5.0 out of 5 stars I think I'm in love!
Published on June 24, 2000 by Melissa

1.0 out of 5 stars What Happened?
I have been reading Mercedes Lackey since her first Valdemar book, Arrows of the Queen, was published. I own print copies of everything she has written and absolutely love her work. She is, bar none, my favorite fantasy author.

Published on March 28, 2011 by Joyce Wetherbee

1.0 out of 5 stars What Happened?, March 28, 2011

However, I was really hoping that when her books were digitized for Kindle, the errors in the print versions would have been corrected, especially since I made a point of making a list of them, by the book, page and paragraph for the entire series and sending it to the editor at Penguin. It has become painfully obvious that hasn't happened. Not only were the corrections not made before the books were digitized, but there are even more, and worse errors in the Kindle versions of her books. I think it's past time she found a new publisher, or perhaps for her publisher to replace their proofreading department.

The errors in the ebooks are severe and far more numerous. I seriously regret the money I spent to download them. In some places, I had to unpack my print copies to figure out what was supposed to be there. Misspellings of character names, numbers used in place of italicized words are just the tip of the errors in these books. As much as I love Mercedes Lackey and Valdemar, I won't be purchasing any more of her books for Kindle. There's no excuse for selling a book that hasn't been properly proofread. Errors do not make for an enjoyable reading experience. It's too bad that such an amazing author is so poorly taken care of by her publisher.

The stories are excellent, an enjoyable read and a wonderful escape from reality. She has created a world that rich in diversity and completely believable. If you aren't bothered by errors and can figure out what should have been there in some places, by all means, buy the Kindle version of her books. However, if numerous spelling, punctuation and other egregious errors really create an unpleasant reading experience for you, don't waste your money on the digital version of her books. Although there are still numerous errors in the print versions, they are fewer and it is much easier to know what is going on. You won't find places where a jumble of letters that make no sense take the place of text written by Mercedes Lackey.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I'm in love!, June 24, 2000
This review is from: Winds of Change (The Mage Winds, Book 2) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is my favorite book of all time. In the book, Elspeth has traveled long and far to finally find someone to tutor her in the use of her magic, which she plans on bringing home to the defense of her people against the tyrant ruler (Ancar) of their neighboring country. She finally found the mythical Taledras and found one who was willing to tutor her even as he himself relearns magic. This is a beautiful, winding book of action, romance, love, hatred, jelously, humor, and oh so much more. I fell in love with the characters even as the book drew me deeper within. Warning: This book will keep you up late at night, reading into the unholy hours of the morning! If you want a series to read, this is the one (if you are into this genre of reading). I would suggest you first read "Winds of Fate", then this book, then the last in this series. If you aren't already hooked on Valdemar, you will be! Any other Heralds of Valdemar out there, feel free to email me (starstorm_03@yahoo.com)! Hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elspeth and Darkwind's journey continues, December 9, 2002
In Valdemar, Princess Elspeth is the heir to the throne and a herald, but in K'Sheyna Vale, she's just another mage in training. After becoming members of the Hawkbrothers, Elspeth and the ex-theif Skif part ways momentarily to complete their own tasks. Elspeth is beginning to learn magic, and it's becoming obvious from the start that she has it in spades. Her teacher, Darkwind, finds himself facing the challenge of teaching a slightly uppity (and not to mention attractive) woman while relearning much of the magic he swore never to use again.
Meanwhile Skif and Wintermoon, Darkwind's brother, start too look for Nyara, the changechild of whom Skif is still quite smitten with. Nyara is also the newest wielder of the sword Need. It appears that Need is the only one that can help her become independent of her father, the cruel adept, Morenlithe Falconsbane. who is planning on striking again soon. He will stop at nothing from stealing the power of the Vale's heartsone. Elspeth, Darkwind, and the other mages of K'Sheyna Vale know they must stop him but they know that he's impossible to defeat alone.
This book was just as good, if not better that Wind of Fate. The first book in the trilogy was merely warming us up for the thrills you'll find in this one. There are many good parts about this book. Me being a closet hopeless romantic, love to watch the mere attraction between Darkwind and Elspeth grow into something possible more. I can't wait to see what happens to them in the next book. The character Nyara, who almost annoyed me through certain parts of the first book, really grows in leaps and bounds in this one. She's now one of my newest favorite characters. I'm also pleased to see Elspeth calm down a bit in this one. Her character is also turning out wonderfully. This is an amazing book filled with many twists and turns and memorable scenes. If you've read the first book I highly recommend reading this one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fantasy!, July 29, 1999
By A Customer
After reading Winds of Fate, I couldn't help but read this book. Although Elspeth's aggrevated attitude started to get to me after a while in Winds of Fate, she began to go through a transition in this book, becomming someone I could actually relate to! I still love Darkwind as I did in the first book, and finding out that Firesong was...not as he seemed made my jaw drop! An exciting, multi-faceted, and altogether wonderful fantasy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but Kindle edition NOT proofread..., November 14, 2011
I am enjoying this story a lot, but the e-book version has NOT been proofread for OCR scan problems, and there are MANY. I also noted this in the first book of the Mage Winds trilogy. For example, on the page I'm currently reading there is "winmamge-bamer" which I assume through context should be "with mage-barrier", and "housmuses" which took me forever to figure out should be "hothouse." The brain can only easily translate so much error. And it's even worse with the non-english words such as the race "Hertasi", which I've seen several variants of. I do enjoy having the e-reader option of older titles, but I worry about the rush to make them available without quality control...

