Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Diary|Change

on December 1, 2009
I've taught wine appreciation for several years and have a reasonably successful wine education podcast. I've urged students to take notes about the wines they try because it helps the learning process. There are any number of ways to do this, but many students find it helpful to have a pre-printed form to guide them.

I discovered the DeLong Wine Tasting Note form some time ago and it immediately became my top choice. I've passed it out to students, used it in my own tasting group, and more. The form is just about perfect, and I'm a huge fan. Not only is it pre-printed, it offers you choices that you can circle (e.g. color: youthful, some age, aged). I use these forms all the time. I may not be a beginner, but I really like having a uniform way to write notes and descriptions for wines.

I didn't know it at the time I acquired this notebook, but the pages inside are the tasting note form I rave about. This alone makes the notebook a perfect tool for the wine student--whether beginner, advanced, or expert.

What makes this notebook a solid winner is its inserts. There are two copies (at least in mine) of a quarter-folded page with information on both sides. One side contains a version of a wine aroma wheel, broken down by category (e.g. tree fruits, citrus fruits) with examples (e.g. apple) and wines that commonly feature the aroma (e.g. Riesling). The other side features a detailed explanation of how to taste wine and use the tasting note form in a meaningful way. The fact that these pages are sort of laminated yet take up very little space is the icing on the cake.

Right now, I cannot imagine using any other tasting notebook, and I would call it a "required text" for any wine appreciation course.
on April 19, 2010
The first part of this little book is a discussion of wine tasting linked to the forms that make up the bulk of the book. While the discussion is intersting and may be useful to someone with very little knowledge of wine, there are other, better books for the purpose of helping a wine drinker learn to taste and appreciate.

The bulk of the book is made up of blank tasting forms. These forms are among the best that I've seen to help a wine drinker really reflect on and capture thoughts on a particular wine. In terms of the layout of the forms and the information presented (or requested), this book succeeds admirably. However, I have to question the practicaility of the book. While these forms may work for a wine tasting in the home, how many people are going to carry the form with them, let alone carry the whole book? As we've moved to more digital-based lives (hello, iPhone), I'm afraid that carrying a wine-tasting form or a book of forms may be a bit ... um ... 20th Century? That said, if these forms were offered in an iPhone application, I would probably be very quick to buy that app.

Finally, at the end of the book are a series of simple tasting terms broken down by large categories and with references to wine to which the terms might apply. At first, I sort of brushed these pages aside, but upon greater reflection, I realized that they are a very important part of the book and can be very useful to help a wine drinker begin to accumulate a vocabulary to use to describe wines. These pages are a sort of underappreciated gem hidden in the back of the book.

So, while I think highly of the forms and the tasting terms (less so the introduction), I'm just not sure that in the era of smartphones this book is terribly practical. I'd rate the forms themselves and the tasting terms with 5 stars, but the difficulty in actually "using" the book forces me to subtract from this rating. If you only want to taste wines at home or don't mind carrying this small book with you, then this book might be a good purchase. If you're new to wine and don't mind carrying the book, then this may be an absolute "must buy".
on July 19, 2008
This little book packs so much information in such a small space. And the tasting chart is very comprehensive, almost better then the wine wheel. Yes, you could do all that this book holds on your own, in your own notebook, but it's all here, EVERYTHING you need, in one spot. Love it. Got one as a gift for a wine lover too.
on December 28, 2009
Five years ago, I knew very little about wine. Red or white, that is about the extent of what I knew. Today, I run a woman's wine and dine group based out of Baltimore. I don't have enough good things to say about the DeLong products, particularly this wine tasting notebook.

This tasting notebook does a great job of first explaining the components of the tasting. First the color hue, depth and clarity. Next, the aroma. Taste is broken down into dryness/sweetness, body, acidity, tannins, flavor intensity and finish. The notebook also provides space for info about food pairings. Not only can a wise wine lover appreciate the depth of this wine tasting notebook, but it gives wine novices a chance to learn why they really love or hate a wine.

I have taken this wine notebook with me on several wine tasting trips and every time, people ask me how they can buy one.

The real treat? A wonderful, color, pull-out of wine tasting terms. For example, what does it mean when someone describes a wine as floral? What does it mean if a wine is corked? I heard someone describe the terroir. What on "earth" is that? The bottom line: This wine tasting notebook is a wonderful steal and provides amazing insight into wine tasting terms that you hear being used every day.

You won't be disappointed by this wine tasting notebook. Buy one (or ten) for yourself or as gifts. Not only will it take your wine tasting to the next level, it will make everyone envious of you and everything you know about tastings.

