Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Winners: A Novel
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 29, 2013
I am a long time fan of Danielle Steel's novels, I have just learned to pick and choose through the years what novels are the best...Well, sometimes she still surprises me..."Winners" is just that a Winner..A heart warming and touching story about "Survivors"..This story had me engrossed, shocked, crying, edgy, laughing and smiling by the end of the book....I couldn't ask for better and couldn't put this book down..I think what still pulls me back to her books is for a few moments in time you get lost in this complicated, hopeless saga, with a happily ever after ending world..Sometimes that is a refreshing and good feeling..

She opens her book right from the start with two unexpected shocks immediately...I really didn't see the second one coming..Now for the Thomas and Matthew's families their entire course of lives are altered forever..It is a devastating chain reaction...Bill Thomas grieving for a daughter that's still alive but he feels she is essentially dead...Almost selfishly at times, because his hopes and dreams through Lily have ended....Jessie Matthews is grieving for her soul mate, losing herself and children along the way..Tim was a surgeon too, but he completed them all...One of the most heart breaking scenes in this novel was Tim Matthews' funeral when it started to snow big flakes it reminded me of both the families' tears falling down........
Will Bill find that elusive miracle for Lily or be able to come to terms with his daughter's prognosis..Will Jessie find her will to live and use her gift again....Will both families be able to heal and become whole...Who will end up at the Winners Circle or Lily Pad in the end.....

After reading this book it stuck with me for days becasue it's not just about "Survivors"...Danielle Steel was able to tap into a world that we hardly ever hear about which is Spinal Cord Injuries and people with Disabilities...According to the last NSCIA statistics in the U.S. alone aproximatley 12,000 new injuries occur every year ranging from paraplegic to quadraplegic....This book shows a great example that with the right care and rehabilitation people go one to live normal lives like the rest of us..Some end up achieving many of their goals and dreams just like in this story...I was very impressed with the details and research that went into this book...That is what makes this novel a "WINNER".........
on July 20, 2014
(SPOILERS)

This novel takes a tragedy, solves all the problems with money, and ties everything up neatly with a big red bow. The premise is promising: A teenage skiing sensation has her Olympic dreams ended by a devasting spinal injury, causing her to lose the use of her legs. Then Dad takes over. Luckily he has multiple millions of dollars, which he uses to solve every obstacle. Her Dad immediately spends a lot of money to have their home remodeled, gets her a car with manual controls, and then spends 10 million on a rehab facility to help others. How nice for them. All problems solved with money. Then we have a teenage girl who has just lost her dreams and never really seems to get very upset about it. She immediately retains her former skiing coach (at Dad's expense) and trains for the Paralympics. Of course, she has romance too. But she doesn't have a romance with the quadriplegic teen who becomes her very close friend and to whom she confides everything. No, she has a romance with the perfectly healthy, walking son of her doctor, even though she hasn't known him that long. She also gets into Princeton and thanks to Dad's money has everything she needs to lead a normal life. I realize DS is loaded, but her readers are not, and it would be nice to see problems solved without throwing huge chunks of cash at them. The father gets a romance too, and so does his friend who came back into their lives on the brink of suicide. All of the romances are easy to see coming. All of the problems are solved with cash. The father has endless millions to make everyone's lives happy. It would be nice to see a more realistic approach to the challenges faced in this book.
on November 1, 2013
This book is emotional and inspiring. It keeps you captivated and wanting you to read more to find out what happens. It makes you think about life and thankful for what you have. I would recommend it to anyone.
VINE VOICEon December 6, 2013
This is probably one of the best books Ms. Steel has ever written. You will be hooked from the first chapter. Accidents happen and they can cause injury, illness and sometimes even death. Most times these are unexpected and the way we deal with these sudden shocks can change our lives forever.

Lily Thomas is an only child who father Bill will do anything for her and money is never an object. While Lily is practicing on the ski slopes for the Olympics she is involved in a tragic accident that will change her and her dads life forever

Dr. Jessie Matthews is a neurosurgeon who has a loving husband and four adoring children and a somewhat perfect life. Unfortunately as in life nothing is forever and on the night she is operating on Lily tragedy strikes her own life.

