5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Great Price, Fast Delivery
Published 17 months ago by Robert J. Pipes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not New, not legal
Published 7 months ago by Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Great Price, Fast Delivery, May 26, 2013
Bought this because of the reasonable price for a full install version of Win 7. I emailed their support to get reassurance after receiving the product that it was truly a legal copy and a full install, not an upgrade version. That was because of the ambiguous wording on the install DVD, which was originally with a Dell machine. They responed very quickly and assured me it would install and run Ok. It was shipped and received within a couple of days and was the easiest windows install I have ever done. I suppose that is because of Microsoft and not this vendor but it was still great.
I installed this a as virtual machine using virtualbox on a host Windows 8 Laptop with lots of disc and ram . Works great!
One minor thing to note is that the Dell name appears on some of the screens in th eoperating system. Not a big deal to me but something to know. They can probably be removed if its important to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Alternative to Windows 8 for Those Coming From Windows XP, April 21, 2014
C.K. (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (New Packaging) (Software)
I was forced to move up to Windows 7 Professional from Windows XP because of Microsoft ending XP support even though I was happy using XP. My desktop PC is a 2008 Dell Optiplex 740. I need a new computer and will buy one with Windows 7 Pro as soon as I can work it into the budget but for now I have to use this machine for a few more months.

After researching my options using customer reviews here on Amazon and elsewhere online, I determined that I did not want to go with Windows 8 and opted for Windows 7 Pro. I learned from reading one review about the OEM version and decided that was the one to get and I bought a copy. My girlfriend was in the same boat with her own Dell Optiplex 740 XP PC so she also bought Win 7 Pro OEM.

I successfully installed the Win 7 Pro OEM on both PCs between 4/7/14 and 4/9/14, activated them and installed most of our daily use software and we haven't had any problems so far except for a glitch in my Camtasia Studio 3 (caused by a missing Adobe Flash Active X component, which I was able to fix by downloading a copy from Adobe.com and installing.) We are both happy with these Windows 7 Pro OEM installations and find that Windows 7 is not all that different from XP as far as the user interface goes. It also seems to boot up, load and run faster on our computers than XP did.

I have been using Windows operating systems since 1992, when I installed Windows 3 on my little 16 megahertz Packard Bell 386SX PC running Microsoft DOS. I have installed multiple versions and instances of Windows (3, 95, 98, ME, and XP) on several computers over the years. These installations of Windows 7 Professional OEM 64 bit (on two older Dell PCs) were the easiest, quickest and most glitch-free Windows installations I have ever experienced and that helped motivate me to write this review.

I'd like to address a couple of issues here for the sake of those who are thinking about buying Windows 7 Pro OEM on Amazon. The first is, always be aware that some customer reviews are written in haste while the reviewer is angry and frustrated and hasn't done the due diligence necessary before buying or after installing. So the reader of the review should read as many reviews as possible, look at comments left for reviewers, weigh all the opinions and possibilities, and then go elsewhere online to research further if necessary.

The second thing I recommend is that each potential buyer of the software do the due diligence prior to purchase to make sure it is the right decision before you buy. What do I mean by "due diligence"? I mean one needs to make sure that Windows 7 Professional OEM 64 bit software from Microsoft and sold by Amazon.com will work on the buyer's PC. It takes a little time and effort but will save the buyer a whole lot of aggravation and headaches in the long run.

So, to help the potential buyer do that due diligence, I will lay out here the steps I took before and after we purchased Windows 7 Pro OEM 64 bit for our Dell Optiplex 740 XP desktop PCs.

1. I researched on Amazon and elsewhere online to learn about Windows 8.0, 8.1 and 7. From my research I decided that I wanted Windows 7 Pro.

2. From reading some good customer reviews on Amazon, I decided to go with the Windows 7 Pro OEM 64 bit version.

3. I read the documentation that came with my Dell Optiplex 740 to see if it was 64 bit compatible and it appeared to be.

4. I wanted to be sure my Dell could run the Win 7 64 bit OS so I researched a bit more online and learned about the "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" software which I downloaded, installed and ran and it verified that my computer could run Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

5. I bought the software, received it in the mail and got ready to install it first on the girlfriend's PC (somebody has to be the guinea pig tester) and then after that on mine.

6. I backed up all essential files, software and settings onto flash drives and external hard drives (I did miss a couple; make sure to backup your "user/application data" folders in your "Douments and Settings" folder). I booted up the first PC and went immediately into the BIOS Setup to set the boot sequence to "Boot from CD" (on these Dells it is an "F2 - Enter Setup" command entered while the machine is booting up just before it loads Windows.)

