5.0 out of 5 stars Heights Unmatched
Published on December 11, 2002 by Randy Given

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed more depth...
I found the text lacked detail; probably sufficient for sounding clever at dinner parties, but only at a fairly superficial level of understanding. I suspect it has been aimed at the wine novice. For a more authoritative text, I would go for Hugh Johnson's Wine Companion.
Published on July 9, 2006 by Kevin Franklin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heights Unmatched, December 11, 2002
Randy Given (Manchester, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This book is named after the restaurant "Windows on the World" (WotW) which was near the top of the World Trade Center (NYC). Although I had been to the top of the WTC many times, I never made it to WotW. I wish I had. If this book is any indication (especially the 2003 edition with stories and pictures about the restaurant itself), it must have been a wonderful experience.
For beginners, this book should be read after "Wine for Dummies" (WfD). I recommend WfD as the book to purchase if you only want one book. If you want two or more, which is very likely, the second one is this one, "Windows on the World Complete Wine Course" (WotWCWC). This book covers reds and whites, in depth, as well as a clearly diagrammed set of geography pictures and notes.
The author takes out much of the snobbishness of others, presenting a great deal of information in an attractive manner. This is great for the library as well as a book that can be laid out on a table for casual reading by guests.
There is a FAQ section towards the back that is very good. There are also some suggestions for starting your own collection and for those that want to make a restaurant wine list (which is also a must-read because some of it will apply to your own collection).
This book is a must-have for a wine library. Your guests will also appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for beginners! A great read., November 12, 2002
My husband and I consider ourselves wine hobbyists - not really beginners - and we are getting a lot out of this book. Zraly packs a lot in, and it's all interesting stuff, from little known facts (did you know your nose can discern over 2,000 different smells?) to diagrams of the taste centers of your tongue, to discussions of the various wine regions in different countries, as well as the United States. What sold me on this book is the suggested wine buys for the well-stocked cellar (in the Appendix), where Zraly suggests wines you can easily find in various ranges: under [money] (everyday wines), [money] (once a week wines), [money] and up. Great suggestions from someone whose been in the business for years and loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect "course" for the beginning oenophile, July 2, 2005
This is an excellent book for the beginning oenophile. Truly, I have found that there was no greater revelation in my gustatory experience than when I first had a good glass of wine. Not a wine that had been left out and corked at a restaurant for three days, not a $4.99 bottle from the local supermarket, not two-buck-Chuck, or, god forbid, the jug wines of my parents day. That first good glass of wine opened my eyes to an amazing world that I didn't know existed.

When you have that first good glass, you seek out more, and during your search you discover that there are varietals you've never heard of: Viognier, Barolo, Carignan, Mourvedre, Tempranillo, and so many others. As you taste these wines, you realize this is a world you want to know more about.

This is the perfect book to start your journey into the "wonderful world of wine". While it is very well written, it is certainly not comprehensive (no introductory book of any kind could be!) but there are times when the author references something that 1) you may wish to know more about; or 2) you feel it hasn't been adequately explained. I would highly recommend purchasing The New Wine Lovers Companion, available here on Amazon for only $10.17 (i.e., not any great expenditure) and keep it next to you while you go through the book. It will greatly enhance your experience.

When you have finished with this book you will have a solid understanding of all of the major wine producing regions in the world, the varietals that come from them, the wines that are made, and so much more.

I myself work part-time in a wine store, and recommend this book to everyone who comes in wanting to know more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Applause! This book is like great vintages, always improving, March 9, 2003
randi rimedio (myrtle beach, sc) - See all my reviews
I have several editions of Mr. Zraly's Complete Wine Course. I find myself looking forward to each years edition, waiting to see his take on current vintages and always wine "tid-bits" that make wine loving so enticing. I have a restaurant in S.C., which the current edition is always on the table in our tasting room. I also find myself giving it as birthday and Christmas gifts. All my friends have it, whether they are wine fanantics or not. It is always a perfect coffee table book. Great beginner book or for any wine lover. Learning about wines is loving wines!

5.0 out of 5 stars a wine guide for all, August 24, 2005
I bought this for a friend because I own it. I am a wine professional and have a fair amount of wine knowledge. I find this a great reminder and guide for personal and professional use. For my friend, it is an introduction into wine. He knows very little and this book is written for all levels of wine knowledge. It's easy to understand and practical. Kevin Zraly has probably forgotten more about wine than I will ever know and has written a great guide for people who are passionate about wine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good reference, especially for beginner, October 16, 2006
This review is from: Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2006 Edition (Kevin Zraly's Complete Wine Course) (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to find and buy this book back in 1989 when I first begain my wine education. I found the information, and the way it was presented, very easy to follow and very useful. The description and author clearly states that this is an introduction to wine. If your goal is to find out what wines you enjoy vs. becoming a collector, than I will go so far as to say that this book is the only one you will ever need.

I started a wine tasting club with my friends. Each month we would pick a different variety, and the host would choose 6 wines. As the unofficial 'president' of the club, I would write up some notes on the grape, region, etc., and most of those notes came from this book. I have since donated all my other wine books to the local book sale - this is the only one I return to for basic information. I probably will ask for an updated copy for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - great background for learning - and wines to try., June 7, 2006
Outstanding. A true course in the wines of the world. Helps get over the confusion so many choices present. I tried a Malbec from Argentina I wouldn't have tried without this book - outstanding with beef. Helps take the confusion out of wines in focus without being long or boring. Great list of wines to try by price range - wines you can actually find in the store. Whether you want to spend $15 on a wine or hundred or more, he has what you need to try things with confidence. One of my favorite gift book that I received from a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, November 25, 2005
This book is a great way to learn about wine. Mr. Zraly is a gifted teacher and writer who shares his knowledge of wine with clarity and passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, January 11, 2006
Before reading this book, I knew that I liked wine, but not much else. I was overwhelmed whenever I went into a wine store with a decent selection. This book addressed all of my basic wine questions (i.e. does wine need to be decanted?) and also gave me tons of information about the history and geography of wine. It's written well and without pretense. After reading this book, I'm more excited about trying out new wines than ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed more depth..., July 9, 2006