5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect indoor free HD solution, finally!
Published on September 27, 2010 by Appleboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing spectacular
Published on June 4, 2012 by hawkowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect indoor free HD solution, finally!, September 27, 2010
Appleboy (Gainesville FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I have tried (and returned) 3 'amplified' antennas (including the Winegard SS-3000) before trying this one. None of the previous antennas could catch as many channels as this plain and passive FreeVision antenna, when placed indoors. I just hung it on the wall behind my TV and it catches crystal clear HD signals for ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS etc. Every one of these stations is more than 30 miles from my place, as per AntennaWeb. So I'm quite surprised at the reception. I am still not seeing NBC, but I'm very satisfied with what I am getting for [...].

Just one thing to note is that the extra 3 bucks on this sturdy packaged version isn't really worth it. So I'd recommend saving by buying the FV-HD30 version, if you like.

Bottom line: This antenna is totally worth it and a keeper. Crystal clear (uncompressed) HD virtually free. Truly 'Free'Vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth EVERY penny!, September 23, 2011
Jeremy Clark (Carterville, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I bought this based on other's reviews. I live in Southern Illinois and I thought getting good HD reception on all the local channels here, was hopeless. For some reason, CBS through an antenna is just an urban legend around here! People I know that have huge antennas ran up the side of their house on a pole, can't even get CBS. I live in an upstairs apartment and I bought a new tv a few months ago and I picked up a cheap antenna. I received 4 digital channels through it and they were all spotty. Not one channel was stable. So I bought this, received it 48 hours later, it took about 10 minutes to read the instructions and put it together. I used the existing cable I already had ran to my living room window. It does fit between the blinds and the actual window like my old antenna, but the situation doesn't look too pretty. I do have to figure out another place to put it. But, the antenna itself looks awesome. It almost looks like art! I then turned my TV on, hit the auto-program. My 'digital channels found' went from 4, to 26! I quickly looked for CBS with low expectations, but there it was, in full HD. I've been watching my 5 main local channels (including CBS) for about 5 hours now and it's storming outside tonight. The picture has been crystal clear. Not even one speck of static! I even ran the digital audio from my TV, to my surround sound receiver and most of the programming is in 5.1! I can't remember the last time I bought something I truly felt was worth the money that I spent for it. I wish I could give this thing 6 stars! Plus, it's made in the U.S.! If you are looking for an antenna, save yourself the headache and get this one. Get Netflix streaming, combine it with this, then throw your satellite (and the bill) away! Local channels and radio broadcasting, regardless of the advancements of technology, should always be FREE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Review, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
The first thing you need to do before purchasing an antenna is to find out where, and how far, the tv towers are in your area. You can go to antennaweb.org, or some other similar site to find out.
I was almost hesitant to purchase this because of some of the negative reviews I was reading about this antenna. I've been figuring out a way to cut my cable for a while now. I've tried the RCA rabbit ears, RCA omnidirectional flat antenna, winegard flat antenna, and the leaf flat antenna. The most channels I've ever gotten with these products was 7 channels. To let you know a little about my area, I have giant trees in my back yard, then a river, then a mountain. Checking on antennaweb the map shows several towers 20-45 miles away, most of them in the SE direction. Antennaweb said I would only get 5 weak channels, even if I put an antenna 30' high.
When receiving this product, the directions and the installation were straight-forward and easy. Instead of using the short coax supplied, I hooked up a 25' coax because I knew I would have to find the right position for the antenna. I decided to try my main TV in my living room, because I wasn't able to get any channels with any antenna I've tried. Hooking it up to this TV, I was able to receive 1 channel. A little disappointing, but hopeful because I wasn't able to get any channels before. So, now I tried my upstairs TV where I got 7 channels from the other antennas. I put the antenna in the window, which I could only face South, not SouthEast, I received 4 channels. So I tried the crawlspace area next to the window, which I could only face the antenna South again, this time receiving 5 channels. So now I'm really disappointed and almost ready to give up, thinking this was another antenna and more wasted money. I stopped and thought about finding an area to face it southeast. I put it in the small hallway outside of my bedroom, where I was able to face it southeast. The only problem with this is that the signal would have to travel through the roof, a small crawlspace, then a plaster wall, less I remind you of the outside area I explained before the signals have to get by. I thought this will never work, but ran the channel search again. BOOM, 22 channels! I even got a channel from a tower 40 miles away and the antenna is inside my house. The only channel I didn't get was ABC, but that tower is 45 miles away. Now I'm really excited. I'm going to try it outside, on my roof, to see if I can get ABC and possibly more channels. Now I'm going to get a pre-amplifier, so I can use the existing cabling in my house to push the signals to all 4 TVs in my house.

