Publishers of computer books love to boast about the secrets their books contain. The only thing they like better is to tout the number of tips and time-saving shortcuts their authors share. All too often, the secrets and tips are obvious and semi-obvious things that almost anyone could figure out through experimentation and a scan of the manufacturer's manual. In contrast to a lot of its shelf-mates, the title of Windows 2000 Secrets is not misleading. This book really does contain a lot of information about generally undocumented and honestly helpful aspects of Windows 2000 Professional. In addition to a good deal of straight documentation of surface features, you'll find explanations of many of Windows' back doors, secret passageways, and false bookcases.
A typical section explains how to convert a FAT or FAT32 file system to NTFS--that's the sort of thing you'd find in any Windows 2000 book. However, the authors of this book call the reader's attention to a little-known switch (which you can invoke when running the conversion program) that resolves many filename problems. Other secrets include using the Generic/Text printer driver to convert Web pages to plain text, editing dial-up connection settings manually, and even using a secret feature to win at Minesweeper every time. Unsupported tools, such as TweakUI, get coverage too, and the book's full text appears on the companion CD-ROM to speed searches. --David Wall
Topics covered: Windows 2000 Professional for power users. Covers all areas of the operating system, including the user interface, file management tools, users, Internet connectivity via modems, and basic local area networking.
From the Back Cover
Windows® 2000 secrets® Boost Performance with the Best-Kept Secrets in the Business Jam-packed with step-by-step procedures, insider advice, and time-saving shortcuts, this unique guide helps you make the most of all of the great new features in Windows 2000, from plug-and-play support to improved network connectivity. Written by three Windows pros, Windows 2000 Secrets is all you need to unleash the hidden power of this revolutionary operating system. Harness the Secrets of Windows 2000
- Insider installation tricks, including dual-boot systems
- The ins and outs of modifying menus and editing file types
- Unusual uses for the usual applets, including how to cheat at Minesweeper
- Indispensable tips for configuring modems and com ports
- The bottom line on the new plug-and-play and power management features
- Advanced techniques for taking control of the Control Panel
- The inside scoop on managing security and performance with MMC snap-ins
- The things no one else tells you about the Registry
- Neat tricks for printers plus tips on fonts, including the new Unicode standard
- Little-known facts about connecting to a Windows, Unix, or Novell network
Fully searchable electronic version of the book on CD-ROM
See all Editorial Reviews
- Pop in the CD-ROM for the ultimate power user's online help system!