4.0 out of 5 stars Narrow FOV is biggest drawback for this
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:56 Mins
Published on June 9, 2012 by El Tombo

2.0 out of 5 stars High Hopes, Very Disappointed
I purchased this to document the various home improvement projects that I do around the house. Last year I built a pergola and wished I had something like this. This year, I resodded my front yard and so I used this camera to document that project. Unfortunately, I was not satisfied with the results (from the camera) at all.

First, here's the good parts:
*...
Published on April 16, 2012 by Daniel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Narrow FOV is biggest drawback for this, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Wingscapes WSCT01-00114 TimelapseCam 8.0 Weatherproof 8MP Digital Camera (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Length:: 0:56 Mins

Bought this to take pictures of my garden growing. The video attached is the result of 1.5 months of pics taken every 30 min during daylight (0700-1900). I had 4 rechargeable "eneloops" in there for a month straight and they were not dead when I changed out the memory card and recharged them. So you can use these rechargeables even though I think the instructions say not to.

Works OK, but as others have stated the field of view is real narrow. I put this as far away as I could get it and it still doesn't cover even half of my patio. For reference: the far wall of my patio is around 18-20ft away from the camera and a 6ft tall person (me) standing about 5ft from the far wall gets chopped off.

If I had to do it again, I would have probably ordered one of the other "birdcam" models. They have SLIGHTLY wider FOV, even though they are like $50 more. I'd pay much more to get real wide angle like 24mm equivalent or better, but I see nothing out there at any price (except for homebrew stuff). If anyone reading this has found a better setup, please comment.

As a side note: you can see the dynamic range issues for the camera when part of the patio is in the sun and the rest is not (the camera is pointing ESE at this location). But frankly I expect that. This is not a high quality digital camera you're getting for $100. I don't see where the other guy is complaining when he points the camera into the sun and gets lens flare. Wow, really? If you put the light source at your back you get acceptable results.

Pros:
-It's cheap.
-It's easy to program for timelapse pix.
-It's weatherproof.
-Good battery life.

Cons:
-Narrow FOV.
-No real viewer to preview when setting up (more annoying since I have to put this in awkward places due to the narrow FOV).
-Fairly cheapo camera. Some cell phones are better these days. But then it does the job.

EDIT-->
The uploaded video looks REALLY bad on Amazon. The graininess is not in the original. I'll put in some frames as pictures to give a better idea of the image quality. Made the video using "Avidemux" which is a free tool. May come in handy for others making videos from a group of jpegs.

2.0 out of 5 stars High Hopes, Very Disappointed, April 16, 2012

First, here's the good parts:
* Easy to program (Picture frequency, start/stop times, etc)
* Easy to turn results in to a video using Windows Movie Maker, just import the stills and you're done!
* I didn't have battery problems and I used the same batteries for about 20 hours of pictures.

Now for the negatives:
* Contrary to the item specs, this is really only a 5 megapixel camera. The manual states that it interpolates to get to 8mp.
* The FoV is very narrow, I'd say it's comparable to a 2x or 3x zoom on my canon point and shoot.
* Not enough of a hood on the lens so you have to be very careful with direct sun hitting the lens and giving you a terrible lens flare.
* Pictures out of focus, despite setting the correct distance
* General poor quality pictures, I believe due to the auto-white balance though I didn't play around with this part enough to know for sure

The narrow field of view was a real deal breaker for me, I positioned the camera across the street in the neighbor's yard and still couldn't get my whole front yard in the picture. This camera is really designed for close up photography I believe such as for using on a bird feeder or to watch a plant grow. This fails miserably for anything that has a large area in it, such as a construction project.

It was very disappointing to complete my project and have a timelapse video covering 20 hours of work that could barely be watched due to the poor picture quality and because it didn't show all of the action. I've added two pictures that show the lens flare, focus issue, and narrow FoV.