3.0 out of 5 stars For Kindle edition, December 30, 2010
While I have an opinion about this book, this review is regarding the kindle edition. I have never seen a book so poorly edited prior to publishing. It was as if they had a machine transcribe the book and performed no review to ensure the quality before making the transcription available for purchase. There are spelling errors, nonsensical punctuation, format issues, as well a other problems with the text. For a writer or editor, these issues were incredibly distracting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly Mangled, March 11, 2012
Elizabeth A. Denton (Monticello, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
I was delighted to get a digital version of this much-beloved book, but my pleasure in it was short-lived. A few typos in a book don't mar the story, but this particular ebook has so many that it makes reading very challenging, if not impossible. I see that I'm not the only one who has complained, so I'd really like to know why Amazon hasn't contacted the publisher to arrange for corrections and replacement. This is the second time I've paid for this book, after all, and I'd like the reading experience to compare.

3.0 out of 5 stars E-Reader Version Doesn't Live Up, December 26, 2011
I read this in hard copy and bought it for my kindle so I could reread one of my favorite Valdemar books. However, approximately every twentieth word with the letter r is spelled incorrectly with some words so garbled as to be incomprehensible. Having to draw back on my knowledge from previous readings seriously detracts from my enjoyment of an otherwise amazing book. Long story short: don't buy the e-version. Zero star rating compared to a five star book.

4.0 out of 5 stars SHOCKINGLY BAD TRANSCRIPTION, December 24, 2011
olydix (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
The Kindle edition has the worst transcription errors that I have ever seen. Many of them are so bad that it is impossible to parse what the text should be. Why is this so difficult for publishers to fix? I bet if they didn't want to spend staff time proofreading they could get readers to volunteer for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, but too many typos!, December 21, 2011
I have been a Mercedes Lackey fan for quite a long time and have enjoyed a number of her books. This particular trilogy is one that I hadn't read before but really wanted to. I was rather annoyed to find that only the second book of the trilogy is available for the Kindle. I found another copy of the first to read and was looking forward to purchasing the second for my Kindle.

I really enjoyed the story, but the version is riddled with typos. Misspelled words on almost every page, lazy capitalization and punctuation, random words in bold font, confusing use of italics. The worst I have ever seen. I absolutely regret paying full price for a book that is so horribly typed.

This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend the entire trilogy. However, I recommend you save your money and buy a hard copy instead.

Winds of Change (The Mage Winds, Book 2)
Winds of Change (The Mage Winds, Book 2) by Mercedes Lackey (Mass Market Paperback - August 1, 1993)
$7.99 $6.96