5.0 out of 5 stars Turned an old XP computer into a new one!
Published 9 months ago by Goldengate

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 beats Windows 8 In My eyes
Published 9 months ago by Dr. CookiePuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Turned an old XP computer into a new one!, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, System Builder OEM DVD 1 Pack (New Packaging) (Software)
With Microsoft ending its support of XP on April 8th, I knew I had to do something about one of our older Dell computers that's been running XP for the last -- wow maybe 8 years? A little voice told me I should just spend $400 on a new computer instead of $100 on a new OS but the old computer works fine and was pretty fast on XP, and the Windows Upgrade Advisor (free download, google it) told me that the unit would have no problems with Windows 7.

So I copied all of my picture and document files off of the computer onto an external hard drive and booted this DVD. It only took about 10 minutes to install Windows 7 and yes, the hardest part is reading the micro type on the password key to unlock the copy of Windows. I took a picture with my iPhone and then zoomed in to read the numbers but even with that one number was VERY hard to read. After activation I spent the next hour or so configuring the computer, and I used Windows Easy Transfer (another free program from Microsoft) to move all the files over.

Windows 7 is a great OS -- I didn't want to mess around with Windows 8.1 .... this disk is only usable on ONE computer and once you use the key there, it is forever locked to that computer's motherboard, so don't think you can install this on all the computers in your house.

For me this was easier than going through the hassle of ordering a new computer but I might regret that decision down the road since I just dropped $100 onto a pretty old computer.... but for now I'm very happy with how Windows 7 is performing and how easy it was to install on my old computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for building a pc or in bootcamp, February 28, 2014
I used this to install on bootcamp for my mac book pro 15 retina. It came in a little paper and installed quickly. No problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 beats Windows 8 In My eyes, March 13, 2014
I purchased a brand new computer that came with Windows 8. I'm thinking cool, I can tinker around with a new OS. I couldn't get passed the login screen. No joke. As soon as the computer boots up its asking for a password. Come to find out it wants my Microsoft email.pw from like 20 years ago which I have no access to anymore. I literally couldn't get to the desktop. I have Windows 8 on my phone with no problems so I don't know what the problem was.

Needless to say I purchased this Windows 7 Home Premium. Now I compared the differences between the versions but apparently not well enough. Turns out this version limits you to using 16GB RAM. My new computer had 8GB x 4 for 32 GBs of RAM. Under computer properties its says 32GB memory(16GB usable).

I then proceeded to downloaded a cracked version of Windows Ultimate x64 which uses all 32GBs. If I saw this limiting feature in the comparison list I would have sprung for Ultimate, but there's no way I'm buying this, and then spending close to 200 bucks for Ultimate just so I can use the RAM my computer came with. Nope, nuh uh, aint happening.

So basically Windows 7 Home Premium is a fine OS but has more limitations than whats listed in this Amazon chart, the memory thing being one of them. Side note: Windows Ultimate is awesome as it welcomes my 32GB RAM into its warm embrace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially... "Oh no, I bought the wrong thing". But I was happy later., March 6, 2014
Initially... "Oh no, I bought the wrong thing" because the packaging had language on it that stated it was for a NEW build. As I was trying to upgrade my gal's computer from VISTA, I was afraid it would wipe it clean... but I tried it anyway and surprise... it gave me an 'upgrade' choice. So all worked out fine, and at a reasonable price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Upgrade from Vista......, March 2, 2014
......but you already knew that.

I loaded this Windows 7 version onto a Corsair 90 GB SSD in an almost 5 year old HP DV7-1200US laptop. It runs very well, restarting (from clicking restart to being back at the desktop) in 60 seconds and booting from a completely powered down state to the desktop in about 40 (although I can't necessarily say how much of that speed is due the the SSD and how much is due to the OS itself). Regardless, I've been very pleased with its performance, in terms of both speed and smoothness of operation. Menus load almost instantaneously and programs run without the frequent hitches and hiccups of Vista. I cannot speak of nor recommend this OS highly enough.

Another reviewer (user EvilOzzness who posted on the "Old Standard Packing" edition of this page for this version) seems to believe that since this is the OEM version of Win 7, once you install it onto a computer, you can never change any hardware components of the computer without breaking/locking the OS. He cites an excerpt from the EULA provided by Microsoft for OEM or "System Builder" versions of Win 7 as well as personal experience trying to replace a broken HDD as his reasoning. However, reassured by the advice of friends and other reviewers, I installed my copy and then added both a new 500 GB Western Digital HDD and 2x4GB of Samsung DDR2 RAM to my rig. This didn't seem to cause any problems. The new hardware installs occurred after official Windows activation of the OS and I never had any issues with it booting or running on any level. The review I'm referencing was written in late 2011, so maybe Microsoft altered that section of the EULA since then, or maybe EvilOzzness just interpreted the text incorrectly and his plight was due to some other unseen issue. So, if you were afraid this might happen to you, don't be (unless you need to change motherboards - OEM software should lock to motherboards, but only motherboards, not other hardware). In my experience, the fear is unwarranted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't Activate, March 28, 2014
Bought this and had it shipped to my parent's house so I could do their XP to Win7 migration. The product code labels don't have the typical MS holograms. It installed without issue (fresh installation on a newly-formatted HDD). When I tried to activate it, it failed. Repeated confirmation of the product code still failed.

I wanted to "contact seller" but that isn't an option on this item. My only option was to do a return for credit and try to find it elsewhere.

...update...

After quite a bit of frustration, I contacted Microsoft directly. After an hour or so of confirming my "good faith" purchase, they created a new/valid activation code that worked.

DO NOT SEARCH on the web or you will likely end up with a fraudulent support center (NOT MS) that will try to remote in and install a bot. Instead click on Start and, in the text entry block, enter: SLUI 4 (then click on the OK/RUN button). Answer the question about country and it will return a support phone number. Follow the prompts and Bob's your Uncle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not come with Product Key, June 26, 2014
It works as it should, yes. I mean, it's just a Windows 7 installation disc. However the seller I bought it from, "Fin-Tech", did not include an activation key. I have attempted to contact them to get a key for it, but have received absolutely no reply. So now I'm stuck with a copy of Windows that will be "not genuine" in exactly 9 days. If this is resolved, I would gladly change this to a 5 star, but sadly I'm forced to give a 1 star and a bad review until this can be fixed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pirated OS, July 5, 2014
Donald Ribellia (Honolulu, HI, US) - See all my reviews
I have discovered that I can't activate this because apparently it is pirated. It is past the return time for it. I thought that it would automatically activate when I went online, so I did not check the activation. I've built many PCs and have had pirated copies before. This is the first from an Amazon sail, so I'm extremely distressed about it. The PC it is installed in is for my wife, and she was using it for over a month when she told me it stopped working properly. I tried to activate it and that's when I discovered the problem.
Since I couldn't return it I went to a different buyer. Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take Windows 8 and put it where the . . . ., February 27, 2014
A. Ligammari (Niagara Falls, NY) - See all my reviews
I've loved this operating system since it debuted. With all of the horror stories about 8 and 8.1 I decided to use 7 on my new build and it works flawlessly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Win 7 is just better, February 22, 2014
Simpler than Windows 8 and so much better, especially since I am running this as a second OS on my Mac through Parallels. Very stable and you can be productive without all the unnecessary "fluff" in Win 8. Sometimes simple is just better.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, System Builder OEM DVD 1 Pack (New Packaging)
$119.99 $95.88