I'm returning the camera.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Small FOV, March 31, 2012
Woodrow (Southeast USA) - See all my reviews
The device works relatively well with regards to the time based functionality, however the most noticeable challenge that this device has is it's incredibly small Field Of View (FOV). This means that the device must be placed much further away from your target area than it should be. I compared the FOV to several digital cameras that I own, each with different FOV's and the camera in this device is by far the smallest. It seems to be smaller than 40 degrees, (maybe even smaller than 20 degrees), which renders the device useless for all but specific applications (thus the 2 stars). I would go so far as to say it is antequated by toay's standards. It's low light performance is abysmal, even in dusk and dawn it takes very poor quality and extremely dark photos. Positives are its rugged enclosure (which is much heavier than you might expect) and its fairly easy user setup, although the setup screen is not backlit. We went through Four brand new AA batteries in just one 24 hour period with interval set to 10 seconds and NO flash, which means the device is a bit inefficient for modern standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wingscapes TimelapseCam 8.0, January 28, 2012
Tom "ontrac1" (Flemington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Recently purchased several of these newer models to supplement the older versions we have been using for a couple years now with great results. Very easy to use & set up and picture & video quality is remarkable. Time lapse shooting at various intervals from 10 seconds to 1 day, there is a setting for any purpose. I typically use the 10 second interval for projects taking 8 hours or less. Sometimes we set up more than one camera on a job to capture different perspectives. For example during a demolition & reconstruction project that may take 5 months, we have one camera set on 10 or 30 seconds to detail the demolition process and another one set on a longer interval to capture the entire project from demo to completion. We use iMovie & iPhoto on a Mac to edit and make movies from our stills. A great investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TimeLapse Camera!, November 24, 2011
I bought this time lapse cam for pinfeathers and was a little worried because I am totally technically challenged. Well, I couldn't be more pleased with the service and the product. I got all the info I needed and honestly, even for a technical dummy like me, it was easy. I have done a couple of doll making projects and the results are excellent. So easy to use and I plan on taking it to my friends place (he's building a restaurant) to photo the construction from beginning to end. You won't be sorry on this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, June 27, 2012
Purchased the camera to make pictures of a construction project. I am very happy with the device and tested it in the office to see who was eating all the trail mix :) Very easy to setup and create a schedule for making pictures at certain intevals. For $100 the images are of great quality. I can record the whole project easily on one 2GB SD card making 1 picture every 15 minutes from 6AM to 5PM, 5 days a week. I changed batteries every 2 months to make sure it would still run, but they were not dead yet. The software for PC is very easy to use and allows you to easily create a video, just choose the resolution and images per second and press create video. The only negative is that you can only make videos using 300 pictures, so you have to select 300 images at the time to create multiple video's. Using Windows Moviemaker you can add the videos together to create one longer video.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad picture quality, July 2, 2012
I was very disappointed about the picture quality. You have only 3 choices to set the focus ring. I have tried the furthest away because I want to do architecture timelapse - everything in the pictures seems to be out of focus. Also in not so bright light conditions it doesn't perform very well.

And with the small field of view it is impossible to use it for a building site - that's what I wanted to use it for. I am going to return the camera. Too bad, because the solid body construction, the straps, tripod nuts and special mounting brackets are absolutely perfect for longterm outside use of the camera. But what's the use of the great construction if the pictures simply don't have an acceptable quality?

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible quality and easy to use!, March 21, 2012
Susan (SAINT PETERSBURG, FLORIDA, United States) - See all my reviews
I am amazed at the quality of these pictures! I love taking sunrise pictures and I COULD ACTUALLY SEE THE SOLAR FLARES in a few shots! I cannot find any true problems with this camera given the price. The software is extremely easy to use and very versatile. I have total control over the speed of the video (super simple to create!!) as well as length.
Unfortunately the camera must start and stop on the hour. That tends to waste space if the event occurs at the half hour (or near it). The camera does have a 24 hour clock.

A CHILD could easily operate this camera and software! Just set it and forget it! Weather proof and very sturdy casing.
The samples I posted are from the 2nd time I used this camera. It was set for infinity - I have so many fun settings yet to explore!

The HARD part s WAITING to see the pictures!
The ONLY problem is that the viewfinder cannot be accessed IF the camera is attached to a solid surface such as a tree. This can make positioning the camera difficult. I found the easiest solution was to snap a single shot and then adjust the camera's angle. It is a small hassle because the camera does not display the pictures - you must remove the card and read it - being careful not to jar the camera as you access the card.
IF the camera had a view screen on the FRONT of the camera and could be set for start/stop times other than the exact hour it would be totally perfect!
I can't wait to purchase the motion detection camera from them!

Sorry Amazon did not post my pictures in order!!

1.0 out of 5 stars supposedly for construction documentation, May 18, 2013
Looks like they took a wildlife camera and repackaged it. You can tell by the number of close up focus settings and the only setting that allows the building to be in the picture is infinity. They also claim much more resolution than the camera gets by FAR. You also cannot tell if the camera is functioning. We lost several weeks as it seems to have turned itself off and we even have the solar panel to keep it going. Would be happy to purchase some OTHER camera that takes excellent pictures if someone knows of one. Maybe it works for flowers?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Wingscapes camera, March 19, 2013
Roxanneboscobel (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
Based on my use of the birdcam for several years, I understood going in any limitations this camera might have. So, with that acknowledgement, it works great! The tiny screen used to make settings and turn it on may seem very old school, but once you get the hang of it, it is very functional. The images download easily. Before counting on it to take photos of an important project, test it out so you'll know what it can do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Wingscapes WSCT01-00114 TimelapseCam 8.0  Weatherproof 8MP Digital Camera (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
$109.95 $99.95
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies