5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Thanksgiving present !
Published on November 23, 2010 by Marina B. B. Cunha

3.0 out of 5 stars Great basket, but NOT 5 pounds of food (3.1 pounds)
Published on November 23, 2011 by Cupcake

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great basket, but NOT 5 pounds of food (3.1 pounds), November 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, this is a really nice gift basket. The basket itself is sturdy and attractive stained wicker with nice hinged picnic handles. All of the food inside is yummy and nicely packaged. Even the bow is a nice sheer fabric bow. It doesn't go sky-high as in the picture--I think that's just to allow all the contents to show. And although gift baskets always seem wildly overpriced to me, this one's pretty reasonable, considering the quality of the contents (the biscotti in particular are excellent). You're probably be paying only about $10 more if you bought everything individually at a gourmet store (you'd save more from a nice grocery store).

HowEVER, the first point in the description says "nearly 5 pounds of pure delectable bliss."

While it may be delectable bliss, it is certainly NOT 5 pounds. It's actually just over 3 pounds, or 40% less in weight than the description. Since the description doesn't list individual weights, and the buyer only has that to go by, this is pretty important.

Here are the item weights:

5.4oz mint chocolates
2oz smoked almonds
4oz crackers
---
49.55 oz / 16 oz = 3.09 pounds

I'm guessing it's an honest mistake and someone unaccustomed to imperial weights might have seen 49.55 ounces and made a metric-like conversion to "nearly 5."

But there it is.

If they fix that description, I'd bump it up to 4 stars. Great basket, very nice food, pretty good value, but a wee bit too pricy for the full 5 stars. (If it actually were 5# of goodies, it would be a fantastic value and well worth 5 stars.)

Note: this review is based on a price of 69 bucks, but I saw one reviewer that paid 25. For 25, I'd call it a 5-star steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Thanksgiving present !, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Wine.com Elegant Extravaganza Gift Basket (Grocery)
As I live in Brazil and wanted to send a present to a dear friend in the USA, I checked all possible items that could made her pleased, and since she likes gourmet food and has good taste I needed to be careful. Her review for the Extravaganza Gift Basket was great, all items fresh and delicious, even the basket itself, together with a lovely ribbon, would be useful, she said. Excellent for fruits and or vegetables or just decoration. (I thought of newspaper or magazines). Will definitly send it again to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, tasty, and elegant, November 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I send a gift basket to someone, I want it to be:

- Classy: nice basket, nice packaging (I've seen baskets that are almost all packaging)
- Gourmet: high quality, some brand names that have a repuation for quality / being expensive - something that your giftee might not treat themselves with
- Fresh: chocolate isn't melted, everything is sealed and has the right texture
- Variety: Savory and sweet, crunchy and smooth, an ADVENTURE!

This gift basket fit the bill in most regards. It is a really nice variety of tasty items in a very classy presentation (note two things - the item doesn't arrive as pictured as the items are packed into the basket not on top of as shown, and the back box was a little scrunchied). Also, the items are interesting, but there aren't a lot of name brand gourmet items (which does keep the price down) or rare / exotic items (it's a US-products basket). This gift basket is a taste adventure, a fun indulgence of goodies that a friend or family member wouldn't necessarily treat themselves to. The basket is very sturdy, attractive, and reusable. This is a basket I send during the summer and say, "here's a picnic for you to take to your next trip to the park!" or in winter "grab a blanket and spread it out in front of the fireplace an enjoy an indoor winter picnic!".

Just keep in mind that in general all gift baskets, once unpacked, seem like a lot less. You really need to pay attention to listed weights when ordering - note that the total weight indicated in the description isn't equivalent to what is below.

Savory

Caramel popcorn (w/chocolate) - 6 oz
Ghiradelli chocolate squares - 5 oz
Chocolate chip cookies - 2 oz
Butter cookies - 4 oz

I always say to myself that I can do it cheaper, but by the time I run to TJMaxx and other places to get "exotic" items, get the basket, get the clear cellophane, box it up, and ship it...I've spent HOURS and it's 3/4 of the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Gift!, October 29, 2010
This review is from: Wine.com Elegant Extravaganza Gift Basket (Grocery)
What a wonderful response I got from my family when we sent this basket to them for a birthday. They said the presentation was gorgeous and that it was such a great surprise. All the foods go well with wine and let's face it - that's a plus!

