Customer Discussions > Just Cause 2 - PC forum

Windows XP is unsupported WTF??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2010 2:36:20 PM PST
Windows XP is unsupported

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 4:05:33 PM PST
Yeah. My gaming pc has XP and no way am I going to buy Windows 7 just to play this. I would lose compatibility with a lot of my games. So I guess I'm going to just get the console version.

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 2:58:58 PM PST
Jonathan A says:
Win7 Rocks!!!!

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 5:20:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2010 8:29:52 PM PST
Yes, Windows 7 does rock, but I have no intention of shelling out a hundred bucks to upgrade my gaming PC to it. SE/Eidos has real nerve to pull a stunt like this; according to the Steam hardware survey, 51% of Steam users can't use DX10 anyway, so they're cutting out a huge number of people. I can't stand it when companies and PC gaming enthusiasts think that everyone should have to constantly upgrade their PC to play the newest games; some people can't afford it. They know that a lot of people avoided Vista based on the bug reports, and 7 is only a few months old. What makes this really inexcusable, though, is that this is also a 360 game, and the 360 uses DX9, proving that the game definitely could run on XP.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 8:38:29 AM PST
J1M_288 says:
Wtf? I've never been a PC gamer but I've recently seen a lot of new releases that totally insult the PC gaming community. This is just messed up... >:(.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 1:28:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2010 1:38:36 PM PDT
Vappour says:
Talk about "shooting yourself in the foot." Does this developer WANT to lose money going in? Fortunately, this is a GFWL game so I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway, but I sure hope we don't see more of this -- especially while upgrades are still being supported for XP (mostly security). (Why do I get the feeling Microsoft had something to do with this?)

Edit: There seems to be a conflict. Under "platform" above it says that Vista/XP are supported (Vista and Windows 7 are similar). However, under the system requirements chart, it says XP is not supported. Weird.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 9:27:02 AM PDT
ec0n0mist says:
This is just stupid, I would not give up ability to play HoMM3 to play this. Whomever had an idea to discriminate against XP users deserves to jump of a cliff. Something tells me that we'll see a lot of similar products in near future.

Posted on Mar 20, 2010 7:47:39 PM PDT
Ben Udashen says:
Its not GFW live. It uses steam works. Its just GFW branded. There's a difference. I think its dumb, but thats how it goes.

It is a bummer that it requires dx10. However, we are going to have to accept that fact that eventually XP will be an outdated os, and that dx10 hardware and software will be necessary just as has happened in the past. XP is almost 9 years old. One will need to upgrade eventually.

Posted on Mar 23, 2010 5:22:06 PM PDT
R. Rodgers says:
It's probably MS's way of "moving us into the future." Also, GFWL is quite unpopular so I hope it dies (or something) because it has absolutely nothing to compete with Steam. Nice to see as many game releases as possible without it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2010 6:47:57 PM PDT
Which games would you lose compatability with, out of curiosity? I'm using Win 7 64 bit, and I have had almost no trouble.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 2:01:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2010 7:29:04 PM PDT
Not supporting XP or DX9 is not some grand scheme by anyone to move us into the future. They are dated and had a great run with so many great games, but technology has moved on. If MS wanted to push us to get windows 7 so much why do it with Just Cause 2? Why not meake a deal with Bioware, Blizzard, Activision, etc. who sell a lot more PC games?

Hopefully we get better games with DX10 and Win 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2010 1:22:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2010 1:23:39 PM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
I doubt that it would had been so hard to make the game both DX9 AND DX10/DX11 compatible.
And JUST CAUSE 2 is not even DX11 compatible! What future? DX10 has already been bypassed by most developers.

If the Ukrainians of 4A GAMES could do it with METRO 2033 (DX9,10&11!), I am betting the Swedes of AVALANCHE STUDIOS could do it as well if they were so inclined.
But they were either cutting corners or made a deal with MICROSOFT to promote Win7 that are still unpopular with gamers.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 6:01:31 AM PDT
jt says:
I dont see why you guys are complaining if you really want to play this game buy an oem of win 7 and call it a day or just wait another 2 to 3 years when your P4 dies and you have to buy a new computer. I would rather a game not support XP and use dx10 or dx11 and actually make it look decent then another port from the 360 that looks like crap and runs like crap. Clearly the company thinks they will not lose enough sale from not making it dx9. I played the demo on steam.... the game seems fun and looks rather well for another gta rip I might buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 7:24:22 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
JUST CAUSE 2 is a STEAM only game. And 40% of STEAM users refuse to part with their WinXP because they are compatible with our favorite older games. What could be the possible excuse for excluding them from your potential clients pool?

Any executive making such an obvious mistake better have his or her reasons.
But I am betting on the usual suspect - a MICROSOFT deal.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 9:36:04 AM PDT
jt says:
Ummm I do not have a problem running my older xp games on my win 7....If microsoft wanted to promo this game wouldnt they have made the company support dx11 since win7 supports dx11 and its their newest os out. This game was supposed to be released in xmas of 08 then was pushed back till now. Considering edios and Avalanche that made this game(finacial problems and the such), they probably just wanted to get it out and start making money on it considering it went year+ over production. I for one are glad companies are starting to move away from dx9 even if its a ms deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 9:50:25 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
Yes, DX9 is one of the few drawbacks of WinXP, and as more DX10/11-only games get released this becomes more evident. And, of course, I can only hypothesize what the real reasons behind such a bad decision could be.

If EIDOS and AVALANCE were in such dire financial trouble, it would make even more sense to try to include as many potential customers as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 10:21:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 3, 2012 2:44:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 11:14:51 AM PDT
jt says:
Supposely this just uses Steam as it DRM not GFWL.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 12:33:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 3, 2012 2:44:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 11:58:32 AM PDT
T^n^S says:
Its time to move on from Win XP folks. Its a 10 year old operating system. Windows 7 aint Vista. Dont let a bad experience with gaming on Vista deter you from Windows 7.

I am running the original Unreal Tournament from 1999 on Windows 7 - 64 bit. Runs like a freaking champ without any tweaking whatsoever. Crysis runs great, Need for Speed run great, etc....etc..

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 9:34:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 28, 2010 9:57:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 3:00:38 PM PDT
M. Chavez says:
WOW I was just getting ready to buy this game when I realized that XP was not supported....I personally love STEAM and I think Windows 7 rocks as well. I am just not ready to upgrade yet. So I guess some other game will get my money today
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Just Cause 2 - PC forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Just Cause 2 - PC
Just Cause 2 - PC by Square Enix (Windows Vista / XP)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (268)