In order for Lily to get better she will need rehab and so begins an idea that Bill comes up with while talking to his college buddy, Joe who was a financial manager but whose life also took a terrible turn. Together they embark on a marvelous journey of what they think is a dream but promise to make it happen.

Since other people will be needed for this to happen they contact Carole who is a psychologist at Mass General and who also has had the most difficult year of her life.

Suddenly this dream is starting to fit together like the pieces of an intricate puzzle and it is amazing how things will turn out. Winner is definitely that and you will be engrossed with it. I think it is one of her best.
on June 26, 2014
On the one hand, it proves that with unlimited funds you can overcome anything. On the other hand, this story shows that regardless of the adversity, one should focus on the future and its possibilities and utilize the blessings you do have. A person of average means would have some incredible financial challenges on top of the physical challenges, and that story would have been more inspirational.
on December 9, 2013
So different from the Danielle Steel of days gone by. I bought and read this novel on my Kindle. I loved it so much, I bought hard copies to give to friends and family who are feeling down and out and needing a lift right now. I encourage anyone who is experiencing doubt or known someone who is feeling that they cannot accomplish what that had set out to do, to read this book or give it to that friend. This work is fantastic. I have been through a hard year where I saw some of my dreams all but spoiled but with the help of God and the prayers of my friends I am overcoming. But, many of my friends are not in that position and are missing their previously set goals. I want them to feel the joy that I feel as this year closes. This book will do that for them. Read it. If you are on top of the world, it will cement you there and lead you to a victorious move to benefit others, and if you are feeling down, you will soar to new heights. Thank you, Danielle Steel, you did us all a favor with this work.
on November 20, 2013
This book was sort of boring. I made myself finish reading it and at the end felt a sort of "so what" in finishing.

There were no real surprises in the story...everything just seemed too perfect for real life. One detail that bothered me (and there were some others) was when neurosurgeon Jessie decides to take the job in Denver because of money problems after her doctor husband dies. She explains that there was no life insurance because he was young and hadn't gotten around to it! Well, he was in his 40's and had four children, one less than a year away from college. And don't most hospitals have life insurance as a benefit of employment?

I guess this might have been a plot device by the author to get Jessie to almost have to take the Denver job, but it did not make a lot of sense to me.

I decided to get this book when I saw the author interviewed on TV. Wish I had skipped it.
on November 10, 2013
This was a 'warm and fuzzy' book, and left you feeling good after you read it. And the title was perfect - Because even after much pain and heartache, everyone did end up a winner. I cannot imagine being an Olympic skier, than having an unfortunate accident take all that away. But Lily, who in my opinion, was definitely the heroine of this book, didn't let it faze her but got on with her life. Her father, having lost his wife, and having Lily as is only daughter, didn't take it so well, at least not at first. But we he finally accepted her limitations, and realized he could not just help her, but others, as he was financially able, it started a domino effect. Jeese, Carol, Joe, and Bill, quite a foursome. But let's not leave out Teddy, another paraplegic that had practically been abandoned by his parents at Craig rehabilitation center, still found the strength to do art, although the use of his arms were limited. The book was a win-win situation from beginning to end. Most of the characters just had to change they way they thought about life, and when they all came together, the Lily Pad was created, a rehab without the restrictions of Craig, and with the input of people like Lily and Teddy made it a huge success. Fantastic book all the way around. It makes you think of the proverbial saying, 'when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade'. That's what this book was about, making lemonade!
on September 22, 2015
I have read many of Danielle Steeles older books and until Winners her Family Album was my favorite. But Winners was fantastic. It was a story that I wish could have gone on and on. The characters are heartwarming and draw you in immediately. If you have not read Danielle Steele in a long or if you never read her, definitely pick this book up. It is a book you are not going to want to put down......
on May 8, 2014
This novel was exciting from the first page to the last page. I wish that all of her novels were this good. The storyline was amazing. How people with disabilities can lead a normal life and still challenge themselves was amazing. I loved it. It was my favorite book.