Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Style Name: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

With Microsoft ending its support of XP on April 8th, I knew I had to do something about one of our older Dell computers that's been running XP for the last -- wow maybe 8 years? A little voice told me I should just spend $400 on a new computer instead of $100 on a new OS but the old computer works fine and was pretty fast on XP, and the Windows Upgrade Advisor (free download, google it) told me that the unit would have no problems with Windows 7.

So I copied all of my picture and document files off of the computer onto an external hard drive and booted this DVD. It only took about 10 minutes to install Windows 7 and yes, the hardest part is reading the micro type on the password key to unlock the copy of Windows. I took a picture with my iPhone and then zoomed in to read the numbers but even with that one number was VERY hard to read. After activation I spent the next hour or so configuring the computer, and I used Windows Easy Transfer (another free program from Microsoft) to move all the files over.

Windows 7 is a great OS -- I didn't want to mess around with Windows 8.1 .... this disk is only usable on ONE computer and once you use the key there, it is forever locked to that computer's motherboard, so don't think you can install this on all the computers in your house.

For me this was easier than going through the hassle of ordering a new computer but I might regret that decision down the road since I just dropped $100 onto a pretty old computer.... but for now I'm very happy with how Windows 7 is performing and how easy it was to install on my old computer.
4040 comments|353 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2014
I used this to install on bootcamp for my mac book pro 15 retina. It came in a little paper and installed quickly. No problems.
66 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2014
I have discovered that I can't activate this because apparently it is pirated. It is past the return time for it. I thought that it would automatically activate when I went online, so I did not check the activation. I've built many PCs and have had pirated copies before. This is the first from an Amazon sail, so I'm extremely distressed about it. The PC it is installed in is for my wife, and she was using it for over a month when she told me it stopped working properly. I tried to activate it and that's when I discovered the problem.
Since I couldn't return it I went to a different buyer. Very disappointed.
on March 28, 2014
Bought this and had it shipped to my parent's house so I could do their XP to Win7 migration. The product code labels don't have the typical MS holograms. It installed without issue (fresh installation on a newly-formatted HDD). When I tried to activate it, it failed. Repeated confirmation of the product code still failed.

I wanted to "contact seller" but that isn't an option on this item. My only option was to do a return for credit and try to find it elsewhere.

...update...

After quite a bit of frustration, I contacted Microsoft directly. After an hour or so of confirming my "good faith" purchase, they created a new/valid activation code that worked.

DO NOT SEARCH on the web or you will likely end up with a fraudulent support center (NOT MS) that will try to remote in and install a bot. Instead click on Start and, in the text entry block, enter: SLUI 4 (then click on the OK/RUN button). Answer the question about country and it will return a support phone number. Follow the prompts and Bob's your Uncle.
44 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2015
Sadly after paying for the item and I received it. Turns out it was a pirated disc. It was a burned 's with a printed label on it.
review image
on March 13, 2014
I purchased a brand new computer that came with Windows 8. I'm thinking cool, I can tinker around with a new OS. I couldn't get passed the login screen. No joke. As soon as the computer boots up its asking for a password. Come to find out it wants my Microsoft email.pw from like 20 years ago which I have no access to anymore. I literally couldn't get to the desktop. I have Windows 8 on my phone with no problems so I don't know what the problem was.

Needless to say I purchased this Windows 7 Home Premium. Now I compared the differences between the versions but apparently not well enough. Turns out this version limits you to using 16GB RAM. My new computer had 8GB x 4 for 32 GBs of RAM. Under computer properties its says 32GB memory(16GB usable).

I then proceeded to downloaded a cracked version of Windows Ultimate x64 which uses all 32GBs. If I saw this limiting feature in the comparison list I would have sprung for Ultimate, but there's no way I'm buying this, and then spending close to 200 bucks for Ultimate just so I can use the RAM my computer came with. Nope, nuh uh, aint happening.

So basically Windows 7 Home Premium is a fine OS but has more limitations than whats listed in this Amazon chart, the memory thing being one of them. Side note: Windows Ultimate is awesome as it welcomes my 32GB RAM into its warm embrace.
2727 comments|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2014
I received an open package, labeled for use with the Registered Refurbisher Program. I didn't notice until after I had activated it that it was 32-bit, not 64. MIs-labeled, mis-shipped, or mis-informed. Packing list said "Sold by Software Technology.)
on June 26, 2014
It works as it should, yes. I mean, it's just a Windows 7 installation disc. However the seller I bought it from, "Fin-Tech", did not include an activation key. I have attempted to contact them to get a key for it, but have received absolutely no reply. So now I'm stuck with a copy of Windows that will be "not genuine" in exactly 9 days. If this is resolved, I would gladly change this to a 5 star, but sadly I'm forced to give a 1 star and a bad review until this can be fixed.
on March 6, 2014
Initially... "Oh no, I bought the wrong thing" because the packaging had language on it that stated it was for a NEW build. As I was trying to upgrade my gal's computer from VISTA, I was afraid it would wipe it clean... but I tried it anyway and surprise... it gave me an 'upgrade' choice. So all worked out fine, and at a reasonable price too.
11 comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2014
The product was found to NOT be genuine. Microsoft would not accept the product code. I lost a lot of my files and as a result, I was so frustrated that I ended up having to buy a new computer. I did file a claim through Amazon and to their credit, they did
refund the full price that was paid for this software. I have no complaint as far as Amazon is concerned...they treated us fairly and promptly.