I will purchase this again for other friends/family. Good price and well done!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Received, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Wine.com Elegant Extravaganza Gift Basket (Grocery)
I purchased this basket as a gift and it got rave reviews from the recipient. Everyone in the family found something they liked and "the kids scarfed down their favorites without even sharing" :-). You can't go wrong with this basket.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Nice Gift Basket, November 21, 2011
M. Lafferman (Baltimore, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Never having dealt with Wine.com I didn't really know what to expect as far as how their gift baskets would be. This was my first one with this company.

What a nice surprise this gift basket was! This was a very professional looking gift basket. It made a nice presentation. I would feel very comfortable in sending this to someone say for a holiday gift, or as a thank you, or just because.

To start, the gift basket had a nice green and gold bow wrapped around the basket. I plan on reusing the bow, and the gift basket, which is a darker brown, woven, with a handle on each side. I love baskets. I will definitely be finding a new use for this gift basket! It kind of reminded me of a picnic basket without the top. The basket is not too small, so I would think a person could find many uses for this basket. It looks very well made too.

Everything fit neatly inside. Everything in the gift basket was nicely arranged. Each box, package or can was colorful, very gourmet looking. The only item I recognized right off the bat was the Ghiradelli Dark and Mint Squares, 5.32 ounces, because I had purchased them before.

Here is a list of what was included in this gift basket.

1. Garlic and Herb Cheese wedges, box of six wedges. 4 ounces. I tried two of the wedges, good enough to eat by itself.

2. Beef Salami- 5 ounces. I plan to save this for when my dad comes to visit, along with the jar of Hot Sweet Mustard included.

3. Box of Aged Cheddar Cheese Straws- 2 ounces. I didn't care for these. They were too spicy for me. I just didn't care for these at all.

4. Box of Lemon Almond Biscotti- 8 ounces. I have had biscotti before, in many varieties. These are great with a good cup of tea or coffee.

5. The bag of Ghiradelli Dark and Mint Chocolate Squares I mentioned above, 5.32 ounces.

6. Bag of Chocolate Caramel Gourmet Popcorn- 6 ounces. I did try this. It was delicious. I had never had this kind of popcorn before with Chocolate Caramel. You can clearly see those pieces among the popcorn.

7. Box of Smoked Almonds- 2 ounces.

8. Box of Chocolate Chip Cookies- 2 ounces. These tasted more like shortbread cookies to me.

9. Box of Three Pepper Water Crackers- 4 0unces. I imagine that these crackers would go very well with either the salami or garlic and herb cheese wedges included.

10. Can of Honey Roasted Peanuts- 5 ounces. Fresh and tasty.

11. Box of Sweet Butter Cookies- 4.4 ounces. The box was alittle dented due to the fact that it was the furthest back in the gift basket.

Everything was nicely arranged. What I did try was very fresh. I loved looking at all of the different packaging, which was also very nice. It's not just about the product to me, but how it is presented too. Everything was nicely laid out in the gift basket, which did make the gift basket full, without empty spaces. None of the items were damaged.

The box that the gift basket came in had those air pillows, so that the basket was cushioned. Even the things that you would refrigerate were cool, so that nothing melted.

I thought the assortment had plenty of items to share, or to give someone as a small gift. I definitely think this kind of gift basket would be very nice to share, if you do decide to do so.

All in all Iam very pleased. I think most of the items included in this gift basket were generous in size, not just like a sample size. A good combination of both sweet and salty items.

When you order online you just hope that what you ordered will be as good as you read it would be when you get it. I have found very few items surpass that, but in this case this gift basket far exceeded my expectations.

I would glady order either this gift basket or others from Wine.com. Iam very pleased that my first encounter with this company was such a pleasant one. I will be sure to keep this company in mind should I need to send someone a gift basket, either as a gift or for myself.

