Winds of Change (The Mage Winds, Book 2)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 28, 2011
I have been reading Mercedes Lackey since her first Valdemar book, Arrows of the Queen, was published. I own print copies of everything she has written and absolutely love her work. She is, bar none, my favorite fantasy author.

However, I was really hoping that when her books were digitized for Kindle, the errors in the print versions would have been corrected, especially since I made a point of making a list of them, by the book, page and paragraph for the entire series and sending it to the editor at Penguin. It has become painfully obvious that hasn't happened. Not only were the corrections not made before the books were digitized, but there are even more, and worse errors in the Kindle versions of her books. I think it's past time she found a new publisher, or perhaps for her publisher to replace their proofreading department.

The errors in the ebooks are severe and far more numerous. I seriously regret the money I spent to download them. In some places, I had to unpack my print copies to figure out what was supposed to be there. Misspellings of character names, numbers used in place of italicized words are just the tip of the errors in these books. As much as I love Mercedes Lackey and Valdemar, I won't be purchasing any more of her books for Kindle. There's no excuse for selling a book that hasn't been properly proofread. Errors do not make for an enjoyable reading experience. It's too bad that such an amazing author is so poorly taken care of by her publisher.

The stories are excellent, an enjoyable read and a wonderful escape from reality. She has created a world that rich in diversity and completely believable. If you aren't bothered by errors and can figure out what should have been there in some places, by all means, buy the Kindle version of her books. However, if numerous spelling, punctuation and other egregious errors really create an unpleasant reading experience for you, don't waste your money on the digital version of her books. Although there are still numerous errors in the print versions, they are fewer and it is much easier to know what is going on. You won't find places where a jumble of letters that make no sense take the place of text written by Mercedes Lackey.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2000
This book is my favorite book of all time. In the book, Elspeth has traveled long and far to finally find someone to tutor her in the use of her magic, which she plans on bringing home to the defense of her people against the tyrant ruler (Ancar) of their neighboring country. She finally found the mythical Taledras and found one who was willing to tutor her even as he himself relearns magic. This is a beautiful, winding book of action, romance, love, hatred, jelously, humor, and oh so much more. I fell in love with the characters even as the book drew me deeper within. Warning: This book will keep you up late at night, reading into the unholy hours of the morning! If you want a series to read, this is the one (if you are into this genre of reading). I would suggest you first read "Winds of Fate", then this book, then the last in this series. If you aren't already hooked on Valdemar, you will be! Any other Heralds of Valdemar out there, feel free to email me (starstorm_03@yahoo.com)! Hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!
on December 9, 2002
In Valdemar, Princess Elspeth is the heir to the throne and a herald, but in K'Sheyna Vale, she's just another mage in training. After becoming members of the Hawkbrothers, Elspeth and the ex-theif Skif part ways momentarily to complete their own tasks. Elspeth is beginning to learn magic, and it's becoming obvious from the start that she has it in spades. Her teacher, Darkwind, finds himself facing the challenge of teaching a slightly uppity (and not to mention attractive) woman while relearning much of the magic he swore never to use again.
Meanwhile Skif and Wintermoon, Darkwind's brother, start too look for Nyara, the changechild of whom Skif is still quite smitten with. Nyara is also the newest wielder of the sword Need. It appears that Need is the only one that can help her become independent of her father, the cruel adept, Morenlithe Falconsbane. who is planning on striking again soon. He will stop at nothing from stealing the power of the Vale's heartsone. Elspeth, Darkwind, and the other mages of K'Sheyna Vale know they must stop him but they know that he's impossible to defeat alone.
This book was just as good, if not better that Wind of Fate. The first book in the trilogy was merely warming us up for the thrills you'll find in this one. There are many good parts about this book. Me being a closet hopeless romantic, love to watch the mere attraction between Darkwind and Elspeth grow into something possible more. I can't wait to see what happens to them in the next book. The character Nyara, who almost annoyed me through certain parts of the first book, really grows in leaps and bounds in this one. She's now one of my newest favorite characters. I'm also pleased to see Elspeth calm down a bit in this one. Her character is also turning out wonderfully. This is an amazing book filled with many twists and turns and memorable scenes. If you've read the first book I highly recommend reading this one as well.
on November 14, 2011
I am enjoying this story a lot, but the e-book version has NOT been proofread for OCR scan problems, and there are MANY. I also noted this in the first book of the Mage Winds trilogy. For example, on the page I'm currently reading there is "winmamge-bamer" which I assume through context should be "with mage-barrier", and "housmuses" which took me forever to figure out should be "hothouse." The brain can only easily translate so much error. And it's even worse with the non-english words such as the race "Hertasi", which I've seen several variants of. I do enjoy having the e-reader option of older titles, but I worry about the rush to make them available without quality control...
on July 29, 1999
After reading Winds of Fate, I couldn't help but read this book. Although Elspeth's aggrevated attitude started to get to me after a while in Winds of Fate, she began to go through a transition in this book, becomming someone I could actually relate to! I still love Darkwind as I did in the first book, and finding out that Firesong was...not as he seemed made my jaw drop! An exciting, multi-faceted, and altogether wonderful fantasy!
on October 21, 2002
Heralds Elspeth and Skif have journeyed far from their native Valdemar in search of mages to protect against the dark forces of Ancar of Hardorn. Their search has taken them to the Vale of the Tayledras Clan k'Sheyna, where they have been made Wingsibs of the Clan. Thus, Elspeth begins her mage training under the tutelage of a Tayledras scout and former Adept, Darkwind, and two gryphons, Treyvan and Hydona.
But an evil force is lurking in the Uncleansed Lands, a Dark Adept that will stop at nothing to destroy the Tayledras through the rogue Heartstone he has created. Will Elspeth and Darkwind be able to stop him before it is too late?
"Winds of Change" is the second book in Mercedes Lackey's Mage Winds Trilogy. I really enjoyed it and went through it very quickly. There was lots of action and rarely a dull moment. The love scenes were sweet and not overly graphic, and thus lightened the mood and allowed more intimate glimpses into the characters involved.
Lackey is so good at creating a thoroughly, convincingly real world that the reader feels like he or she has actually been there. It is a real treat to read her books. I feel like I go somewhere completely new and different each time I start another of her books.
The characters are absolutely wonderful as well, especially Darkwind. He is one of my favorite Lackey characters, and I greatly look forward to finding out what will become of him in the next book. "Winds of Change" completely changed my attitude towards Elspeth. She has never been one of my favorites (the only thing that really got me through "Winds of Fate" was Darkwind), but she really started to mature and grow finto someone I really respected and liked in this book.
As with "Winds of Fate," "Winds of Change" is filled with Tayledras characters. So if you like the Tayledras, this is a must read.
Don't get me wrong. I really loved this book, but there were a few small things that bothered me about it. First, Skif and Nyara's relationship. It is just too weird for me and almost too scripted. Like, how did he know that he truly loved her and wasn't just falling for the spells put on her? It just never came off as being as realistic as the rest of the book did. Second, Mornelithe Falconsbane's evilness. He is just too evil. It seems to me that Mercedes Lackey tends to make her villains very one-sided and so unexplainably evil that there is no way the reader can feel sorry for them. I'm just one of those people who likes to be able find the cause for the evilness so that I can better understand why a villain is the way he or she is.
Bottom Line: A nice addition to the Valdemar series and another absolute treat for my fellow Tayledras lovers out there. Make sure that you read "Winds of Fate" first!
on June 27, 2002
The Mage Winds trilogy is perfection. I have never reread anything as many times as I have read Elspeth's story - and this comes from someone who knows nearly every book she owns by heart, and who's books are so well loved and frequently read that they fall apart. All three are covered thickly with packing tape to keep them in some semblance of being in one piece. If you have any love of magic, read them. If you have any love of adventure, read them. If you have any degree of love of romance, humor, action, or intrigue, read them. Misty was able to rise to the difficult task of meeting the incredible story of Talia, and she achieved what could have been impossible - she rose above.
I am a HUGE fan of all of Misty's Valdemar books - read them all! These three, however, are the ones I started with and the ones that got me hooked.
on December 21, 2011
I have been a Mercedes Lackey fan for quite a long time and have enjoyed a number of her books. This particular trilogy is one that I hadn't read before but really wanted to. I was rather annoyed to find that only the second book of the trilogy is available for the Kindle. I found another copy of the first to read and was looking forward to purchasing the second for my Kindle.