Remember, you can't trust all reviews, because you don't know if some people checked where their towers were in their area, if they tried different positions with the antenna, or ran a channel search every time. Some people could have just hooked it up, didn't get the channels they were expecting, and just said this antenna doesn't work, it's garbage, don't buy it. Whoever said their rabbit ears worked just as good, is full of it. I've never gotten 22 channels in my area with rabbit ears.

I'll update this review, if I decide to put it up on the roof. I may just be happy with what I have now. I will let you know how it goes pushing the signal to all my tvs, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna, October 23, 2010
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I have been searshing for a good Antenna to ditch Cable, after reading all the reviews for the Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HD Antenna, I was very please with the picture quality and the amount of channels that I recieved from my location. (1) The shipment from Amazon was fast, (2) The Antenna setup was very easy, (3) The Antenna is small and light. I have to say that I live in a apartment building on the 15th Floor with a plane sight to the Manhattan tower from my bedroom window. When I first setup the Antenna it was next to the TV and it picked up 46 channels, next I set it by the window did a rescan and it picked up 54 channels all nice and clear.Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna. I recommend this Antenna to anyone 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice and the one to get, March 27, 2012
Gordon A. Stamper (Richmond Heights, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
This is a very good antenna. Out of the three that I've purchased here on Amazon: (1) Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified HD Antenna, (2) Antennas Direct DB2 High gain UHF Antenna, and this one (3) Winegard Free Vision FV-30BB HDTV Anenna, the last or FV-30BB gets the nod. The Terk is good if you must keep your antenna in the room near the TV (but having a clear window to point the antenna out is better). However, if you have an attic or roof mount then get the FV-30BB. The reason is that the FV-30BB will also pick up VHF as well as UHF. That is important here in Cleveland because Channel 8 (Fox) uses VHF which the DB2 would not pick up. With the FV-30BB I was able to cut commercial service and go with the free over the air TV. I must mentioned that the FV-30BB was coupled with Roku streaming video that together made the difference and enabled me to break the addiction with the Commercial services that were costing me $100.00 per month. This is not intended to be a scientific review but just practical results being reported based on actual personal experience with these three antennas. Bottom line is the FV-30BB put up in my attic does the best job. Thus, this is the excellent choice and the one to get in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and most important Made in the USA, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
Very easy to install and excellent reception. Placed it in the attic and was able to pick up all of San Diego and a couple of Los Angeles channels. Just as the title of my review says, Made in the USA. I just hope that manufacturers realize that most American workers would now pay more for products made in the USA to keep jobs in the USA.

To Amazon management; it would help American consumers buy products made by American workers if Amazon would prominently display Made in the USA on products manufactured domestically. The US Congress, The White House, US corporations and the US Chamber of Commerce will not protect American workers from cheap Chinese and Third World country workers so it is time that we consumers protect our jobs from being outsourced by sending them a message, buy USA made products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing spectacular, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I bought this antenna to replace a $15 Radio Shack antenna. When I first hooked up the Wineguard antenna, it failed miserably. Far, far fewer channels than the Radio Shack. However I noticed that coaxial cable supplied with this antenna is junk. So, I swapped it with the cable I had been using with the Radio Shack and voila! I was able to get two additional channels and I no longer have interference. So, the Wineguard is meeting my minmal expectations but only with a higher quality cable than was supplied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an antenna that works indoors!, December 11, 2010
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
This is the fifth indoor antenna we have tried, and we finally found one that works! We live in a brick townhouse in a city with large hills and tall trees. After the switch to digital TV, the best of our previous antennas would only pick up about 5 stations, only one of which was of interest to us. But this one picked up 23 stations when we mounted it next to a large window upstairs (we live in a condo and are not allowed to put it outside). We do have to adjust the position in order to pick up certain stations, but this is a VAST improvement over anything else we have tried. Yes, it is not the most attractive home accessory, but Winegard's website says that it is paintable and that might help. But we are just so happy to have "real" TV again without paying for cable that we don't mind the appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I can't believe it took me this long to do get free TV. I was going to install this in the attic or outside but it worked so good I was able to install in the basement (much easier installation for me) and got the same channels and clarity. Everything works great but do I live within 10 miles of most of the antenna towers. I highly recommend this product. Now I just need a over the air DVR to come down in price and I'll get one of those next. No more cable bills!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this antenna, March 30, 2012
This review is from: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I had been using a Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception until I tried the Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna. The FV-30BB is placed in the same place that I had the HDTVa, but gets twice as many stations. I highly recommend this antenna, especially for the money.

Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna