Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more

on December 22, 2007
Before I bought this book I had read a few comments complaining about the color of the pages... somewhat yellowish in an almost but not quite parchmenty sort of way. Oh bother, said I, This is coloring my experience of the book. It's been in the back of my mind through every chapter, "Do I like this? Or do I not?" First let me say I love the brushed watercolors over the illustrations... I'm enthralled by the book jacket and the way the window is lit up by the colored version beneath on the actual cover... and the truth is I would have picked a slightly different page color -- but that's besides the point. It's still a lovely edition and my first grader certainly has no complaints.

On top of that, I'd forgotten how wonderful Pooh is. I'm so jaded by the Disney versions that invade every store and home (except mine) that I've spent a lot of time bypassing poor Pooh & Co altogether. We had recently revamped reading aloud here at home because books "written for first graders" were too mindless, books written at the reading level of Pooh today are written for an intellectual level of thought and humor that is beyond the first grader (A. A. Milne had an incredible gift for including all levels of maturity in these works) so our attempts there got tossed aside as my first grader played with his toes, fingers, hair and anything else he could reach because the books just weren't "keeping him." So I tallied up a new library budget and between Amazon and Abe Books did an overhaul... Pooh certainly is one that has hit the spot. The writing is more like how I would speak to my son, but the story is still appealing to the imagination of a first grader, the plot easily managed... so we've started each sit down with a couple of Milne poems and then followed it up with a chapter or two from this and The House At Pooh Corner Deluxe Edition thank the heavens for older books still in print! Do yourSELF the same favor, and while you're at it, toss out any of those Disney Pooh books... this will do so much more for your child's development.
22 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2007
First of all, as pretty as the die-cut dust jacket is, it's prone to tearing. And if you have young children this is likely to be an issue, which sort of spoils the whole collector's/heirloom edition thing. Second, although I would ordinarily like the cream colored pages and colored illustrations, I don't like how they did it for this edition. Starting in the early '90s Dutton published full-color editions of all four of Milne's books (Winnie-the-Pooh, The House At Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young, and Now We Are Six) on white paper, and the illustrations blended perfectly with the pages. Unfortunately, for this 80th anniversary edition the publisher seems to have simply reused the color pictures from the 1991 edition, complete with the white backgrounds for each illustration. The effect of this against the cream colored pages of this new book looks a bit sloppy to me, as if someone had cut out the pictures from the 1991 edition and pasted them onto the pages of this new one. The older color editions of Milne's books are still available through Amazon (search for "Winnie-the-Pooh full-color gift edition"), and in my opinion they're nicer than this new edition.
22 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2004
This is a review of the Jim Broadbent recording of the first Winnie the Pooh book. Although it does seem to include the other recordings I have heard, and I expect his version of The House at Pooh Corner would be quite similar.
Jim Broadbendt does a great job reading us WtP. Anyone who has heard the Charles Kuralt version- this version is 300% better. Jim not only has a sense of of humor, but does a different voice for each character. Two things sorely lacking on the CK versions. Now, for those who have heard the Peter Dennis recordings, well, those are better, there's no getting around that. Peter's piglet cannot be topped and he also does the most wonderful versions of the songs I have ever heard. But alas, those tapes are no longer available and Dennis never recorded the entire book(s). So, I figure Jim is still deserving of the 5 stars.
Broadbent does a wonderful job of bringing out the humor in the stories, something which the Kuralt recordings do not. His Eeyore does sound a bit like Ringo Starr- but, that works rather well now, doesn't it? Pooh, well, he's a bit on the not-so-bright side, but he's cheerful and trustworthy. Piglet does sound timid and sweet. Rabbit, well, he could be a bit more edgey in these. Jim has made Rabbit a bit more sympthetic a character than I envision him. Still, the subtle nuances are not lost, even on children. And, it is nice to have an unabridged version of the story available.
My children just love these cds. Which is nice. It's always good to have something that the entire family enjoys and is still a worthwhile use of time. Especialy something that one can listen to in the car that doesn't bore the pants off the driver and yet amuses the children enough to keep them quiet. I highly recommend this version for anyone who would like to expose their child to the original Pooh stories.
on January 3, 2007
We had these books on tape several years ago for our older kids, so when we added a baby this year we knew that the cd's had to be found for him. We looked all over for them, and were so happy to finally find them on Amazon! Peter Dennis is the perfect narrator for the Pooh stories (the real Christopher Robin certainly agreed!), so even though we found the books on cd by other narrators before finding these, we chose to wait until the Peter Dennis set could be found. He does such a wonderful job on the voices of the characters, and he switches back and forth so naturally and smoothly that he makes listening to the books a true pleasure. Not only are the cds soothing and fun to listen to for the baby and for the kids, but they're also fun and nostalgic to listen to for the parents. They aren't annoying to listen to like a lot of other kid-oriented cds can be.