I really enjoyed the story, but the version is riddled with typos. Misspelled words on almost every page, lazy capitalization and punctuation, random words in bold font, confusing use of italics. The worst I have ever seen. I absolutely regret paying full price for a book that is so horribly typed.

This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend the entire trilogy. However, I recommend you save your money and buy a hard copy instead.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
"Winds of Change" was much better than "Winds of Fate," and I wish the former, rather than the latter, had been the start of the "Mage Winds" trilogy.
I know this flies in the face of just about every other reviewer here. Bear with me, please.
In the first book, "Winds of Fate," Elspeth, heir to the throne of Valdemar, had gone off to find some mages, because Valdemar was in grave danger, and it had none. Along the way, she found out that *she* was a mage, and prospectively very, very powerful; she also regressed quite a bit from how she'd been previously drawn in "By the Sword" and the "Arrows" trilogy.
Darkwind, in the first book, started off as an ex-mage and had to take up the mantle of magecraft again, because his clan, K'Sheyna, was in grave danger, and most of the mages were tapped out.
The thing is, if I'd read this book alone, I'd have liked it better. Darkwind and Elspeth are drawn to be much more sympathetic characters in this book. They have interests outside magecraft, and we see a bit of that. We also see Gwena finally getting her comeuppance (in the first book, Gwena, Elspeth's Companion, really raised Hell because she tried to coerce Elspeth into doing things, rather than asking or explaining anything). And we see more about Treyvan and Hydona, as well as more from Nyara and Skif.
Nyara really starts to come into her own, here. Without her efforts, Mornelithe Falconsbane (the big bad guy) would not be put down at the end of this book. And, without Treyvan and Hydona, the book would lose quite a bit of light, laughter, and love, as their successful romance foreshadows both Darkwind and Elspeth's eventual pairing-off and Skif and Nyara's as well.
The thing is, like I said before, it's *not* the first book in a trilogy. It's the second. And, as such, I have to go off the first book, or this book would make no sense whatsoever.
So, much as I like this book, and would like to give it a higher rating, I feel in good conscience I can't. So, I'm giving it three and a half stars, and would definitely recommend it -- with the extremely grudging addition that, without "Winds of Fate," this book will make little to no sense.
on March 11, 2012
I was delighted to get a digital version of this much-beloved book, but my pleasure in it was short-lived. A few typos in a book don't mar the story, but this particular ebook has so many that it makes reading very challenging, if not impossible. I see that I'm not the only one who has complained, so I'd really like to know why Amazon hasn't contacted the publisher to arrange for corrections and replacement. This is the second time I've paid for this book, after all, and I'd like the reading experience to compare.