Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 3, 2009
Jon M Huntsman is a humble & self effacing man who quietly goes about his business; and business is good. He's a self-made billionaire who knows that success is attainable through hard work, determination, and of course; through honesty, integrity and generosity.

This book captures Huntsman's vision of setting good examples for the rest of society, by consistently doing the right things. This is a man who builds trust through his actions, and helps those less fortunate with his contributions of time and money. In his mind, whatever success he's attained is irrelevent to the big picture; and that's making our planet a better place to inhabit.

I'm sure all of us, from time to time, have witnessed actions of people we once trusted that made us think otherwise; whether it be shaving a stroke off their golf game to avoid losing a few bucks, double crossing us on a business deal, or worse, sabotaging a career. Once the trust has been destroyed, everything else collapses with it.

Huntsman, on the other hand, with his remarkable philosophy on life, is a shining example that successful people are measured more by their basic core values as human beings, than their net worth. Some, if they're really good; possess the ability to do it all.

Huntsman clearly fits that bill; and we're all just a little bit better off because of it. This is a great book, written by a truly great man.
on April 25, 2009
After seeing Jon Huntsman on The Glenn Beck show, I knew I wanted to read this book and find out more about the man and his philosophy. I feel the book was worth the purchase price (especially because he donates the profits from the book), but I was a bit disappointed. I guess I expected more details regarding his life growing up and what shaped him. There were snippets, but not anywhere near enough. Also expected more details of his dealings in business, the ups and downs and how his values, honesty, and ethics carried him through. There were definitely a few examples, but if you've seen him on Glenn Beck, you've heard most of them probably.

Really wanted to be able to give this 5 stars, and I would give Mr Huntsman 5 stars for his standards in life.
1010 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2009
What a refreshing view of ethical business practices by one of the most down-to-earth men to ever be successful. Jon Huntsman is an inspirational figure who practices the basic human skill and desribes how we are born with these "sandbox" skills and ethical behaviors. Corporate America, WAKE UP!
on November 30, 2010
While I agree with the main messages of the book, I found the first two chapters very preachy--authoritative-sounding declarations of right and wrong with no stories from his vast experiences to back them up. Right when I was about to stop reading, it started getting a little better. In chapter 3, he starts opening up a little more with stories from his own life. That is where I believe the true value of the book lies. In the end, I was satisfied that I got to know the author a little better, and I appreciated the messages he tried to promote in the book--integrity, ethics, morality, graciousness, philanthropy, pride of work, etc.

I also appreciated his explaining of the difference between playing hard ball in negotiations vs. integrity in negotiations. It's not necessarily about nice guys vs. mean guys. It's about operating with integrity and ethical behavior.

Like Huntsman, I have seen a lot of people who lack integrity and trustworthiness in business. It is refreshing to see successful people promoting honesty and integrity.

In the end I was glad I read the book, and I got value from reading it.
on April 29, 2009
Many ethics courses taught at business and law schools across the country for the past decade or so have focused on the idea of "situational ethics" - a Machiavellian concept that supports no objective "right or wrong" only contextual circumstances that define "right and wrong" for a specific moment in time. While that may be interesting for theoretical discussions, it has little place in the real world and business leader Jon M. Huntsman would agree. In his breakthrough book titled - "Winners Never Cheat" - Huntsman point blank states that there are overriding moral principles that need to guide our work and lives. Huntsman is chairman and founder of the largest privately held chemical company in the world. He writes that he built his career and fortune on ethical principles including accountability; integrity; addressing the needs of others; honor; sacrifice; personal responsibility and teamwork. Soundview highly recommends this book because Huntsman provides many examples where he personally made difficult, moral decisions that (he argues) always turn out to be the right decision in the long run. Every organization would be well served by reading this book and putting it into practice.
on April 19, 2011
I appreciate the basic idea behind this book, but the main thrust of the text seems to be that Jon M. Huntsman and his company can do no wrong. It comes across as more of a PR puff piece than as an inspirational or informational guide for business and life.
on July 27, 2013
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Crises must and can be resolved in moral ways. In so doing, keep in mind two things: 1) The situation hardly ever is as bad as it seems. It will pass. Better times are ahead. If nothing else, history tell us that...2) Prosperous times are no guarantee we will adhere to a morally righteous path. Most people strongly adhere to a fixed code of ethics whether the economy is up or down, but some feel a sense of need for even more financial gain, regardless of the consequences."