A+++

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, but smaller than it looks, December 13, 2010
Dakar (Littleton, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wine.com Elegant Extravaganza Gift Basket (Grocery)
I sent this as a gift to a family of 4 and it only took them about an hour to eat all the stuff in it. The packages are small. I'm not going to buy these types of things from a picture again.

3.0 out of 5 stars With prime shipping, OK. Not great., February 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This gift basket might be a nice gift from a random business associate who thinks I'd like some gourmet snacks. The presentation is very pretty - a nice basket, well wrapped, with complementing colors. However, I feel like the people putting it together spent more time focusing on making sure everything color coordinated than picking tasty snacks. I'd MUCH rather have someone hand assemble a snack basket with some local, truly gourmet snacks for me.

Now, to the snacks:

Napa Mustard - pretty OK. It's not too spicy or too sweet, and went well with some pretzels we got at the store.
Butter Cookies - They're standard butter cookies. Fine, and tasted exactly how I expected them to. The box belies the scant amount of cookies you get, though.
Chocolate chip cookies - I didn't like these. They're shortbreadish in texture, very few chocolate chips, and not worth the calories.
Cheese sticks - At first bite, it's a cheddar cookie. Very strange texture. Though - cayenne pepper, hello! Lots of burn on the aftertaste.
Biscotti - If not for the almonds, they'd be useless. The almonds really brought these together and made them tasty.
Honey roasted nuts - They're honey roasted nuts. Nothing special.
Popcorn - The popcorn itself is meh. The chocolate covered parts though - oh man, that's delicious. Make more!
Smoked almonds - WAY too smoky.
Crackers - These are awesome. I LOVE them. I'd buy lots more.
Cheese - It's processed cheese in little wedges, exactly like Laughing Cow.
Salami - I don't eat meat, but it didn't look appetizing.
Chocolate - It's Ghirardelli. Good stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive gift basket, but not as weighty as described, November 25, 2011
JO (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not sure why, but I imagined that I would need to assemble this gift basket upon arrival. To my delight, it arrived protected by a sturdy box which was inside a larger amazon box. This was fortunate because the large box was delivered a bit crushed. When I opened the box for presentation at our Thanksgiving dinner, it took no time at all to remove the plastic covering that was wrapped around the entire filled basket. Didn't even need to remove the ribbon, simply pulled the plastic away from underneath. If you imagine the Wine.com photo, but subtract about 1/2 of the height, you have an idea of the true size. Another helpful visualization is to know that the jar of Napa mustard (one of my favorites) is the size of a small jam/jelly/honey/syrup jars you might receive from a hotel room service. We found the basket itself to be attractive and a keeper, but it will not be used for heavy objects since it's lightweight and the hinges are not strong. It will be great for a light produce display at the farmers market. Resting upon shredded brown paper with crumbled brown paper at the base are the food items which are almost all from California and in green packaging. The Angelina's cookies are packed in Indonesia but distributed from California. The complementary green and gold ribbon (as pictured) make for a very attractive presentation which is far nicer than many I've seen. The assortment of sweet and savory is well balanced and there's something to please most people. A college student would probably love to receive this package. The most ample sized of the dozen items are the Ghiradelli squares, can of peanuts, Biscotti and Sonoma Jacks cheese wedges. All in all, we really like this gift basket but feel that the price of nearly seventy dollars is a bit high for the small sizes. At fifty dollars or less including delivery, this would be a fantastic gift basket which would be a no brainer for presentation, quality and value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Waste Your Money!, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Wine.com Elegant Extravaganza Gift Basket (Grocery)
The product was ordered,as a gift, and paid for so that it would arrive before Thanksgiving Day. Despite the seller's guarantee, it did not. The seller did not even ship it until the evening after it should have arrived.

The quality of this basket and it's contents is (how else do I say this?) - embarrassing. It is not at all as described. Five pounds of food? No, near two pounds is more accurate and the quality is poor. Unfortunately, there is not one name brand product. It is just a poorly packaged, inaccurately described, mishandled order of cheap quality crackers.

I would recommend that one avoid this vendor. I have nothing good to offer about this disappointing experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›