Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Winnie All Day Long: Brand New Readers
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 21, 2000
This is a wonderful book for brand new and aspiring readers. It is a very inexpensive set of 4 short picture books with wonderful episodes about life with a dog, Winnie. For dog owners, these pictures of everyday situations are laugh-out-loud humor. For everyone, the stories are intriguing and charming. The illustrations have enough going on in them to make the reader want to go back to them over and over. Winnie's expressions are incredibly expressive and irresistible.
on January 4, 2001
This series of four booklets show the main character, a giant dog named Winnie, as she goes through her day, interacting with her family. If you own a dog, particularly a big dog, you will feel as though you are seeing your dog in the story. The basic language that is presented in repition, make these booklets a delightful way for the new reader to get started and experience immediate success. I intend to give the books to a fiend of mine who teaches 1st grade.
on October 12, 2013
I almost never review products but this one made me feel compelled. I finally have gotten my 4 year old to start the process of reading as we used to program to get him to sound out words (clicknkids looney tunes). I LOVE that program btw! He can read easy words now that he can sound out. This is the start of reading like sam, mat, him, in, is, are, etc. He also has site words memorized like "the". Words in the Winnie book are long and difficult. Guessing at what word is on the page is NOT the beginning of reading. My first grader on the other hand of course could read these books but whats the point. He has mastered chapter books and these books would bore him into not reading anymore. I am bored reading these and my son can not sound them out. They are pointless. The BOB books on the other hand our awesome for first time readers and use words my son can read. They are also cute! He wants to finally use his new skills. I can see the frustration as he tries to sound out huge words. Here is an example from 2 pages.

Winnie sleeps on Mommy's chair. Winnie sleeps on Daddy's chair. I mean you must be kidding me. He can read the word "on" twice from 2 whole pages. So he tries to guess instead, after he gives up on trying to sound them out, and says things like Winnie lays on the chair.

Now if you bought these for an infant or a 2 year old and want something to read to them, go for it. Don't expect a child old enough to use the words in these books to have any interest in reading them themselves.

The 5 I spend on these books make it not worth my time to send them back but wanted to save other people time in purchasing them.
on December 1, 2002
Great books for this age group are difficult to come by, and Leda Schubert has created two of them with Winnie Plays Ball and Winnie All Day Long. A huge, lovable dog, Winnie proves to be a totally appealing character for young children, and her activities engage their imaginations. These books have the same classic charm as Cynthia Rylant's Henry and Mudge stories, and they are enormously popular with very young children.