How to use with Windows 7 PC? Has anyone succeeded in using this headset with a Windows 7 PC?

I bought this headset to listen to audio from my PC, as an alternative to the built-in speakers. My PC is a Dell laptop with built-in Bluetooth. I thought linking up the headset would be a piece of cake, but it seems to be very difficult. If anyone has succeeded, I love to know how!
asked by T. J. Schaefer on February 26, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 answers
A
I seem to have answered my own question. I finally got this headset set up so I can listen to sound from my Windows 7 laptop. It took me many hours of effort. In hope of sparing others this trauma, I will describe what I did.

First, a summary of the problem. I have a Dell Inspiron Window 7 laptop with built-in Bluetooth. The built-in Bluetooth module is described as "Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module." I want to be able to listen to audio from my laptop using this headset instead of the laptop's built-in speakers. On my first attempt to pair the headset with my laptop, the headset was recognized as a Bluetooth device, but it was not recognized as a sound output device, so there was no way to connect to it and have sound on the headset.

One thing that tripped me up on the way to a solution was that I was not clear about how to put my headset into pairing mode. I falsely assumed that the blue light around the call button was indication that it was in pairing mode. When I tried to pair, my computer told me the pairing had failed because of an "authentication error." In fact, it failed because the headset was not in pairing mode. To put the headset in pairing mode, you must first hold down the call button, and while holding it down, tiurn on the power switch of the headset, and continue holding the call button down for at least 4 seconds.

With that confusion cleared up, the key to getting it to work was to download the right driver software to replace the bluetooth drivers that came with the computer. Here are the steps that worked for me:

1. Click on this link
http://www.iogear.com/support/driver/BT_Vista_7_v6.3.0.7500.zip
A box will appear asking if you want to save the file or open it with Windows Explorer. Choose the latter.

2. When it finishes downloading, you will see a Windows Explorer window containing a file folder labeled "BT_Vista_7_v6.3.0.7500". Drag that folder onto your desktop. (It will take a few seconds as it copies the data to your desktop.) You can then close the Windows Explorer window.

3. Delete the existing Bluetooth software on your computer. The steps to do this are:
a) In the Windows Start box type "device manager" followed by return. This will open the Device Manager window.
b) In the list of devices, you will see "Bluetooth Radios". (If you don't see that, you don't have Bluetooth software so can skip this step.) Click on the little triangle to the left of this item to expand it. You will see two items, one of which is "Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module". (This will vary depending on what kind of Bluetooth hardware your computer has.) Right-click that item and select "uninstall" A box comes up asking you to confirm you want to uninstall. There is a little check-box to check if you want to actually delete the existing software. I checked this check-box and told it to proceed with the uninstall. It did this and the Bluetooth item disappears from the list of devices.

4. Now on your desktop, double-click the folder "BT_Vista_7_v6.3.0.7500". In the window that opens, there is a file called "Setup.exe". Double-click on that. It will then take you through the steps of installing the new Bluetooth software.

5. If your headset is still listed as a Bluetooth device, remove it. The steps to do this are:
a) Click the little triangle near the right end of the system tray to show "hidden icons".
b) One of the hidden icons which it shows is a Bluetooth symbol (a stylized letter B). Click that, and from the menu that pops up select "Show Bluetooth Devices".
c) In the window that opens, you should see your headset. Click on it to select it, then at the top of the window click "Remove device". Confirm that you want to remove it, and it goes away.

5. In the same window, click "Add device". Quickly put the headset into pairing mode, as described above. The headset should be detected and display in the window. Click on it to select it, then click on "Next" to proceed with the pairing. If all goes well the headset will be successfully paired. At that point, you can double click on the headset (in the same "show bluetooth devices" window) and -- lo and behold -- a window comes up that lets you connect to the headset as a sound output device. Click "connect" and sound from your computer will come through your headset.

You can now delete the "BT_Vista_7_v6.3.0.7500" folder from your desktop if you want.

I've done my best to describe these steps in detail, but it's partly from memory because I'm not going to go through all this again myself. You should be aware that there is always a certain amount of danger in modifying system software. There is danger that you will get a step wrong and not know how to recover. If you don't have any experience in downloading and installing software, it would be a good idea to get some help from someone who does.

Note: I'm not sure step 3 is necessary. Presumably the installer of the new Bluetooth will delete the old, but I would rather be safe and do it myself.
T. J. Schaefer answered on February 29, 2012
Comments (10) | 51 of 55 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can also install the Lenovo upgraded bluetooth drivers at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014997. Once this is done, there's no need for the BT_Vista software.
Daniel C. Graham answered on March 6, 2012
Comment | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Para los que logran asociar los audifonos pero no aparecen en la lista de los dispositivos y no pueden vincularlos realmente con el PC.
La solucion para usuarios de Windows 7 de 64Bits, Descargar al pack de Driver y Stacks de el siguiente Link http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/download/15160/, solo deben instalar, reiniciar el Pc y Listo Asociarlos usando el software instalado.

For those who cant install the headset with PC on windows, Just download driver and stack from http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/download/15160/, install, reboot, add device using installed software, Done. Works perfectly on windows 7. Dont Give up.

Colombia, Dell n5110, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits.
Sergio I. Angarita C answered on September 18, 2012
Comments (5) | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I occasionally experience a short, fraction-of-a-second break in the audio for no apparent reason when listening to audio from my laptop. It's not really a problem for me. I'd say it happens at most once every fifteen minutes.

A bigger problem, which has happened to me a couple of times, is that the audio suddenly stops and reverts to the computer speakers, and then when I look on the computer it is as if the bluetooth device and drivers simply aren't there. To get them back, I have to restart my computer. I found a discussion on another web site about a problem similar to this, where it was recommended that I go into Device Manager and turn off power management on USB root hubs. I did that, and since then this problem has not occurred (knock on wood).
T. J. Schaefer answered on March 26, 2012
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks T. J. Schaefer! It worked perfectly. I did have to go in under sound settings to change my default audio device, but I'm up and running now. :)
J. Miller answered on June 14, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you so much for your instructions and post on the msdn forums that linked back here. Why MSFT doesn't include native A2DP support in Windows 7 or any previous version of their OS is beyond me. Bluetooth is not really a 'new' technology anymore! Thanks again, TJ!

-sent from a software engineer happily listening to Pandora via my HBS700 headset on my Lenovo T420
James R Wight answered on March 4, 2012

A
I just wanted to thank you! I had "newer" drivers than this and the would not work! I used your method and it turned out perfect. Thank you so much. I hope you are happy knowing your headache has saved many others :)
Amazon Customer answered on March 20, 2012

A
So I've tried everything above and they did not work for me, however after few hours of searching I found a solution that works.

check out the following link;

http://superuser.com/questions/23774/how-do-i-play-audio-through-a-bluetooth-headset-in-windows-7

The solution worked on my Acer Aspire laptop, running windows 8.

Hope it helps.
Avinash answered on September 28, 2012

A
This worked for me also. I accidentally missed step 3, but it found the headset anyway. I had trouble getting it to connect (right click on headset in bluetooth device menu -> Control then pushing the connect button), but after a couple off/on cycles of the headset and hitting the connect button after turning on, it finally connected and now I have music playing. Thanks to OP for solution.
Mike answered on October 25, 2012

A
I downloaded the drivers that Daniel Graham posted below (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014997). After installing the driver and modifying some of my sound settings, this worked perfectly on my Thinkpad W530. I'm able to listen to audio and make/take VOIP calls on my laptop.
Amazon Customer answered on February 3, 2014
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product