If you're looking to give your child some listening enjoyment that won't hype him or her up with too much craziness, and you love the classic beloved Pooh Bear, then these are for you!
My five-and-a-half year old daughter loves listening to books on CDs, especially when she is lying in bed (after we've read a book together)at bedtime. It calms and soothes her, and she seems to prefer listening to stories than some soothing music. It usually takes her about 20-30 minutes before she falls into a deep sleep, so I was looking for something that she could listen to over a couple of days. I looked at some of her favorite stories and Winnie-the-Pooh has definitely stood the test of time - she's been reading and listening to Pooh and company's adventures for the past four years, and can never have enough!

This particular audio CD consists of a full-cast unabridged dramatization of Winnie-The-Pooh and The House At Pooh Corner. The cast is as follows:

Pooh: Stephen Fry
Rabbit: Robert Daws
Owl:Michael Williams
Christopher Robin: Steven Web

There are 4 CDs altogether:
CD 1: Stories 1-6 (67:30)
CD 2: Stories 7-10 (57:06)
CD 3: Stories 1-5 (68:52)
CD 4: Stories 6-10 (74:10)

Though the recommended age group on the CD is ages 8 to 11, I think younger listeners who are familiar with the stories and are keen (and patient enough) to listen to the stories will also enjoy this dramatization as my daughter has. The voices are rich and and lovely to listen to - one truly feels like the Hundred Acre Woods and its inhabitants have come alive, and I found myself enjoying it too! Recommended!
on February 5, 1999
I have read this entire collection. It's really fascinating. Although I found it was a little hard for young children to stay focussed through out the whole story. It would be best for kids ages 5 and up.
on September 9, 2010
My 2-year old son absolutely loves listening these before he goes to sleep, while he's playing, in the car... pretty much any time. The actors all do a fabulous job of bringing the characters to life. However, if you've read the originals, there's something special about the way Milne writes that's left out in the dramatization. The rhythm of his writing, with the "He said...said he" and such is so much fun to read, as are his descriptions of how the characters said things, which are all left out in this production. I love these, but I'm going to get the Peter Dennis recordings so we can hear the stories as Milne wrote them.
on October 27, 2000
These are the original Pooh stories, poems and drawings bythereal author and illustrator, not the poor Disney imitation. Acceptno substitutes to these witty and unforgettable books.
on January 26, 2010
So delightful...these actors bring Pooh, Piglet and the 100 Acre Wood to life in such a way you will forget you ever even heard of the Disney versions. It's like a whole new story to discover. We have been listening to these with our kids for about 10 years, and we wore out the tapes, so we need the cds to replace them. One nice side effect is that out kids learned to imitate a variety of english accents very well!
on October 19, 2000
If you are a lover of "classic" Pooh, the Milne version with art illustration by Ernest H. Shepard, then you will love these calendars with excerpts from the THE HOUSE AT POOH CORNER, WINNIE-THE-POOH and other A.A. Milne writings. The stickers at the back of the calendar are great for children (and adults) to use to identify significant and special days. I am a grandmother and give these calendars to family because they are such fun! Pooh still brightens our lives.