Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on December 7, 2010
Bought this when I decided to 'cut the cord'. Live in suburbs of New York City about 40 miles from the broadcast towers (empire state building/GE Building). I get 55 channels as a result. The signal booster that Winegard recommends didn't do enough, so I bought a motorola signal booster (another $40) and the combo really did the trick. HD signals are terrific, analog are fine. Really surprised at how good the HDTV channels are.

I think the construction is actually fine. This unit is mounted on my roof (30ft+ off the ground) and complete exposed to the elements. Using j-mount, we've been through a couple windstorms and haven't really had channels impacts. I highly recommend an additional signal booster when you are this far from doubled the number of channels (originally only got CBS and ABC of the big four, after installing the motorola booster i got all of them).

Downside is directions are horrific - really. If you are mechanically inclined it should take 25-30 min to put together, which is how long it took me, but I could see it taking someone much longer as a result of poor directions.

This is a BIG unit, and not for attic installation.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2012
Someone mentioned this already, but I wanted to emphasize that this
this is over 14 feet long, so won't be suitable for most attic installations.

I wish the description would have said that clearly. It instead says:

99.9 x 15.8 x 13 inches ; 13.6 pounds

but apparently this is the box length. The antenna comes in two sections and
is almost double the box length.
on December 4, 2011
Free at last from Cable! This antenna is a bit over kill for our area since we get strong signals from nearby local stations. However, I wanted to have the capability to pull in farther out stations as well. It performs as advertised and assembly was not a problem. It is VERY large, so I would not recommend it for the attic. Delivery was very quick and the box arrived in good shape even though it was about 12 feet long.
on January 29, 2015
I bought this antenna specifically to pull in tv signals (both UHF-VHF) from about 60 miles. It is big, but not too intimidating. I Installed it on an eave mount at the edge of my roof. I also bought an amplifier, but picked up all the stations i wanted and needed. So, I will wait till a windy, overcast day to see how many signals I am still picking up before I install the amplifier.
In my opinion the antenna is build well except for one feature. That is the plastic module interface between the aluminum wiring on the antenna and coax connection (where you attach your downlead cable). The module is two pieces. One piece is attached to the antenna from the factory. The other is shipped along with the antenna and you install it at the very end of piecing together the antenna.
I was amazed that is was such a piece of junk on an otherwise nice antenna. the rinky-dink, plastic cover was warped. It wouldnt stay together, so I had to use wire ties to keep it from falling apart, since I didnt want to crawl back on the roof later and have to try to repair it later....and it would surely fail if I had not had to rig it.....since it was coming apart before I had even mounted it. That said, the antenna is great. The antenna fits together well. All parts were there. The antenna pulled in all the signals I had anticipated when i purchased it.....the only drawback is the plastic interface module connecting the coax connector to the antenna leads. That is the only negative (yet a major component) in an otherwise nice antenna that pulls in the signals the manufacturer says is will. I give the antenna and "A" and the cheap plastic module attached to the antenna a "D-". I'd give it an "F" but I was able to rig it to work. But I shouldn't have had to rig anything on a new antenna.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2013
This is probably a good antenna if you don't want access to the lower VHF channels. It seems to be well made and went together easily enough. My complaint is that I lost channel 2 and I had to dig pretty deep on the wingard site to find out that this antenna will not pick up channels 2-6. for access to channels 2-6 they recommend Winegard HD7084P Outdoor HDTV Antenna. This information should be upfront for those of us who can't tell by a picture what to expect from an antenna.
on April 25, 2013
The Antenna works great. We put it in the attic, and we get 30 some channels including local channels. The reception is very clear. We love ME TV and Antenna TV stations which broadcast all of the "good old shows". A great buy.
on August 28, 2009
I got this by Fed Ex and it is a big long box. I got it to replace an old antenna in our attic. With DTV, we got most channels from the transmitters 19 miles away but couldn't get PBS. This is likely because they use lower power and we are on a hill on the wrong side facing away from the transmitters. I put this on the floor to partially assemble it before taking it to the attic. I also noted some issues about burs and bent components but it was easy to correct. Once you extend an element away from the main beam, it is almost impossible to turn it back. This was significant for us because we had to mount it 45 degrees from the attic cross braces. The old antenna was 6 or 7 feet long. This thing is a monster in length. When we got up in the attic, the size was really cumbersome. It took several attempts to reposition and move it to a good location. There are a couple of wires on the side of the main beam that have to be inserted in a connector box. There is a note about not having these touch the main beam. They mean it. We could not get it to work at all but after finding the problem and moving them away, we got it to work and pick up all the stations that were broadcast. It gives an excellent signal.

Installation is not for the faint hearted. It took two of us to move this around and it is not easy to put in an attic. Our attic is large but has the usual cross braces. Be cautious if you try it in an attic. If you can find an installer, I suspect that it would have been money well spent.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2013
I live in Eau Claire, WI, where CBS (8) is extremely difficult to receive since it transmits from 50+ miles away to the south. To make matters worse, the southern line of sight from our house consists of a low hill and thick trees. With our old rooftop antenna, CBS would not come in at all, so I bought this antenna hoping (but doubting) that we would receive an okay signal.

After receiving this antenna and slapping it together (be prepared...this beast is bigger than you might expect), I put it up on our roof, assuming CBS would likely still not come in. Thankfully, I was wrong. With a little shift in direction after my first installation, we now receive CBS very well. It breaks up a bit once in a while, but at 50+ miles, that's to be expected. Still, we have had storms since I installed the antenna, and CBS does come in throughout the wind and rain.

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of this antenna and would recommend it to anyone. If it can pull in a good signal from 50+ miles away over hills and through trees, it's a darn good antenna in my book!
on July 29, 2009
Although it's a little on the large side, it was worth it to me so I could receive distant stations. I now easily receive stations 100 miles away (with optional mast-mounted preamplifier and antenna at 30 feet over flat terrain). It may not be for everyone because of it's size, but for me it's perfect. The two boom sections were very tight going together, and I had to stand on a ladder and pound the antenna on it's end several times to get the boom assembled, but having a tight fit is a good thing. I wish the phasing box had screw terminals to connect the phasing wires, but they use thin forked pieces of metal that push over the wires. I anticipate this causing problems in the distant future when wind flexing takes it's toll. You'll need a substantial antenna rotator with an antenna this large. I used an AR-40 rotator. A Channel Master (or other ordinary TV antenna rotator) would be marginal for an antenna this large. The antenna aiming of most of the new "digital" TV antenna rotators are not repeatable enough, and the rotational weight of this antenna will quickly throw your settings off requiring frequent rotor setting adjustments. This antenna is extremely directional, and being off by 10 to 15 degrees will cause you to experience dropouts. Aiming accuracy is very important with this antenna! Buy yourself a large heavy-duty $300.00 rotator that uses analog direction sensing feedback instead of dead-reckoning and forgo the problems.
on October 4, 2011
Installed this antenna for a friend in area with poor reception. Antenna is mounted on a 16 foot mast on the ground. Received excellent reception on all stations. Now picking up stations from Columbia SC to Raleigh area.
Antenna is very directional and if you have stations in different directions should be used with a rotor. We found locations and directions on for aiming antenna.
A Winegard preamp was installed with the antenna since the signal is divided between 4 sets.
Overall getting much better results than expected.
It would be good to have 2 people to assemble and install due to the size of the antenna.
Putting the 2 sections together and waiting to unfold elements while the antenna is on the roof makes it somewhat easier to handle.
Recommend this antenna to anyone needing better reception.