Cheers,

Danielle R.
on April 14, 2014
If you need a log book because your memory might be a little soggy then this is the one you need. How many times have you found yourself thinking about that last great wine you had? Can you remember the one you liked before that? This little gem of a book has all you need to become the connoisseur you are. After a few entries in this, you surpass being a lush. It has great little hints on what flavors to expect and what you might be smelling,
I got this particular log book because many of the other ones had designated sections for styles. I don't drink rose and very little whites, why would I not use 40-50% book. This one has unmarked pages filled with the most pertinent information you should record. You just circle the closest term and write your opinions.
It is slim enough to fit in a coat pocket or whatever size purse is slightly bigger than a clutch.
on December 4, 2009
I've seen countless wine tasting journals and notebooks on the market over the years, but this one beats them all. I'm constantly taking notes about the wines I try and for lack of anything better, have always kept the notes in small spiral-bound books...small enough that they'd fit in my purse so they could come anywhere with me. What makes this notebook so different and so much better is that it simplifies the note taking process. I no longer have to start my notes with "brick red color, thin rim, tight nose, etc." because this has all the basic categories covered...you just need to circle the right one. For example, under "Color Hue" for white wines it has the following options: greenish, yellow, straw yellow, gold and amber. I can just mark one of those instead of having to write it all down. The same is true for the rest of these categories, which all come with options: Color Depth, Clarity, Aroma Intensity, Development, Dry/Sweet, Body, Acidity, Tannins, Flavor Intensity, Finish. In addition, it leaves room for you to take notes on specific aromas and flavors you detect. Not sure what it is you detect? The book has a big pull-out list of characteristics in the back, so you can figure out if that scent is perhaps vegetal (like asparagus) or maybe floral (like violets). And for the newbie wine enthusiasts, there's an entire introduction dedicated to explaining how best to take wine-tasting notes. This thing has it all! Period.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2009
Background: I am a winemaker for a boutique winery and I sell wines for a small California wine & spirit distributor.

Overall:
The book is very well thoughtout, excellent layout and a solid binding. The book is an excellent way for a person to learn how to evaluate wine into many critical areas. The methodology is simpler than the WSET wine evaluation method but is quite servicable especially if you do not do tastings everyday.

The forward to the tasting note section is helpful and informatative.

Wine note section: Each page will hold one tasting notes. So, if you do a lot of tasting, you will need many of these books -- a drawback. I would like to see small binder format that I could add replacement pages as needed. I would like to see the food pairing section have a bit more space to take notes in.

Summary:
This is a very good book to keep tasting notes in as well as learn about critical components to think about when evaluating wine.
on December 19, 2009
MY HUSBAND AND I AND A GROUP OF FRIENDS STARTED A WINE-TASTING GROUP FOUR YEARS AGO. WE ATTEND EVENTS TWO TO THREE TIMES A MONTH AND MEET AT ONE OF OUR HOMES ONCE A MONTH FOR DINNER & WINE. I WAS UNOFFICIALLY APPOINTED THE "KEEPER OF THE GRAPE", WHICH BECAME A BIGGER JOB THAT I EXPECTED. BEFORE I KNEW IT, I HAD A FOLDER WITH ABOUT 100 PIECES OF PAPER WITH MY WINE NOTES SCRIBBLED ON THEM--AND A BIG MESS! I PURCHASED SEVERAL DIFFERENT JOURNALS, BUT THEY WERE BIG AND BULKY AND HARD TO DEAL WITH WHEN YOU'RE HOLDING A GLASS OF WINE AND A PLATE OF FOOD!

DeLONG'S WINE TASTING NOTEBOOK IS SMALL ENOUGH THAT IT IS NOT ONLY EASY TO HANDLE BUT, ALSO, FULL OF INFORMATION THAT MAKES ME LOOK LIKE I KNOW A LOT MORE ABOUT WINE THAT I DO!!! THE BOOK TELLS ONE WHAT TO LOOK FOR AND WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DIFFERENT GRAPES. LOTS OF INFORMATION ON THE INTRODUCTION PAGES. EACH JOURNAL PAGE (THERE ARE OVER 150) TAKES YOU THROUGH THE SAME STEPS TO JUDGE EACH WINE. THIS MAKES IT SO EASY TO COMPARE ONE WINE TO ANOTHER AMD HAVE THE NOTES TO GO BACK TO. WE ARE ALWAYS ASKING EACH OTHER "WHAT WAS THAT WINE WE TRIED LAST MONTH THAT WAS SO GREAT (OR SO BAD)?" NOW I CAN JUST LOOK IT UP! AGAIN, MAKES ME LOOK GOOD!! I HAVE USED THE "WINE TASTING TERMS" WHICH ARE THE LAST TWO PAGES OF THE BOOK TO ASK REALLY GOOD QUESTIONS AND MAKE IMPRESSIVE COMMENTS.

A GREAT TOOL TO REALLY LEARN ABOUT DIFFERENT WINES AND ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE. THANKS!
on February 1, 2016
This is a great complement to the Wine Bible and helps newer tasters to hone their understanding of how wines express themselves thru your senses. If you are serious about becoming a sommelier then this is a great reference guide to help remind you of the multiple awareness that gives you clues for blind tastings. If you just enjoy drinking good wine and don't want to get too technical about acidity and tannins, forget this and just read the Wine Bible and learn about varietals and vintages and vintners and enjoy the wines.
on March 8, 2015
I live in No. California and have been enjoying the abundance of excellent wineries in all 4 compass points near my home, yet I have not been successful in finding a useful tasting notebook until now. I can understand why people say this booklet is the "best" among wine tasting books/forms. Everything is reduced to a well-organized list for you go down and fill as you are tasting a new wine. While there is space for you to add notes, the list/checklist pretty-much covers everything a beginner to wine snob will want to keep notes of. I will be ordering several sets to give out to our wine-tasting friends soon. I will also be buying the hardback to have more pages.