Windows System Requirements for Tax Cut 2008 Does anybody happen to know if there is a requirements that SP2 is installed on a Windows XP system to install and run this software? The system requirements page doesn't say it does but I couldn't install Turbo as I don't have SP2 installed and I don't want to find out after the fact that Tax Cut requires it too.
asked by Linda D on February 4, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
Linda, I run Windows XP SP2 and have the updates installed as an automatic routine. It's not a political issue with me, it's just a matter of keeping the OS updates properly installed. They actually do improve the performance of a system.

As far as browsers go, I'm currently running (in order of priority) Google Chrome, MSIE 8 (beta), and Firefox. These are all on a single computer as I write this to you, an aging HP with an Intel Celeron processor, as can be seen here in this review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RVTD9I8GMY0EX/

Again, I refuse to get political over browsers, but I have no reason to think that TaxCut wouldn't work with any or all of my browsers.

It's never too late to do the OS upgrade to SP2. The only issue that seems to be a show stopper for some is if the copy of Windows XP isn't licensed, in which case that's a whole different issue... and another can of worms, so to speak.
John Williamson answered on February 4, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Linda, I'm not too sure whether TaxCut 2008 requires a Windows XP system to be running SP2 installed, but since so many applications do require it as an absolute minimum, you might consider upgrading to it. The Windows SP2 upgrade is free, as you can see here in this 2004 article from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/russel_installsp2.mspx

I checked the TaxCut Customer Support section and it lists the following as minimum system requirements for TaxCut Basic, Standard, Premium, Business and State programs:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, XP and Vista
Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher

As you can see, XP SP2 isn't specified, but it's still a good idea.
John Williamson answered on February 4, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks very much for the response. I know you're right but when I attempted the installation for Turbo, it also said I needed IE 7. I have been using Firefox for ages and really don't want to upgrade. I cringed just starting IE up to check my current level (it's IE 6). Do you sense my lack of confidence in Microsoft updates? Honestly, I'm so far behind in maintenance I'm considering filing by pen and paper vs exposing my now smooth-running computer to the evils I am imagining and have read about. I did see the system requirements where Vista noted a SP level but XP did not, so I was hoping maybe it wasn't required. But I guess I'd be playing with fire a bit. Thanks again for the response, it's appreciated.
Linda D answered on February 4, 2009

A
J, thanks again. My copy is certainly licensed, no issue there. What I meant about IE 7 is that Microsoft won't give me the SP2 updates unless I install it first. It's not political for me at all, but since I stopped using IE my system has about 1% of the failures it had previously (actually I can't remember the last one now but I'll give MSFT the benefit of the doubt). I disabled automatic updates a long time ago, so as I say I'm woefully behind on maintenance. I'm sure I'd have been much happier had I kept current but I did not, and I have yet to read a tutorial on installing SP2 that suggests all will go well and smoothly. That being said, I may still be required to do it, I simply hoped to avoid it for the time being or until I can afford the potential down time. I do appreciate your input, thanks again.
Linda D answered on February 4, 2009

A
I got SP2 years ago, and had to do a system restore because of all the problems it caused.
Without getting into a debate about what other people consider proper system maintenance, is there any way we can get a definite answer from someone here or from TaxCut whether or not we need SP2?
Gandalara answered on February 7, 2009

A
Just wanted to update this to say I did install Tax Cut without SP2. I installed federal and state, updated federal, and imported my data from Turbo Tax for 2007. So far so good though that's as far as I've gotten but I'm not really anticipating any problems.
Linda D answered on March 9, 2009
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product