2- "Play by the Rules...Compete fiercely and fairly - but no cutting in line. Which rules we honor and which we ignore determine personal character, and it is character that determines how closely we will allow our value system to affect our lives."

3- "There are, basically, three kinds of people: the unsuccessful, the temporarily successful, and those who become and remain successful. The difference, I am convinced, is character."

4- "Courage may be the single most important factor in identifying leadership. Individuals may know well what is right and what is wrong but fail to act decisively because they lack the courage their values require."

5- "We need to eliminate lawyers - simply reduce their modern-day omnipresence in our dealings. Use them for legal advice and leave other decisions to the experts."

6- "When reminded of our core values, the tendency for deception decreases."

7- "Some people earn admiration and respect. If you must choose one, however, go for respect every time."

8- "When it comes to grudges, we all have held on to some for too long. What separates winners from losers is how fast we banish those demons."

9- "Graciousness in next to Godliness...treat competitors, colleagues, employees, and customers with respect...(Graciousness) embodies love, kindness, sensitivity, and charity."

10- "(In discussing family business two rules apply) Rule 1...check your ego at the door...everyone knows the abilities and shortcomings of the others...Rule 2...be a cheerleader for each other. Seek good fortune for the other person first."

11- "We all owe a portion of our success to others, incurring a debt in the process, and the only way to repay that assistance is by sharing your good fortune."

12- "So how does one bring about the restoration of value-based behavior in the marketplace and in the other arenas of modern life? I offer four simple suggestions as follows: 1) When you engage in something that affects others, first ask yourself: Is this right? Would I like to be treated this way? 2) Take your values to work. Don't disconnect them when you sit down at your desk. There should not be a conflict between making a profit and adhering to traditional principles of decency and fairness. 3) Consider yourself your brothers' and sisters' keeper and set the example for ethical behavior. 4) Make the underpinnings of your life a string of f-words (phonetically, at least): family, faith, fortitude, fairness, fidelity, friendship, and philanthropy."
on June 23, 2010
Jon Huntsman says a whole lot in 206 small pages. He reminds us that there is no victory when there is no integrity. The behavior in corporate America the past few years should make this book a mandatory read for every executive and every board member of every company. We've been confusing valuable with value for too long and Jon Huntsman's message is a reminder that not only is integrity the right path to follow, it is also the most profitable path to follow!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 22, 2012
So, the beginning of this book reads a little like "This guy is the best guy that ever roamed the earth and this is why." That part kind of annoyed me. Nobody is as kind, prefect and selfless as this guy is made out to be. I'm sorry, I don't believe it. The rest of the book I actually found to have merit. Even though the slightly brag/tell style of this book made me shake my head at times, I did feel the book was a good example for people in any stage of their business to follow. Common sense would dictate that if we want to succeed at whatever we choose to do in life we should try to get there by taking the high road.

I thought the author did a pretty good job of giving examples of what he was talking about in regards to how to make the right choice when faced with a question of ethics. There were some places that I thought the thought could have been expanded more ti incorporate knowledge for smaller less Forbe's like businesses. Perhaps the author has had so much success as a fortune five-hundred CEO that he has forgotten that not all of us are in his shoes.

I kind of felt like this book was the "Thou shalt not" section of the bible for the business model. It offered some good, common sense advice, but at the same time, I think most of the parables were pretty obvious. Overall it was an interesting read and did have some jewels buried in it.
VINE VOICEon May 15, 2013
It's nearly impossible in today's greed driven society to find a business person with solid, unbreakable integrity. Monsanto Chemical, Dow Chemical and countless food manufacturing companies, ie: Kellogg, General Mills sleep in the same bed as the Federal Government who enables the use of toxic, poisonous GMO foods, that has destroyed vast areas of the land worldwide, killed animals and people through diseases created by GMO foods. Their attitude is "the public be damned". Write to the politicians who allegedly represent you and you get stonewalled and B.S.'d to death.

In this top notch book, John Huntsman sets the bar high and teaches others how to do business without destroying your competition. He feels, and I fully support this notion, that there is room in the pool for everyone. He teaches the basic character treasures like honesty, integrity, honor, truthfulness, and more. All qualities foreign to 95% of business and industry today.

After reading it, I felt inspired by such a honorable man. Bravo!