7. I tried to install the the Win 7 Pro 64 bit OEM System Builder OS on the first PC thinking that it would reformat the hard drive and then install the OS but it didn't. So I went online with the other PC and did more research to find out that I would need to perform a "clean installation" of Windows 7 Pro which would require me to "wipe" the hard drive of ALL files prior to installing Win 7. More online research led to several recommendations to use "Darik's Boot and Nuke" to do the hard drive wipe so I went to dban.org and downloaded the software (or the disk image of it) and then I burned that to a CD-ROM disc.

9. I placed the "Boot and Nuke" disc in the CD drive on the girlfriend's PC and rebooted (BIOS again set to "Boot from CD"), the software loaded and I just started it up without any selection of which type of wipe to perform. The default selection seemed to work okay but it took about 2.5 hours to complete on my girlfriend's machine and nearly 4 hours on mine (I had a lot more files.) During the wipe, I left the computer running and went off to do other things.

10. Now that the hard drive was wiped clean I was ready to install Win 7. I inserted that disc into the CD/DVD-ROM drive and tried to get it started (again with the BIOS Setup still set to "boot from CD") but it wouldn't work. I went into the BIOS and tried changing settings but nothing worked. Eventually I figured out I needed to put the Win 7 DVD into the other DVD drive (I still don't know why the first DVD drive didn't work but with computers it is always trial and error). I then changed the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the second DVD drive was first in the boot sequence. Bingo! Windows 7 began installing.

11. When it came time to activate the software, I had the same problem as others have had with the minute type used for the authentication key. Having been warned about this I simply got out a magnifying glass and deciphered the smallest print you have ever seen in your life (watch out for those "Bs" that are really "8s" and "Gs" that are really "6s") and, after two or three tries at entering the correct alpha-numeric characters, I entered the correct key and was able to successfully activate and install Windows 7 Professional. Remember, if you do not enter the authentication key characters EXACTLY as printed on the DVD sleeve next to the key symbol, you won't be able to activate and install the OS. I think most of the negative reviews for this product are being left by people who have not entered the correct key characters. I have 5 sets of 5 alpha-numeric characters on my DVD and I have to use a high quality magnifying glass to read them. Even then, it is hard to tell "Bs" from "8s" and "Gs" from "6s". Don't mistake improper authentication key character entries for non-genuine software.

12. Once the installation was complete, I began installing the software that we use every day.

It was a bit of a job doing two computers over about four days but it worked and I'm glad we went with this OS. I do have to warn you that there are many, many Windows updates during the first few days that will download automatically after you try to shut down and then install when you start up the computer. But be patient. They do wind down and cease after about a week.

So, if you're worried about buying and installing Windows Professional 7 64 Bit OEM Version from Microsoft and sold by Amazon, don't be. As long as you make sure to do your due diligence about your computer's compatibility and you take the right steps in backing up files, wiping your drive, booting up in proper sequence and deciphering the key, you shouldn't have any real problems.

Good luck and enjoy the new OS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not New, not legal, March 12, 2014
This was indeed a copy of Windows 7 Pro and a genuine Microsoft disk BUT, the product key code had obviously been razor bladed off another machine and this genuine but used key code was just stuck in the non Microsoft DVD case. The whole thing had been poorly re-shrink wrapped. This is not a legal way to sell Microsoft OEM software as it can only be used on one machine. Amazon needs to be aware that they are aiding an illegal practice.

