Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (Full) System Builder OEM DVD 1 Pack [Old Packaging]
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 15, 2011
If you've reinstalled Windows just once in your life, you've learned enough to tackle a full virgin installation of Windows 7 from an OEM copy. Microsoft has finally created an operating system with so much built-in support and maintenance technology it practically does all the work for you, so if your current Windows XP machine is labeled "Windows Vista Capable" or "Windows 7 Capable," this is the way to go. Just to be sure, install and run Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor.

You can't upgrade from XP to 7; you have to wipe the drive or partition and perform a clean install, but even an upgrade from Vista to 7 is fraught with peril, so you might as well do the same if you're running Vista. Just back up your data and find all your application installation software before you begin. Once you activate this OEM version, it's married to the PC's system board. You can't reuse the product key on another machine unless you can convince Microsoft that the previous PC is out of commission. You're also not eligible for free phone and chat support from Microsoft, but there's a big enough expert user base that you should be able to solve most problems by joining a few Windows 7 users' forums. If you're not building an exotic tricked-out übergamingmaschine with overclocked handmade graphics cards, you shouldn't have much trouble that will require outside help. Your humble author installed Windows 7 32-bit on a late-2006 Apple iMac using Boot Camp. Windows Update found a better driver for the ATI Radeon X1600 display adapter than Apple provides.

The biggest advantage: you'll skip all the "enhanced experience" software the likes of Dell, HP and Lenovo cram onto their otherwise zippy machines. After the latest updates install, head off to microsoft dot com slash securityessentials and you'll get all the virus and malware protection you'll need absolutely FREE. Pay a visit to your PC maker's website, let 'em scan your system and grab all the latest hardware drivers.

With the OEM version, you don't get both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. For most users bringing along their XP-generation software and most peripherals, 32-bit is the best choice, especially on PCs with a maximum capacity of 4GB of RAM. If your PC has one of the latest Intel Core i-series processors, you'll reap the benefits of Hyper-threading, giving you the performance of 4 32-bit cores. Opt for the 64-bit version if you have a PC with a Core 2 Duo processor or better and have boosted the RAM beyond 4GB.

So, if you're ready for Windows 7 and don't have a pile of cash to burn for the full retail version, order up and have a ball!
22 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
I love the system builder version of Windows 7--- it installs the operating system only--- no junk, no ads, no nonsense. Instead if me having to spend hours deleting everything I do not need, I spend that time reinstalling my applications and being productive. What still surprises me is how fast it installs compared to all previous versions of Windows. I had the system to the point it was starting to update itself in less than 30-minutes which is awesome.

I have installed both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions without a hitch. The only [minor] gripe is that I wish I could set it on autopilot to install ALL of the updates without any intervention back-to-back-to-back. It seems as though it goes through the motions of updating this group which then triggers that grouping. I know I can just leave auto update on and let it do it over time, but I want it all done now. So while doing some other things I would go back every 20-min to see if I need to do anything. After a few times it was totally up to day for everything including all peripherals.

This system was on XP Pro which was good, but I was getting either the start of a hard drive failure or degradation of the OS--- either way it was time to upgrade from a 10-year old operating system that to this day still works admirably. Overall impression was the same as my last-- the system runs cleaner, is more stable, and finally faster. The last one I did was from Vista--- that was like upgrading from DOS--- it was epic.

As far as people questioning the authenticity of the product, I compared it to Microsoft's website for reference and all parameters checked out correct before installing it.

If you are looking to upgrade--- be sure to check your system version. I originally thought my system was a 64-bit as it was less than 3-years old, but as it turned out it was not (I knew this long before ordering the correct version) and was good to go. If you don't know where to look, here is the definitive way to know:

Go to:
Start
All Programs
Accessories
System Tools
System Information

Look at the line "System Type". If it is "x64 based" then it is a 64-bit system. If it says "X86-Based PC" then it is a 32-bit system.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2013
Using this disk produces a Win-7 system with OEM as the character part of the product ID. Thus if you need support from Microsoft, you can not get it for free. They tell you to contact the computer manufacturer, who would presumably be the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) who installed Windows. You do have the option of paying for Microsoft support or asking questions on the Microsoft Forum (I have found that to be pretty useless).

Also, this disk can not be used as a repair disk. It only has two modes: upgrade and install. "Upgrade" actually re-installs the operating system but supposedly saves your files and settings. Using either option requires registering the installation with Microsoft again, and the papers included with the disk indicate that, except in special circumstances, it can only be used once.
on September 18, 2013
Before you begin installation make sure you can read the code that is required after installation is almost complete. The font is extremely small and on a very small colored label. It took me a half hour just to get the code typed in correctly because it was almost impossible to read. Other then that problem, installing was a breeze.
on November 4, 2011
My last encounter with Windows was with a number of years ago - early version of XP. Windows 7 pro was a pleasant suprise to me. Excellent user interface and a stable product.

I have moved to Mac, but decide to use Windows 7 Pro with Parallels and will purchase it for my wife's PC.
on November 7, 2011
I bought this purely for the ability to play PC games, both old ones and new ones, and installed it on my Mac with Bootcamp. Overall Win 7 is a good operating system. It configured easily, connected to the Net easily, and found my wireless network printer without a hitch (All I had to do was install the printer driver). The desktop appearance is clean and uncluttered but its a little harder to find things on Win 7 as opposed to the Mac OS. Still, its an overall big step for Microsoft and doesn't require a super computer to run it. And I am impressed with its ability to run legacy games. The first one I installed was a 1997 product and its running fine.

All in all the whole process was smooth and I had no problems with the installation and Amazon's price and delivery were both excellent.
on October 16, 2011
I purchased this as a possible upgrade to Vista. I installed the program in Virtualbox to try it out. One problem, only problem so far, is that this Win7 program doesn't let me use my Flash drives or back up disk drive. The program is aware of the USB devices but gives me a Code 40. I spent a few hours chasing down leads online without success. Otherwise the program works as expected. My Vista is a 64 bit program and I understand this 32 bit can't be used to upgrade Vista. It must be a clean install.
on August 21, 2011
we purchased another Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack, for our other two computers. After having experienced the horror of Vista (we had to reboot our computer and downgrade to XP Professional), Windows 7 is a pure dream.

It was easy to install and it seemed to give our computer an extra boost. It use to take 3-5 minutes for the desk top to pull up, now it takes about 45 seconds to a minute. Nice - very nice.
on September 2, 2011
Windows 7 is Windows 7.

This is a solid Operating system - and if you are buying the System Builder, this is most likely not your first use. I recommend you install Microsoft Security Essentials (free from microsoft.com) upon install, though - and always make sure you run Windows Update for the first time once everything is up and running. (for the latest free updates)

Caution: Just keep in mind as you are "building your system" that the 32-Bit OS will only recognize up to 3Gig of Memory (some argue 3.12Gig).

If you are putting together a machine, anything over 4Gig will just be a waste of memory with this OS.

Otherwise - enjoy Windows 7!
on September 6, 2013
I have windows 7 on two machines (at present time) one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. For this 32bit version I've used it extensively before and one of my present systems. Windows 7 pro is a very stable OS and works well. Best windows OS I've used. I use this OS on a custom built machine and basically have zero issues. It simply works and is very stable and really a non issue.Don't waste your time on upgrades or trial versions, simply buy windows 7 pro and you are good.