breaking in. I'd suggest this to anyone looking for a chime for home. It's small, not unsightly, affordable, and does the job to perfection.

4.0 out of 5 stars ., March 11, 2013
it does what it claims, the only downfall is the adhesive tape is only on one side, due to arcitectual issues i had to buy extra adhesive to put on the other side. other than that it was fine. loud enough to alert almost anyone

1.0 out of 5 stars I received something other than what was pictured, March 20, 2014
I ordered this and the ones I received did not have an alarm and chime setting, just an off and on setting. Couldn't get them to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! A+ A+ A+, August 1, 2014
We recently relocated from overseas to a two bedroom apartment. Our 4 year old daughter's room was on the opposite end of the apt and had it's own separate exit to the patio. I was scared to death to leave her in her room at night UNTIL I bought these alarms. I alarmed her window and door. Our daughter knows not to open the door under any circumstance but one day the alarm went off while she had a friend over. I heard the alarm immediately and knew that someone had opened the door.

*****this is an amazing amazing amazing product if you're in temporary housing or are unable to install a home security system. This paranoid mom highly recommends this product!!!!******

5.0 out of 5 stars Loud!, July 7, 2013
This is very loud and obnoxious, which is exactly what a home intruder does not want to hear. It is inexpensive and easy to install. Great product.

Door/Window Entry Alarm with Magnetic Sensor, Pack of 2