1.0 out of 5 stars 4 Weeks later not Genuine, July 29, 2013
Michael (Libertyville, IL United States) - See all my reviews
4 weeks after installing product I get a message from Microsoft informing me that this is not a Genuine copy of Windows. Will be returning copy ASAP. Buyer Beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, Genuine OEM disk, March 20, 2014
Melsman (Central California) - See all my reviews
I purchased this with the realization that I needed to convert my 64-bit capable XP machine to Windows 7, since XP is about to reach "end of life". I was a little concerned reading previous reviews that this was not a Microsoft OEM product, even though the picture and description says that it is. Well, I'm glad I purchased because it is a genuine Microsoft Windows 7 OEM disk and it ran wonderfully, giving the option of updating the from XP, or wiping clean and starting afresh. But even with a clean start, it kept most of the old computer files in a windows.old folder. However, I was glad I did a full back-up to my external drive before installing so that I could go grab some of my old configuration data files.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon, what a shame! Do not buy from Markdown Discount: I received a used, if not pirated copy., April 11, 2014
Live Dharma (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
First, Amazon has an annoying habit of using the same description for a product, but then rotates to different sellers at purchase, making the reviews confusing as to which sellers are doing what. This review is for a purchase of a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack, which was fulfilled by Amazon and supplied by Markdown Discount (now it is someone else on the web). Looking at the description, this product is supposed to be "new" and "genuine," pretty straight forward, right? When I received the package, it looked new too--it was sealed wrapped with a bar code label that read, "New Packaging", "New." But then once opened, the Microsoft product code falls out. It looks like a bad cut out: the piece looks like someone steamed off an original code then badly glued it on a blank piece of paper, which was coming off. The disc had smear marks all over...not exactly new, and probably not genuine. I am irked at the time wasted on waiting for something pirated when I could be looking elsewhere. But on top of it all, Amazon is a bit of an auto-bot on this issue. I called Customer Service, and basically, it only gives a refund or exchange (without guarantees that you will ever get a genuine one!). Customer Service cannot deal with piracy issue, Amazon does not even want to see the package that was sent, it is going back to Returns (to get repackaged probably!). Another department will do a follow up call to look into the matter, without the product for reference, of course! The Customer Service rep. was reading out from a book or something, about how Amazon can only rely on the description posted on the website by the "seller", and was sorry that this happened, what do I want to do--return or exchange? Which only leads me to ask, why is the exact same polished description being posted for all these different sellers? Perhaps, Amazon gets paid to promote these sellers and wouldn't want to look too deeply into such issues--you get your money back and forget the whole thing, or try another Russian roulette to see if you get something genuine. Somehow Microsoft would be more proactive than this, the FBI would be breathing down Amazon's and its sellers' neck pronto. In my opinion, one too many questionable businesses are on the market place these days--I have received a fair share of used/damaged/ amateur products from Amazon's sellers, and find myself buying often from other reputable places at better prices. So Amazon take a harder line on such issues, it's your reputation. If not, you risk losing legit customers, then what will you do with your drones?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Really well, August 6, 2013
I'm an IT Tech in Trinidad, at first when i saw this windows 7 I was a bit skeptical but it was the reviews that persuade me to try it. Using this win7 about 2 months now on the internet and no problems what so ever. Takes updates and everything fine. Good product.Oh just in case you want to remove the dell branded logo after the install, you just have to find the logo folder in system32 and delete the pics. Great price and software.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware..., October 17, 2013
Just because the page says that it is not a re-install dvd, does not mean that it isn't a reinstall dvd, because I did indeed receive a reinstall dvd. Contact the seller before you buy to verify that what they are selling is the correct item.

2.0 out of 5 stars This WINDOWS 7 DVD is NOT GENUINE (until I did this), July 4, 2014
This product is NOT GENUINE according to the information screens that are now present on my screen. I purchased this Windows 7 product to install on my son's Macbook Pro laptop to run with Parallels. The medical school he will be attending requires Windows 7 and I promised him that Windows 7 running on a Macbook would fulfill his requirements. Everything worked fine for the past month when all of a sudden we had screens starting to pop up stating that activatioin was required. We followed the screen prompts to once again activate the Windows 7 disc and now we have a permanent statment in the lower right hand corner of the screen indicating that this DVD is NOT GENUINE. I felt safe purchasing this Windows 7 disc because it was sold directly by AMAZON. I am hoping that Amazon will correct this problem.

NOTE: UPDATE to the above issue.

1) Amazon has been extremely helpful in that they offered a ONE time exemption to their 30 day return policy on this product. They provided me with excellent and expedient customer support by offering to return this Windows 7 Pro DVD......... HOWEVER........

2) After researching my particular issue with this Windows 7 Pro DVD.... I discovered the following...

a) There is a temporary "work around" by searching on YouTube that involves using Windows (CMD) command and typing in SLGR -REARM. What this basically does is give you 30 more days to use the program and removes the "This Windows 7 is not Genuine" in the bottom right hand corner of your Windows (Black) desktop. Note....this REARM command can only be used 3 times (90 days).

b) I discovered a PERMANENT solution to my particular issue by using the AUTOMATED Microsoft PHONE Activated System. You simple go to the activation menu found in the Control Panel and activate your product through the AUTOMATED ACTIVATION system. You basically enter the long string (9 fields of 6 numbers each) from your screen into the system which THEN give you groups of numbers to enter in fields A B C D E F G (six numbers each I believe. When I activated my Windows 7 Pro in this manner through Microsoft, my product became PERMANENTLY ACTIVATED and is marked as GENUINE. I gave this a 2 Star only because this procedure should have been outlined in some manner to avoid having to discover this on my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement for XP, March 24, 2014
I ordered this operating system to replace XP since Microsoft has decided not to support XP any longer. I was concerned that the OEM version might not install without the OEM installation software, but it installed just fine. Windows 7 is a bit different than XP but it is very stable and I didn't want to put up with the Windows 8/8.1 hastles I had read about. I am happy with my purchase. The only downside is the complete lack of documentation with the OEM version.

$149.99 $139.99